What is inside KTM power-pack?

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by lauris47, Aug 23, 2019.

1. lauris47

lauris47 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, I am wondering what is inside in ktm freeride electric power-pack?
    I cannot find any picture or info about it and in general I find little info about these bikes apart from official or promotional info.

I changed my KTM supermoto to e ride + my 3000 euros. I love this e bike, however battery life is crap - 30km of normal ride and it needs recharging.

I know there is new battery of the second gen model which is 3.9kwh, while my first gen bike's battery is 2.6kwh

Why I am asking is, could I make an upgrade myself, by buying batteries that are inside?

Attached Files:

2. Anders J.

Anders J. SUPERenduro

Oddometer:
    Hi Lauris!
    I have a -17 Freeride e and I have bought an extra 3,9 kwh battery pack. It´s expensive, but I think its´s worth it. I use my freeride for enduro tracks only and with two batteries you will be exhausted before the battries are! The 3,9 battery fits the older models.

/Greetings frm Sweden
  3. lauris47

lauris47 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice that the newer battery fits the old bike model. Yeah batteries for these are crazy expensive, that's why I am considering looking into alternatives.
    I am commuting and doing little bit of freeride/off-road.
  4. Anders J.

Anders J. SUPERenduro

Oddometer:
    Maybe you can buy one in Sweden? It will cost you ~ 23 000 DKK.
  5. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many connections are present on the battery where it interfaces with the bike?
  6. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's most likely to be full of 'ordinary' lithium cells connected in series and parallel, like most other lithium vehicle batteries, along with a BMS, temperature sensors and other electronics, which might also need to be upgraded if you want to put more power through them.
  7. lauris47

lauris47 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am really enjoying this bike, it opened fun side of offroad life. On 640, everything was fun but scary and dangerous and on this light and silent machine everything is fun, exciting and not so scary. I can drive up things, jump off, do little wheelies that I could not do on my previous main bike. I also started doing a lot of exploring, without a fear that someone will be annoyed and call the cops.

However, battery life is still an issue. I feel every time that I could handle a little bit more of riding that this first gen battery can do. However, now I think it would not be wise for me to try to upgrade it without having complete knowledge and risk-free plan to do so. Especially, since my battery is not old or damaged. I will keep researching about this.
    (I have read in some German forum that someone did the upgrade or was planing to do so by buying higher capacity regular cells, can't find the link now).
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  8. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are 360 cells arranged 72s5p: Samsung 2Ah

the new packs are Sony 3Ah cells
    DRjoe and lauris47 like this.