What is the deal with Colorado Resident OHV permits this year?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Lord Dogmeat, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Lord Dogmeat

Lord Dogmeat Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is going on here? I have my bike plated and the registration on it is current as of this month, but I can't buy the OHV permit (the sticker) anywhere on the Colorado Parks and Wildlife website .... and now all of a sudden there is this "Total Licensing System" thing on there I can't buy it through either?

I never did the OHV registration bit because I was told if the bike was plated I didn't need to, but I still had to purchase the OHV permit (the sticker) to ride the trails ...

APparently they've changed all this to god only knows what this year? Anyone know if I'm supposed to do the registration on it this year even if its already plated? Did they stop selling the resident OHV permits entirley? WTF?

Equiring minds want to know :)
    Dominick253 likes this.
  2. Asatrur

Asatrur KLR adv rider

Oddometer:
    According to the CPW site
    http://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pages/RegistrationsOHV.aspx

To register your OHV in your name for the first time, complete the OHV Registration Form and return it to:

Colorado Parks and Wildlife - Registration Unit
    13787 South Highway 85
    Littleton, CO 80125
    303-791-1920
    You may also register your vehicle at various OHV dealers or many Colorado Parks and Wildlife offices. View our OHV Registration Agent Locations List to find the registration location nearest you. Always call ahead to ensure services are available.
  3. modette

modette TrailTaker.com

Oddometer:
    Nothing new...

You need an OHV sticker if you plan to ride 50" or less trails as of the last few years.

First time yeah I believe you need to fill out the form. Or you could just go and buy the out of state OHV tag at the dealers for the same cost of $25.25. Some people go that route because they have many bikes and they might not know which ones they plan to ride a given year and when they do decide they just slap a stick on and all good seeing as it's the same cost anyways.

One good aspect of filling out the form is if your bike is ever stolen and it's sold and the next person tries and gets a resident sticker and fills out the form with the VIN and you had reported it stolen it could be recovered.

TIP is from the LEO USFS Rangers I talk to is that any trail including Jeep trails that are on a MVUM actually you need a OHV sticker for. Long term goal the guy I talk to is trying to implement that, although he agreed it would be next to impossible to enforce. How would Tourist in Jeep know you would need a sticker to go down FR322 to the Palmer reservoir! We will see if they ever get that far in terms of enforcement ability.

Seriously $25.25 should not break your bank. Not worth an argument over with a ranger.
  4. Lord Dogmeat

Lord Dogmeat Long timer

Oddometer:
    But that's my question, do I have to register it this year? It already has the registration due to the license plate. I was under the impression this was double-registration if I registered it as an OHV and I did not have to do this, I just needed to buy the OHV permit sticker.

Did that all change this year?
  5. Lord Dogmeat

Lord Dogmeat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have never had to fill out the form in the past to get the OHV Permit sticker (not the registration sticker), did that change this year? Because my bike is plated, all I've had to do is buy the white sticker, but this year it appears to me that has changed...?
  6. Lord Dogmeat

Lord Dogmeat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Historically, this is the OHV permit I've bought:

[​IMG]

I have never had to fill out a registration form to purchase that permit on my current bike or previous bike when I transferred the license plate from Utah.

This is the OHV registration, that also includes the permit apparently, but not the sticker. Do they then mail you the sticker if you register it, meaning they did in fact change this aspect of purchasing an OHV permit this year?

[​IMG]
  7. Hair

Hair no wants or warrants

Oddometer:
    How does a tourist know any of the laws in a state. They read and inform. Seems to me that Colorado has more publications and websites devoted to 50 in or wider trails then they do for single track. As long as we are gowning down this path I would like to see clear boundaries on when I do or don't need a sticker. In the past I've been checked on gravel roads for bike Plating. Then on other roads no worries. Some how I am suppose to recognize that a road has been improved enough that I need a street plate? Why don't they be clear about it. The sticker is needed for off hwy use period.
    They might get some push back from the guy who is using a gravel driveway. But that is not my problem.
  8. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer:
    Last year is when riding on 50" trails or less required an additional sticker beyond the license plate. Keeping the license plate just lets you operate on roads legally. The OHV tag lets you operate on 50" or narrower trails and such.

It was required before last year but they only started enforcing it last year or so that's my understanding of all this.
  9. Lord Dogmeat

Lord Dogmeat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it was legally required but they never started enforcing it until last year. This is how I found out the OHV registration sticker was not the same as the OHV permit if you have your bike plated to be street legal. The ranger @ Rampart told me that even though the bike was plated and had the OHV registration that was technically not correct. I happened to be on a borrowed bike at the time, but still, the state is not really very clear at all about this.

edit: Ok, I just called the state parks office, they said you still need the white OHV permit, they just haven't received any in to sell yet for the year. This is kind of odd, but ok I guess *shrug*
  10. modette

modette TrailTaker.com

Oddometer:
    So you always bought the out of state tag if it looked like that.
    http://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pages/RegistrationsOHV.aspx

"If you purchase your non-resident OHV permit from th​e E-Store, it will look like:" and that is your picture.

So you always bought an out of state tag. I always have bought an in state tag they look different with a unique number.

Then it says
    "If you purchase your non-resident OHV permit through the Total Licensing System, it will come with a clear sticker and will look like:" Which is also what you posted a picture of.

So nothing has changed...you just been buying out of state stickers when you should buy an in state sticker.
  11. modette

modette TrailTaker.com

Oddometer:
    Fill out the form:
    http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/BuyApply/BoatOHVSnowmobileRegistration.pdf

Mail it in the first time and next year you will get a post card and you just go back to the website and renew and pay with credit card and the sticker comes in a week or two. I already have my stickers this year (they are red). You can print a receipt for proof till you get the stickers.
  12. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

According to the folks at parks that I spoke.

" It is parks policy to enforce and ticket platted motor vechicle that are operating on any route that has a trail designation, if it has a road designation no enforcement, for platted vechicles.

Technicallly the law reads that ALL recreational motor vechicles MUST have an OHV sticker when operating on a designated OHV route.

Since the law was passed the definition of a OHV route has changed, their are now OHV routes that have paved city streets ! See Silverton

Which means the tourist passing threw silverton would need a sticker on some city streets ......uunintended consequence of expanded OHV route....,..hence the enforcement of platted vechicles policy is only on designated trails, not dirt roads.

As must trails are 50inch wide or less, that is a good generalization of when a platted vechicle needs an ohv sticker

ride on

scott
  13. modette

modette TrailTaker.com

Oddometer:
    LOL you quoted what I said and we said the same thing :lol3
  14. Lord Dogmeat

Lord Dogmeat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just don't understand why when I was on the borrowed bike that had the OHV registration sticker I got flack for it and then the state parks office has sold me OHV permit stickers (in-state, they did not say out of state to my knowledge) the next two years .....

The state really could afford to be more clear on this with its enforcement, because the rangers or the state parks department can't both be right on this, it pretty well has to be one or the other.

[​IMG]

The stickers they sold me did not say out of state on them .....:huh

The state really needs to be more clear on this.
  15. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are two flavors of in-state OHV sticker: Permit and Registration. They each cost $25.25 and are good until the next March 31st.

The permit does not require any VIN or other info - pay and it's yours, right on the spot at the point of purchase. The permit sticker is just like the one shown in a previous post.

The registration requires name, address, phone number, DOB, and VIN. You provide the info on-line or in person at the appropriate point of sale, pay, and wait for the rego to be mailed to you. You get a temporary rego in the mean time. And, you get a notice in the mail when the rego is due the next year. The registration sticker is quite a bit larger than the permit sticker, you get two of em, and they go up front on your motorcycle. Most riders put them on their fork legs, up high.

Out-of-state OHVers can buy Permits only.

:ricky
  16. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great minds think alike ? :evil
  17. modette

modette TrailTaker.com

Oddometer:
    Shows it's been the same design for a long time.
    [​IMG]
  18. modette

modette TrailTaker.com

Oddometer:
    This is what you get for 2016 (2015 was Green, 2014 was Blue):

Two Red stickers one for each fork:
    [​IMG]

You also get one card, which you sign the back of:
    [​IMG]

I must of shredded the renewal already. But it's a grey postcard like the License renewal is.
  19. _CJ

_CJ Rugged Individualist

Oddometer:
    Not entirely accurate.......

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/psicc/recreation/ohv/?recid=12403&actid=93

The amount of the fee for the license is immaterial to those who value freedom. It could be free, and still be wrong and an intrusion on our rights. The idea that a citizen needs a permission slip from the government to participate in a completely legal activity on public land is ridiculous.....imho.

:1drink
    braindead0 likes this.
  20. wzd1a

wzd1a Long timer

Oddometer:
    :deal