What Influenced the purchase of your Motorcycle?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by TheProphet, Aug 16, 2018.

?

What Influenced the Purchase of your Motorcycle?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2018.
  1. Magazine Advertisement

0.7%
  2. Television Commercial

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Internet Advertisement

0.7%
  4. Personal Choice, no outside influence

69.3%
  5. Friends Pressure; It is what everyone I know rides

1.3%
  6. Comparison of Technical Specifications

25.3%
  7. Top MotoGP or other Racing Brand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I liked the way it looked

20.0%
  9. Cost, Price, Money

22.0%
  10. Brand Name Allegiance

10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    I saw a R1200R on a showroom floor (and I had zero interest in BMW at the time) and thought it did a great job of looking like a quintessential motorcycle for the time (~2010). For those that weren't paying attention then, there wasn't much that wasn't a cruiser, a sport bike, or an adventure bike. (Or used and with a variety of quirks - not the thing for a new rider). Now we have scads of naked standards at all points on the price spectrum, and it is lovely. But not then.

It was a few years before I could make one happen, but I did. It isn't always perfect, and I think about replacing it from time to time (why does a modern FI bike bitch and moan in cold weather worse than the carbed EX500 I used to have?), but I haven't yet found an obviously superior replacement (because when that happens, I'll buy it).
  2. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    That sounds like what I was going through in 1997, except that there weren't any adventure bikes back then, just sport bikes and cruisers. The Ducati Monster and Triumph Speed Triple were the only standards back then, plus sort of the Suzuki Bandit. There have been a bunch since then, and there were certainly a lot of choices in 2010 by then.
  3. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    I did like the way the street triple looked then with the round headlights, but no ABS and too much power for me at the time. I was also pretty excited about removable hard luggage that didn't make the bike look like crap when it was off, but now even Kawasaki can give you that (though not, unfortunately, on the Z900rs - some square cases on that bike would be killer).
  4. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    For decades (it felt like) I would look at the R****GS bikes and just lust after them. Didn't care about sport bikes or cruisers, and figured dirt riding was kinda 'out' given my age.

When I got back into Motorcycling my first ride was a G650GS, figuring it would make a good 'starter bike'. That lasted less than 200 miles. As a tall, 'big buy' I felt there was just not enough bike under me. Soon I was on my current GS.

Picked up an R1200R for one of my sons to ride with me. Put some lower pegs on, and I have to say it's just stupid fun to ride. I get it in AZ for the winter, and son gets it in WA for the summer. I get to ride it back and forth (and pay the insurance of course!) and that's just a great ride anyway. Got the bike because I liked the look, the boxer motor, the integrated brakes, etc.
  5. MirthfulThylacinator

MirthfulThylacinator Tinker

Oddometer:
    I started out on the old Honda CX500 Silverwing tourer, had a few go's at some screamers. But after a long break between riding (trifecta of family, moving, jobs) once it was time to saddle up again - BMW Southbank in Melbourne were the ONLY ones who virtually bent over backwards to let me know they appreciated AND wanted my business (whereas other bike dealers merely wanted to rob me blind without delivering the goods). After watching 'The Long Way Round', I though BMWs might be worth considering. Said & done, my first Beemer was the glorious F650 GSPD. Nice. Stepped up to Boxers next. Nicer! I reckon if I gotta fix / repair / wrench equipment for a living, I really don't want to NEED to be doing it at home too. That excludes a number of brands for me then. Want to ride? Simply press the starter button and off into the sunrise we ride .... no adjusting of chains? Love it!! Great stuff!
    Now I'd say Boxers spoil you for the rest!
  6. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting that the poll says no one takes notice of racing results KTM wasted all that money winning the Dakar so many times for nought
  7. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like reviewing specifications for most moto purchases, a big spreadsheet with columns of attributes and comparing what matters to me: acquisition cost, fuel mileage, range, chain vs shaft, aux tank options, tubeless, cruise control, ergonomic fit, etc.

Sometimes the critical purchase decision relies on "future reliability" and "self maintainability". It doesnt always matter depending on the purchase. For these decisions, forum discussions play a big role. For my latest purchase, reliability and lack of resources (time/$) required for maintenance was a top requirement. Reading folks experience with Super Teneres, their "issues" in the forums vs other top contenders, all weaved a story for what I thought would be my future with the bike and helped solidify the decision. I wanted a later model GSA, the resource for maintenance was low (easy to work on, IMO) but the risk of not getting the final drive right really took that out of consideration. I read the RR of the couple from overseas (Europe?) that bought a 07-09ish GSA to tour USA and had a FD failure, paid $ for a BMW dealer to fix it and then it failed a second time within a few hundred miles. That story really spoke to me. I ride cross county once or twice a year and time is key, its the few times I can spend on my hobby and justify being away from family as its a "work trip". I need the bike to make it to work and back without an issue. One failure and I'm at serious risk of either my employer or my family calling me out on the cross country ride shenanigans. As long as I make it there and back without much delay or $ issues, they are happy/ignore the weird "not flying" part of my work trip.

The "how does the bike make you feel" is a big one for many moto purchases. As most bikes you cant test ride, this is where a lot of buy and then sell very quickly regrets come in to play. Kudos for BMW and others (?) that generally allow test rides. I have to imagine that feeling or go with my feeling without riding it...
  8. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    I review the specs, but Cost, Price, Money and opportunity need to meet up!
  9. boomhwr

boomhwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2013 Tiger XT. It felt more nimble that the Tenere on the streets. Tenere scared the crap of me when I jumped on to get on the freeway and it wheelied through 2nd and 3rd. Salesman following pulled up beside and said, “ Little different than your KLR!” Figured the Tiger wouldn’t kill me as fast.
  10. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Didnt see riding position in the poll. That was my reason.
    Motorius likes this.
  11. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    My decisions are usually some struggle with myself for different things I want in a bike. For the Triumph I started looking at older UJM bikes because they were familiar and then elevated my sights, to a bike that was basically the classic archetype model for those bikes. That purchase I consider a home run.

For the V-Strom 1000 it started out as a search for a touring bike, and then thinking I couldn't give up performance. And I wanted a bike with hard luggage. Rented a BMW 1200RT for 3 days to see if I liked it. I loved it and had mixed feelings about it. Rented an Electra Glide for 3 days and that wan't good for us. So, all of this culminated in the DL1000 which I appreciate but also with mixed feelings...in retrospect an old Goldwing would probably have been more comfy for the wife and a DRZ400 would have been an actual off road bike and much as I hate to admit it, the V-Strom is neither.
  12. Malamute

Malamute Low speed adventurer

Oddometer:
    Partly personal experience, partly personal preference for certain style, history and look. I realize im way out of the average demographic for advrider, but the way I rode in the past was more in line with what many here do, so feel at least as comfortable here as on an h-d oriented forum.

I got my first h-d when I was 17 I believe, before I had a drivers license, but with about 4 or 5 years street riding in on smaller bikes. I absolutely LOVED the 76 Super Glide. I changed it to 5 gal dual tanks, footboards, and a few other small things. A riding buddy had a radically chopped 47 knuckle. The motor got tired, he couldnt afford to rebuild it. The wheels were turning....I borrowed money to buy it, sold the Super Glide, and built a road bike from the knuckle with a panhead swingarm frame (and part time in a stock knuckle hardtail frame). I rode ot pretty much everywhere. Cross country from the midwest to az many times, all over AZ and nearby areas, scads of Forest Service two track dirt roads, camped off it literally for months at a time.

Life stuff changes, I got out riding in the late 80s. Dog, Northern Rockies, living in a log cabin....

Recently became interested again after seeing a sleeked down 49 h-d. It was out of my budget, but got the spark started. realizing I couldnt afford the cool old stuff like knuckles or pans, I settled on an 84 low rider a friend had. I needed electric start with the health problems, check, swingarm frame, check, ability to drag a sidecar around, check. The 80 inch shovel motor seems to have enough power. Old enough to be somewhat interesting, check. Last year of the shovel motor. I know how to work on them, from complete motor and trans rebuilds, electrical, whatever.

I see many bikes that are new to my eye, having paid little to no attention to bikes for many years. Covered in plastic doesnt appeal to me. The full dresser/big fat tires/fenders etc dont appeal to me. No interest. Glad others like them, just hold no appeal at all to me. A sleeked down version, YES! Now we're talking! I see a full dress harley, even older ones, and am just meh.... if I take a second look, its to see what general vintage. If back into shovel vintage or earlier, the next thought is "What could i DO with that to make it look good and handle better?" Stripping off the big clunky fenders, fat front tire the bags, crash guards, blah blah, and it becomes interesting. Give it a couple-4 inches more fork length to increase ground clearance and cornering,..yes. So, thats where im stuck. If it can do 3.2 second 1/4 miles, or go 327 mph, I really dont care. If its fast enough to pass safely on tight mountain or canyon roads and be fun for me, good enough. I love the classic styles and types of big twin h-ds. Most of the newer ones hold little or no interest to me. My little corner of the world, so Im going to pursue what i like. Its a big world with lots of different people and opinions. Im happy to talk riding or bikes, but my real interest is the older stuff and semi-custom cleaned up sleeked down versions.

So, Im back in the riding game. Theres endless miles of interesting country in Az and other places I go, including dirt roads. Cant wait to get the sidecar finished and start taking the dog riding. To many the bike is all wrong for what I like to do. I dont care, it gets around, just not as fast perhaps off pavement, but they can generally get most place i want to go on dirt.