What Influenced the purchase of your Motorcycle?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by TheProphet, Aug 16, 2018.

?

What Influenced the Purchase of your Motorcycle?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2018.
  1. Magazine Advertisement

0.7%
  2. Television Commercial

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Internet Advertisement

0.7%
  4. Personal Choice, no outside influence

69.3%
  5. Friends Pressure; It is what everyone I know rides

1.3%
  6. Comparison of Technical Specifications

25.3%
  7. Top MotoGP or other Racing Brand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I liked the way it looked

20.0%
  9. Cost, Price, Money

22.0%
  10. Brand Name Allegiance

10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sky44

sky44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i basically blame the guys in old's cool. airhead GS!
  2. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    I checked personal choice even though there are almost always some outside influences.

Have also bought bikes because of budget concerns, but I still use personal preference when picking from the ones that fall within the budget at the time.

Bought my first ever Harley in Sept of '13 because the dealer was open on Sunday. :lol3

Marketing, brand names, what other folks ride, or technical specs rarely influence my purchases.

TheProphet and Night_Wolf like this.
  3. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    I selected personal choice, because that was really the biggest part, and friend pressure, because my old riding instructor really leaned on me to get a bike with ABS. He was right and so as I. I still have that bike. I still love it.
    TheProphet likes this.
  4. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    I got my current 07 BMW R1200RT as a cosmetic crash bike when it came into the BMW shop I worked at part time. It was fully rideable even with a broken off left footpeg, had a clean title, upper half of the fairing was damaged/gone, but also had lots of goodies and only 6,000 miles. Got it for $3500, and had it fixed up and looking good by the time I had $4300 in it. It is a great ride, inspires me to take on the road. I recently added a 03 Vulcan VN1600 to my herd that I got cheap for $1200. It too has a LOT of goodies on it and it'll make a nice two up bike when I am done updating it for longer rides bike for me and my gal.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  5. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why isn't "test ride" a choice?

I really don't know how "no outside influence" is winning.... so you don't care how it looks or rides or anything or reputation for reliability? No influence from the bike or brand itself at all?
  6. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    You can pick multiple (more than one) reasons. (See the note at the bottom of the bar graph). I didn't add "Test Ride", as I thought that was a given. Sorry, but do people actually purchase motorcycles for multi-thousands of dollars without test riding them? I guess I thought that was step one.

Appearance is on there, as is reliability.

Let me see if I can add it on.

Edit: Sorry, can't add it on. As folks can check as many boxes as they want, the "Personal Choice" seemed to come up the most, so is therefore the biggest influence.
  7. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riding my wife's 01 Bonny after doing the PDI and a road DSCN0401.JPG test to get the 1st 50 miles on it for the oil change I decided I needed one!! Took till Sept 03, sold my Buell M2 and bought home my new black Bonny as a present to me from me for my 50th birthday!! Almost 15 yrs. later still love it and was, is my last new bike purchase.
    TheProphet likes this.
  8. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    I have a similar backstory on my 2007 Bonneville. I was on a business trip, and happened to drive by a Triumph Dealership out in the farm country near Janesville, Wisconsin. I had some time, so I pulled a U-ey, went back and visited the dealership.

Best dealership in the world, I took a test ride, and immediately bought the Bonnie. Still have it, and still love the hell out of it.
  9. lilbcollins

lilbcollins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I knew I wanted a torquey Japanese I4. Started looking at bigger sport tourers and ultimately decided most of them were just too damn big physically. The Bandit 1250 ran across my plate, which let me to Holeshot Performance. I then found a local one on Craigslist with most of the mods I wanted to do.
  10. hugemoth

hugemoth Big Brother is watching you!

Oddometer:
    In 2007 my little Trail 90 sustained major engine damage so I needed a cheap replacement. Me and 4 friends ordered Lifan 200 dualsport bikes figuring they might give a couple years of service before falling apart. Cost was $1375 each delivered in the factory crate. Now 11 years and 60,000 miles later I'm still riding that little bike. Never thought it would be rock solid reliable.
  11. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Link to model & how difficult to find parts for service?
  12. hugemoth

hugemoth Big Brother is watching you!

Oddometer:
    Lifan 200 GY5, no longer imported but parts are easy to get and ridiculously cheap. Equivalent bike now would be the CSC TT250 made by Zongshen. Same basic bike but updated. Has the same fantastic Honda CG clone engine.
    shoeb and Night_Wolf like this.
  13. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, lots.

I have taken one extended test ride on the actual motorcycle I was going to buy: Triumph Tiger 800XC (new)
    One short test ride to make sure the gears and shit worked: Used KTM 450EXC, but had never actually ridden that model before deciding I wanted it
    Never had ridden that motorcycle or anything similar: YZ125, KTM 200XC, XR600R, KLR 650 (should have, those things suck), Beta trials 250
    Had ridden something similar but not the one I bought, or even the same model: KTM 250XC, 300XCW, 500EXC (mentioned earlier in this thread, the 450 was the previous version and good)

Might buy a TW200 in the next couple of months. Never ridden one.
  14. CDRW

CDRW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dealers will often not allow test rides on the new sport bikes because of all the overconfident noobs they attract and the resulting liability and insurance issues.
  15. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Many dealers in Canada (Harley may be different) only allow demo rides when the factory "fleet" arrives, so I would imagine most bikes are in fact purchased without a test ride
  16. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been riding airheads for nearly three decades. For me, it is the perfect motorcycle.
  17. gonefirefighting

gonefirefighting Surrounded by Police

Oddometer:
    There isnt a test ride option.
  18. BywayMan

BywayMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I test rode a Honda CB500F, which was too small. Didn't notice that sitting on the bike on the dealer floor. Test rode my V-strom 650 and got lost. Dealer said they'd come get me if I hadn't returned in 5 minutes, meaning the bike had a tracking device (maybe still does). Visiting LA, I tossed financial sense to buy a craigslist Ninja 650, ride it, ship it home and sell it. The two Ninjas I test rode under $3500, in LA - needless to say - needed work (and the reg./title paperwork, a $$ pain). Also visited the LA dude who rebuilds totaled street bikes near the train tracks, but by then the plan jumped the shark, partially due to the homeless campsite there. ha. Ended up renting a top-heavy Triumph XC-800 from the Harley on S. LaCienega, and promptly got lost in Inglewood ...:2guns Also rented from Racy Rentals there but he has no place to park cage and rents out of a storage container with no bathroom. And this is just in the past 5 years.
    Billy52 likes this.
  19. flybynite

flybynite So far so good

Oddometer:
    I have bought and sold several bikes in my years and each purchase was motivated by different factors.
    Some bikes you just want because you want them, damn the torpedoes.
    Others you mull over, test ride, compare, get pricing, read reviews etc etc.

My last big purchase was in 2004. I was looking at the soon to be released HD FXDXI.

The sales cycle at the local dealership was a text book example of how to treat a customer from beginning to end.
    I had never felt so welcome and un-pressured into buying. I mulled over the bike for a few months, going into the store a few times to discuss my intended purchase. The salesman made a point of gettting my name and using it when I visited.

On my third visit I was given a Low Rider to test for the day. That sealed the deal.

I ordered the new bike and have been a happy camper since.

Say what you want about Harley, they have the marketing and sales skills finely tuned, at least in my neck of the woods.

Their after sales service and spares department has also been excellent. They make the Japanese dealers in my country look stupid.

YMMV

PS My last bike, a new 2016 GROM I bought on the spot without even thinking. Total impulse buy ....
    TheProphet and Night_Wolf like this.
  20. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    I bought a klr for cheap, reliable, versatile fun, but picked my 06 because I loved the color.
    I bought my gs because it looks cool, and I had the illusion that they must be dependable because you see a lot over 100k miles.
    I bought my dr350 because it kept up with my klr for 1200 miles( PO is my best buddy), and works way better off road than the klr, and seems to be more powerful with half the weight.