1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a high mileage scooter?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by JerseyBiker, Mar 18, 2011.

1. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Generally water cooled motors will go way longer than air cooled. Now ALWAYS though. I swear the best motor in the world is them Honda horizontal 50 cc engines! They's air cooled, but last longer than you want them too!

Or Goldwing engines! Those things go for ever and ever! I's read about them with some over 500,000 miles, no trouble, just routine maintainence, still running strong! Most of those have transmissions or other things go before the motors.

I believe Elite 150 cc scootes have no trouble going 100K before a rebuild, probably more if you take good care of them. Helix and Elite 250 as well.

Water coolers generally last longer, because heat isn't an issue most of the time. H-Ds will only last about 100K miles before they need a top end rebuild. Not that good compared to a Water Cooled Honda Shadow, those will easily exceed 300K.

Again this is all with proper maintainence. Although I've herd Yamaha Roadstars [also air cooled] doing 260K+ without any work other than oil and regular maintainence. H-Ds probably can last longer, if you don't ride hard don't know.

Just generally not always, a water cooled engine, kept stock [no more than maybe pipes, NOT straight pipes though], that doesn't run tooo high of RPMs/WFO all the time, with good maintainence and oil changes with quality synthetic oil, will last a long time.
  2. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lot's of Honda experts here like you and btcn above, and all you guys. So, I guess a used Helix is a pretty good thing to own for around town use and otherwise. I can't quite get past it's looks, but could probably learn to love it if they are as good as most say, and can get parts and repair. So, things like this for around $2,000 give or take would be good buys, right? These are local to me and deals like this seem to be about fairly regularly.

[​IMG]

ad

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/2972666685.html

[​IMG]

ad

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/2990743449.html

$1400OBO!

[​IMG]

ad

http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/3014957489.html
  3. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i dont know why youd buy a bike that youd have to learn to love, imo you wont enjoy it as much or look after it as well as if it was a model you really wanted?

on the high mileage thing, depends on where you are i guess.

here in ireland people generally have bikes for toys and only ride them the occasional sunday so like 30k would be considered really high on any motorcycle, even a 10 year old large cc bike. however there are plenty of bikes of all shapes and sizes that people have as hacks/daily runners and plenty that i see on forums with well over 100k on them.

if i had a cbr600 with 30k on it it would be unsellable here. but there was one on a forum i was on with 127k on it with routine maintenance and the guy only stopped riding it cos he crashed it and is now rebuilding it.

on my own bike, a XT660X, 20k+ would be considered high... but there are loads with 80k+ on the xt660 forum.

rarely you see a scooter with over 10k on it here. but there are plenty of high milers on forums that i frequent. i never worry about bikes mileage when buying, more condition and maintenance history.. for that reason i have got great bikes at bargain prices that others passed on just cos of the number on the speedo. like a 5 year old tricked out Z1000 with 25k on it for 2500. a bike could have 50,000 well maintained, carefully ridden miles or 10,000 miles of maintenance free abuse. i know what id rather have.

on a four stroke scooter i wouldnt worry really. theyre not under a lot of stress, those engines. a 2 stroke may need rebuilt after a certain mileage but that is routine maintenance on a 2t and is cheap and easy. recently saw an aprilia rally 50cc 2 stroke with 50k on it.
  4. S/W

S/W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes , there are enough low milage bikes and scooters around so you don't need to buy something with a lot of miles. With that said, I have 63k on my Silverwing with only regular maintenance and one oil leak fixed.
    When I started out as an auto mechanic in the middle sixties, 100k was a high milage car. Now if you don't think a car will make 200k you won't buy it. Quality has increased over the years and that includes bikes. I am not an expert on used bike prices,it seems though, that prices are starting to climb , maybe due to the economy and the high cost of new bikes.
  5. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well kind of like a woman...looks are ok but might be great in the sack. So the Helix while being an eye sore to even some owners, well, they seem to be GOOD practical scooters so they love 'em just the same

I have two other scooters but want a 250 or something like it to handle hills and what not. faster roads. so if it means a good deal on an ugly duckling i can ride and get to know and love....a Helix might be it :)
  6. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nearly all brand name scooters are good and practical tbh you should definitely consider a few more options