What is it? (83 XL600 oil leak)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by handirifle, Nov 10, 2008.

1. handirifle

handirifle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my 83 XL600, I discovered another oil leak. Not sure what the part is though. Sorry no pics, but will try to describe it as best I can.

On the right side of the cylinder head, towards the rear (NOT in back) there is a flat sided screw head, for lack of a better word, silver in color (stainless steel?). It's about 1" in dia, with a hole in the center, and what looks like a slot for a screwdriver, except it's about 1/2" wide.

I checked, and it's tight, but as far as I can tell, it's leaking. Any idea what it is, and how to stop the leak?
  2. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cam chain tensioner pivot. There is an O ring on it. Leaks due to old age. The slot is to turn it when you install the tensioner fixing bolt. The hole is threaded to insert a 6mm bolt to pull it out when needed. It's a PITA to do but it will leak until you replace the O ring.
  3. Seikkailu_R

Seikkailu_R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dont try tighten it.
    Its not a screw.

Cam chain tensioner shaft (part 8).
    O-ring leaking.
    Take rocker cover off, pull shaft locking pin off, remove chain tensioner, replace o-ring and put everything back.

Or just live with it until there is real reason for rocker cover removal.
    There is no oil pressure behind that o-ring.
  4. handirifle

Oddometer:
    Thanks fellas. If there's no pressure behind it, the "O" ring must be shot. I pretty sure that's where the leak is. The oil seems to migrate FORWARD from there, which is odd, considering the air pressure (from riding) would seem to make it flow backwards.

I wondered if it was coming from the rocker inspection caps, but they seem dry. I sometimes see little splatters of oil on the exhaust pipes when I stop. I guess I need to get it leaking, then get off the bike and rev it up to try and find for sure if that is the area.

I have no problem fixing it once I know for sure, but this is getting a bit worriesom.
  5. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The inspection O rings also go bad and are much easier to replace than the cam chain tensioner O ring. Change them out and see if your leak goes away.
  6. handirifle

Oddometer:
    Good idea, will do, can't hurt to spend a few dollars on those anyway. It will be one less thing to "guess" on too.