What is a good, obtainable daily mileage goal for a trip of a week +

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by crowtalks, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Bagooba

Bagooba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ahhh ... I'm glad that you mentioned that your wife doesn't like riding. I am in the same boat, (or on the same bike!?) my wife doesn't ride either and would rather fly to destination. Do you travel separately and meet up at the destination? Or do you take some bike trips and then do some travelling with your wife? I am just getting back into biking after a 25 yr hiatus after 1st child was born. I'm looking at retiring in 5 yrs or so and am looking forward to doing CDT and/or the TAT after I retire. Right now I just take some day trips with a buddy or my cousin or travel the back roads/gravel roads by myself. But I know I want to do more extended riding, just not sure how to juggle trips with wife and myself.
    crowtalks likes this.
  2. crowtalks

crowtalks escaping life, one ride at a time Supporter

Oddometer:
    Until I retired in March, my job responsibilities for the last several years precluded any extended travel (except something that was planned well in advance), as I was on call 24/7 for EMS and 911 communication systems in the area. Until then, my wife and I would do destination vacations, and then I would bum around on camping trips where ever the wind would blow me without her. It will continue in that same vein, except we don't really have to plan around anything now to travel except our budget...
    Bagooba likes this.
  3. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    If you haven't, click the link in my post for the Mobius trip ride report.

Another thread that might break it down quicker a la Reader's Digest version is here .
    crowtalks likes this.
  4. crowtalks

Oddometer:
    Ahh...I know a guy in my CMA chapter that does this, I just didn't know what it was called...thanks!
  5. Bagooba

Bagooba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We do the destination vacations or something typically within a days drive, anything longer and her back starts bothering her. And camping is not as entertaining for her as it used to be, I still enjoy camping, so I'll start investing in the "packable" camping equipment and plan some short trips for myself. Thanks for the input, enjoy your retirement and the travelling!!
  6. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    Someone outside of my motorcycle circle compared it to 'section hiking'. Not a familiar term to me but it might help others get a better idea of the concept.
    crowtalks likes this.
  7. crowtalks

Oddometer:
    I am familiar with section hiking, as that is how most folks hike the Appalachian Trail...one section at a time...

When folks do the mobius travel, what is the best sort of storage facility to look for storing the bike, thousands of miles from home?
  8. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    Something close to the airport and a door my bike fits through.
    crowtalks likes this.
  9. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    How many miles in a given day has to do with the trip itself. What is the goal of the trip? Is it the destination or is it the travel to see the sights while headed to your destination? Many of my trips are a combination of the two. For example headed to the start of the CDR from home to Antelope Wells NM, it is about 750 miles. So I just put my head down and blasted on the interstate for two 6 hour days. After joining the CDR route I then settled into a 150 to 200 mile days. After reaching Banff a somewhat leisure trip back home avoiding interstates was done for the approximately 3,300 miles home. Some days were 150 miles and some were 300 miles,just depending on where I was and what was of interest along the way. My setup allowed for camping for 4 days and then spend a night in town for laundry shower and re-supply. On the return trip from Banff I was hitting motels every couple of nights, saving camping for the more enjoyable camping areas. At that point daily mileage had to do with choices of quality of motels and camp spots more than getting home in a hurry.

Oh I do take SWMBO along in our sidecar, she had the GPS in front of her, keeping her as an partner in the trip, especially following the route on the forest service roads. She does enjoy camping.

Sidecar Echo Camp.jpg

One of the things about doing trips like the CDR or the Heart of the West with the sidecar is that my pace rarely matches exactly what a solo bike can do, especially when off road. Some days I can match a solo bike pace pretty close and others it can take twice as long, so I rarely get hung up on daily distance. The only time I get concerned with daily distance is if there has been some sort of schedule set to be at a particular spot on a particular day. I learned early in my retirement to if at all possible not let that happen!

Enjoy your ride!
    EvilClown and crowtalks like this.
  10. crowtalks

Oddometer:
    thanks for the great info!

"Oh I do take SWMBO along in our sidecar, she had the GPS in front of her, keeping her as an partner in the trip, especially following the route on the forest service roads. She does enjoy camping." LOL, the 1st time I heard that term was the show "Rumpole of the Bailey"
    Strong Bad likes this.