What is a reasonable price for a tire change?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by franki, Sep 11, 2018.

1. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

I am a biker from Hong Kong. I had a set of tire change and balance for a 2005 KTM 950 Adventure in Vancouver this early July. I provided both the new tires and inner tubes and thinking I only need to pay for the labor charge. I made a mistake by not asking for the quote first. In the end I paid Canadian Dollar 278.80 total. I am not sure if this is the normal labor cost at that time but I thought later that may be a bit on the high side. Am I being fairly charged? Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Franki
  2. MChappy

MChappy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know what the currency exchange rate is to US dollars is but it does sound high to me.
  3. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    I usually pay $40 labour for 2 if I don’t do them myself.

The owner of the shop where I go usually says “There’s the machines, you know how to use them!” And then I have to force him to take money for the use of the equipment.
    filterx likes this.
  4. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wheels off of bike:

1] Bought tires/tubes off of shop you are getting to install tires/tubes, $0.00 - case of beer.
    2] Getting a shop to spoon on your tires/tubes, $35-70 each rim.

Wheels on bike:

1] Bought tires/tubes off of shop you are getting to install tires/tubes, 25% off book time to take wheels off/on bike, + $0.00 to spoon tires on.
    2] Supplying tires/tubes from different source than shop you are getting to install tires/tubes, full list labour rate on all labour.

You were fairly charged IMO. It's false economy to think that a shop will give you "a break" on a job where you've sourced tires elsewhere. BTW, $35 of that $278 was tax, and 'environmental' fees.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  5. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Did you roll up on the bike and hand him the keys? Putting it up on the ramp and removing/installing the wheels adds time to the job.
    If you handed him the wheels and all he had to do was put them on he should charge you for the applicable labour rate of his shop which is normally posted at the service desk.
  6. max384

max384 Bandaided Supporter

Oddometer:
    The high prices charged for motorcycle tire changes never cease to amaze me. Every time I see someone post the high prices, my gut reaction is that they're being overcharged... But time and time again people post higher prices that they consider fair. All I know is that I change my own tires and order the tires online.

This being said, I won't say whether the quoted price was high or not, but I couldn't stomach paying that much to have someone spoon tires on for me. That's over $100 USD per tire! At home using nothing more than tire spoons and hand tools for dismounting/mounting, that's an hour's job. With a fully equipped garage and tire machine, they certainly must be able to do it in much less time.
  7. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I'd like to see the receipt. I think you're probably right for the numbers, but I still think he got ripped off.

If he brings all the gear, then it should only be labour. But I suppose that labour charge could be 90-100 bucks an hr, add in some shop misc fees, for another 20-30 bucks, add taxes and boom.

Likely on took a 1/2 hr.

8. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    1/2 an hour, to pull and re-install both wheels, and remove/mount and balance both tires?? I’m in disagreement with you.
  9. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    CAD 278.80 = USD 207.39 cash exchange rate at this time of post.
    Here is the exchange rate calculator link if you need to use in the future: https://tool.td.com/fxcal/#/fxcalculator
  10. max384

max384 Bandaided Supporter

Oddometer:
    I doubt it was much longer than that. A fully equipped shop using machines for mounting/dismounting and balancing, by guys who do this all day. I can do it in an hour with hand tools, and I do it once every couple of months.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  11. Allrpm

Allrpm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was running out of time one day a while back and didn't have my levers so I went to my local shop and dropped off the wheel with the New tire that I supplied and $35. Deal? Well when it's a rush and the kids got to go from school to gymnastics etc. tire swapped and balanced sure I didn't mind. Some people do not want to change their own tires. I never did until I got an adventure bike, my Ducati rims were pricey!

RPM
  12. franki

franki NB Rider

Oddometer:
    I had fond memories when I visited US back in 1991 and when to a shop to have my tires and brake pads changed on a Yamaha Venture Royale (Goldwing like tourer). The mechanic allowed me to watch him work. He removed, installed and balanced the tires and installed the brake pads in 45 mins. And I was charged for 45 mins labor. What a master! :clap
    cyclopathic likes this.
  13. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Expensive lesson. Sorry for you. There is a reason that many shops have a bad rep. Need to ask for a quote. But when they have your vehicle the quote can become less than useless. on the positive note crooks don't stay in business long.

Wouldn't hurt to name the business. Help others avoid a shyster!

I don't think there is anything difficult about that bike needing special prices. Maybe a dressed Goldwing or Harley not that bike.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  14. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Let us know the dealer as Jimmie said. Some may think it's fair, but no, no its not.

300 bucks to change 2 tires and you provided the tires...let's think about that for a moment.
  15. Roux-80

Roux-80 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In 2013, I was in Cranbrook, BC, on my way back home and I stopped by the local yamaha dealer to have my tires swamp on my S10, I handed the key and they did all the job for.. 135$.....

So...278$ ????? thats just crazy.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  16. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    Probably a surcharge for bringing in tires purchased elsewhere, also.
  17. BritGuy

BritGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems expensive, paid C$117 in labour to have both tires replaced 2 weeks ago at the KTM dealer in West Kelowna. Wheels on the bike when I handed it over and when I got it back.They supplied both tires, same price (there or thereabouts) as FortNine. It was in for a 15,000km service, but the labour for tire instal was itemized separately on the invoice.
  18. emidyl

emidyl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pd last Friday, $150 plus HST. I'm not inclined to do so myself, but I do most of my other maintenance work.
  19. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

$150, wheels on bike??
  20. emidyl

emidyl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes