1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a year's riding worth to you?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CanadianX, Aug 28, 2020.

1. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    With my bike half a world away I've been without bike for a few months and will continue to be without a bike for many more months. It blows.

So I decided to buy a slightly used dirt bike, if I can make it happen. I started doing my research looking for a bike, have made some assumptions based on my perception of the market and given consideration to insurance, license and storage costs. While I'll recover some of the purchase price of the bike when I sell it in a year I will still be out of pocket thousands of dollars due to depreciation and sunk costs like insurance, license, storage and maintenance. This will be the cost to having the bike and opportunity to ride.

Like any good and true inmate on the hunt for yet another bike I've rationalised the purchase. Which is to say I've made it sound completely reasonable and rational to throw money in the form or fuel into the ringing piston of a dirt bike and dance around in hedonistic joy for the opportunity of watching that money go up in smoke. :lol3 Sometimes its hard to put a price on an experience and being able to do the things you enjoy but I've at least covered what I think the dollar amount will be.

What would the experience be worth to you? What would having a bike to use on your weekends and for a some four day in country vacations be worth? Also keep in mind that the enduro riding opportunity here is pretty epic.

PS I think this might become a RR thread to chronicle my rides here in Israel.
    I'll start with the one ride I've had thanks to some friends of friends.
  2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    There are good enough deals out there that the bike purchase and sale should cover itself.
    Insurance and maintenance, you'd have that cost anyway.

Plus, it's hard to put a price on the fun and therapy of motorcycle riding.

This is my 1st yr since 2000 that I haven't owned a bike, nor camped from a bike.

It won't happen next yr.
  3. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a wise friend once cracked: "I spend 10K a year on my airplane but if I didn't do that I'd be spending at least 10K on Psychiatrists and Counseling..............and I sure like my airplane"
    As for myself, I have never considered motorcycling terribly expensive. The only cost I truly dislike and resent is the cost of insurance in BC.
  4. Trickle007

Trickle007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "What is a year's riding worth to you?"

My sanity!
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  5. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The older you get the more you value that time . At over 60 :hmmmmm, About 50 cents / km .
    Cal likes this.
  6. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m at the stage where I think it is becoming less important to me . Got my first bike at 17 or 18 ,I’m almost 54 . Since my first bike I don’t think I have ever gone more than a month without a bike in the garage ( had 8 at one time ) . I find it I ride less and less each year . Don’t care about the cost of it just not into it . I loved week long trips or longer but as I get older I get lazier and do less and less . Have 2 bikes right now and I would sell them both. Maybe it was this year and the lack of freedom to tour , Hope next year is better for travelling .
    NorthRider
    Maggot12 likes this.
  7. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I sold a Strom last fall (sold for more then I paid) with the intention to go to Qc this past spring to pick up a good deal.
    Obviously that didn't pan out so I kinda just wrote this year off. Never felt like traveling, bike or not.

I like weekend motorcycle camping trips and have a translab trip on a bucket list.

Hopefully in 2021.

Night_Wolf likes this.
  8. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    I have ridden less this year than the past 20+ due to health issues/covid restrictions. I thought it would be worse than it has been because riding has been so much of my life (bike only for this time). I have not lost my marbles but I am looking forward to the days of unimpeded travel again.
    I still use my Big Ruckus as day to day transportation and the 955 Tiger has done a few day rides but the GSA for touring has not moved this year.
    Monetarily it costs very little to ride for me as I own older (paid for) machinery that I maintain myself and have extremely low insurance costs.
    'Bob' likes this.
  9. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    I think the herd will get thinned out when I get home and the 500exc will be sold. I've mentioned selling the GSA but wifey says no. Most of my riding in recent times has been hare scramble and enduro type riding.

I'm away from home for a year and as I said, want to buy a bike here. Bikes are 2x the price here (not kidding a 10k bike at home is a $20k bike here). I'm trying to get a handle on the haggling and what the true price is for a bike and also a sense of the market. Right now it seems the dealers are flush with used bikes. I'm looking at 17-19 KTM or Husky 250 tpi bikes but they ain't cheap. I was kind of looking at 300s but insurance jumps a bit after the 250 and that is money I won't recover. Also the dealer has at lest 20 used ones. Its a bit crazy. Given new 250-300 tpi bikes are over $20k they aren't selling to the average Joe. The buyers of these bikes seem to be of two groups. Group one: Ride it, trade it. Maintenance is minimal and with the 1yr warranty (by law) its better to trade in their eyes. These are well used bikes and can be roughed up with rock rash and tough trail love. The other group seems to be the buy it puttery around and then realise enduro bikes are not for them and they sell them. The price for a cream puff lightly used bike is usually listed pretty high but the hours are low and the appearance overall is clean. There is a fascination with engine hours here and if a bike has 80+hours it better have a new piston in it. Anything over 200 hours and the price drops fairly significantly it seems.

I mentioned negotiation and I think its hard core negotiation to get to a reasonable price with the asking price on used bike being much higher than what they would take for it. Thankfully I have some friends to help navigate the waters a bit.

BTW, can you jam a dirt bike into a mini van, like a dodge caravan kind of van? I think the front wheel would have to come off.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  10. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Welllll, about that. There are some deals but bikes are 2x the price as those at home. Its a bit of a financial commitment with the associated risks as I need to sell the bike in a year and recover some of my $. Lightly used KTM or Husky 250/300 is $15-18,000 Canadian.:eek7
  11. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    The key would be to know your market and what bike would sell well in it. May not be the exact bike you want, but gets you riding.

For example, I've owned 4, 650 Stroms. Getting good deals away from home, using for a yr or so and sell locally as I know I could easily move them without financial loss. So free use of a motorcycle for a couple seasons.

12. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    My '09 KLX250 "followed" me home from the faraway dealer in my Plymouth Voyager. The front wheel had to be off the bike. The rear seats were removed from the minivan (pre Stow 'n Go, or whatever they call the seats that disappear under the floor) and left at home before the "just going for a look" trip.
    Adanac rider and CanadianX like this.
  13. SSBB

SSBB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any chance you could hop over the boarder and get one cheaper?
    What is it worth to me? Tough question, I think it would depend on if I was physically able to ride. If I could rent one and have that satisfy my need I would be ok with that. One year is no big deal as there are other things I could do however if I could pick up something cheap just to have whenever I wanted to use it I would be all over that in a heartbeat.
  14. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Nope. Even without CV19 restrictions moving between borders here is...umm challenging, yeah lets go with that. I'm looking at the costs and trying to make an informed assumption about how easy and at what price I could sell it for but the current reality is that there is a lot of uncertainty. Dealers are selling some new bikes to those with $$$ and they are holding on to a significant stock of used bikes (aka my future competition). Private sales are a bit better on price but its unclear what you are getting. Because people are so sensitive to the hours on a bike anything approaching 200 hours regardless of condition is harder to sell. So I've looked at some higher hour bikes and thought after 10 months I could easily blow past 200 hours and given circumstances I'd have to take a bigger loss. Spending more upfront to have a lower hour bike might mean I can sell it easier and without as much depreciation. The other option is a complete POS that runs and is essentially disposable but I don't have any tools or time to repair a bike endlessly.

I feel like it might fit based on an eyeball measurement. A bit of a hassle and I'd have to come up with something to slide under the forks to not destroy the interior but it seems possible. A lot cheaper than storing it ($270 CAD/mth) although the dealer storage facility is pretty top tier with your bike securely locked inside and individually chained to a rail so it can't be rolled out the door during business hours. You get almost 24/7 access, showers, lockers and washing area for the bike and the dealer is backed onto a really good riding area so you show up, gear up and ride out the back door.

Market here has its norms I think but CV19 is turning things upside down. Little chance that I could ship it back to Canada and that would be a last resort to prevent total loss. Maybe break it down and put it into my luggage :D

Ultimately this (buying a bike) may not work as I have a number in my head that I would pay to have a bike and the experience of riding here and it's tough to have confidence that I won't be in a position to have to blow past that number.
  15. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Here's four bikes. Two Husky TE250i, both 2019s and two KTMs, one is a 2018 300xc-w and the other is a 2020 250xc-w.
    The dealers have a wall of 300s that haven't sold. Insurance is higher for them by about $400/yr.

I depreciated all bike by 25%, except for the 2020 which being newer should hold value better. The red line is the loss I'd take to have a bike. A lot of $$ but if you went on a 4 day trip to another country, joined a guided dirt bike tour you'd pay that and then some. I have at least two - four day vacations and I won't be able to leave the country.

Add about $1000 CAD to replace the piston on all bikes. Whether I could recoup some of that I don't know. The "Bike Prep" line is simply some initial oils and filters stock.

[​IMG]
  16. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    So that's not what I had in mind just to get me on two wheels for the summer. I was more on the thought of just getting a 2500 buck dualsport of some sort, get your riding fix in on your vacation time, and sell it next spring for a similar price.

Spending 16-20k on a dirtbike to use for two 4 day vacations and take a 5k loss. So no, riding is not worth that to me.

Edit... a quick look on kijiji. Here's a 2013 Husa 250, original owner with 73hrs on it. 4200.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-motocross/dartmouth/2013-husaberg-fe-250/1520359939?undefined
  17. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Riding is life! Do what you gotta do! Any third world utility bike is better than not riding, you don't need a new KTM.
    Adanac rider likes this.
  18. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice understatement!
    Take up pedal biking (road or mountain)?
  19. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    It's weekends for a year and the mini-vacations. Its also the chance to ride hard enduro here. If you've ever considered taking a vacation to do a bike rental week then its on par with that. You pay a few $k to get there and back and ride a dirt bike in some place like Baja. Ultimately its $400/mth or about the cost of renting a bike for a day to go on a guided off road trip here. Shit is expensive here! I've considered not eating to offset the costs :D

No Kijiji here but there is something similar, local language barrier notwithstanding.

Definitely digging what you're laying down. It's [old bike] an option, but even older beat bike are not that cheap, but its a solid maybe and I've been looking in that direction as well. The harsh inspection rules on older vehicles ($$) does suck though. Also as I haven't any of my tools to work on a bike so I'd be paying a shop and if it quits working the loss could be total.

Being diplomatic lol. Yeah mtn bike may be where things land or just get a VR headset and run around in circles racing Jarvis :lol3
  20. B-Nads

B-Nads Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went the full summer without my bike after a small rock made a big hole in my oil pan. I was miserable. Luckily, my dealership let me trade it in while the part was still in the mail and I got back on two wheels this past Friday...now I'm happy, my wife is less tempted to have me poisoned (mildly), and the dog has stopped avoiding me. Compared to a divorce lawyer, well worth it ;-)