What Is The Best Procedure For Changing Coolant In Ktm 640 Adv?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DBGcooper, Oct 27, 2007.

1. DBGcooper

DBGcooper Flying Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Got a new 07 640 Adventure, and checked the coolant and found it to be good to only -10F, and it gets way colder up here. Unlike my KLR which has a drain screw at the lowest point under the water pump, I can find no such drain on this bike. I figured on pulling the lowest hose connetion on the front of the jug, but decided to throw this out in case there is a better way. Any help will be greatly appreciated. DBG
  2. Odysseus

Odysseus Stoic Philosopher

Oddometer:
    you guessed it the first time. Just remove the radiator cap and then pull the lowest coolant hose connection. The whole procedure is fairly painless. good luck!
  3. Adrian 8

Adrian 8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the 640 but my 450 KTM has a air bleed screw on the head near the sparkplug to drain the air out after you start filling it, plus there is an air bleed screw on the right radiator right up on top.
  4. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I just changed my coolant; I ended up disconnecting a bunch of hoses and found that if I tipped the bike over (as far as I could) to one side and the other more would come out. Not sure why... maybe it helps drain the entire cooling system? :dunno

When you refill it the manual says on page 36 for the 2003 model year to run the bike with the cap off for a bit to top off but you will have to check the coolant level spec (10mm above the radiator internals inside the cap) when engine is COLD. Here is a copy and paste:

5. Odysseus

Oddometer:
    Hey meat! :wave Thanks for adding your knowledge to this here thread.

Also thanks alot for pissing off gaspipe and chasing him away. :lol3

Jeez, all the LC4 gurus are dropping like flies, creeper doesn't even have one anymore, gaspipe is gone, loaded barely hangs out here anymore. Maybe when the new 690 Baja and Rally (or whatever they are going to call them) come out we'll have a big old LC4 revival. :kumbaya
  6. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Hey Ody, :wave

I pissed off gassy? :scratch What, where, when, why, how? Link?

Well, it is the end of the model line so we should have this ole'LC4 business buttoned up soon. The new ones have silly pipes; I don't know...
  7. Odysseus

Oddometer:
    I was just kidding about you being the guy who pissed him off. I thought you already knew about it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279201

As far as the new 690 hotness goes, me thinks I will hang on to the 640.

Of course if they do start selling that bike they raced in the Baja 500, I will buy one immediately. :lol3
  8. rob748

rob748 resident alien !!!!

Oddometer:
    just wait for the water pump to fail and then refill :1drink ( after fixing the pump )
  9. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Oh, I didn't know; thanks for the link. I had my chance to ride with him when I was temporarily in TN, but then he got busy and we passed like two ships in the night... no that's not it. :lol3

Ah, the Baja KTM is sexy, but it wears its upswept pipes much better than these production 690 IMhO.
  10. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Well, not all of the original "LC4 Mafiosi" have departed... we've just gotten older and slower (save Hickson and his new Sherco addiction)... :wink:
  11. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:

Mmmmmmm... Sherco. :lol3
  12. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Hey, ya ol' furt.... how's things?

Had the Sherco "across the bridge" yet? :D
  13. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Don't live in that part of Wooooshington any more... I'm further south than I was. Temps are freezing at night, so I'm sure some lucky bastard will get spit on their head going across it.

My arms are so screw'd up that I haven't ridden the Sherco much. Boo fuckin' hoo huh? :cry

I've got less than 10 hours on it... but hey, I did write a Sherco valve lash guide. :lol3

Hi ho, hi ho...
  14. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Pretty site. But I didn't see where to sign up for countless hours of bullshittin' :dunno
  15. rebelpacket

rebelpacket four-stroke earth-saw

Oddometer:
    I drained the coolant on my 625 the other day. :huh

I must say, for a company famous for making not only fantastic bikes, but well-thought-out fantastic bikes, they really screwed the pooch on this one. I made a god-awful mess all over the bike, and had to tip it at ridiculous angles to try and get it all out. Even then, I'm not sure I did.

What a crappy design. Compared to the RFS motors, its a big step backwards!
  16. fujian

fujian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Langford ( Victoria ) British Columbia, Canada
    It's a strange way to drain I agree, but It seams to work for people.