1. eNewsletter Sign Up

What is the ride like from Calgary to Fairbanks?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by SQ Beemer, Apr 2, 2014.

1. SQ Beemer

SQ Beemer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am going to start riding from Calgary on Monday around noon, 5/26.

I need to be in Fairbanks by Saturday evening, 5/31.

Alternatively, I can be in Tok, AK Friday evening, 5/30.

Is this going to be difficult? Easy? Reasonable?
  2. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went from Calgary to Fairbanks on my 650....Easy
    I also hitch hiked from Fairbanks to Calgary in less than 5 days.....back in the day , it also was easy:D
  3. FlyRescue

FlyRescue Support S&R, Get lost!

Oddometer:
    400 miles a day, average, seems totally reasonable. I've driven it in way less time than that 3 times, and I rode up the cassiar in 2011, and as long as you stop when you need to stop, etc, it'll be easy. Pretty boring run though. Green tunnel, 100 foot cutback both sides of the road, undulating hills, nonexistent towns. Bring books on tape.
  4. SQ Beemer

SQ Beemer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your experience with this route, guys. Feeling a lot better about making my rendezvous with my Prudhoe Bay group! After doing some new calculations, I actually think I may be able to intersect them in Watson lake, YT.

Books on tape is a good idea. I've been loading up my offline content with Spotify, but didn't think of what to listen to when I'm tired of rockin' out all the time.
  5. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    The section of road between Ft Nelson and Liard Hotsprings is enjoyable. As close to the old ALCAN as you will encounter with a narrower more winding road through mountainous terrain; and, more wildlife. Lots of oil field activity in the Ft Nelson area and lodging can be hard to come by. We always try to ensure we pass through that area at a time when we do not want to stop.

Meet your buddies at Nugget City in the Wolf It Down Restaurant. Very good food and cabins. Definitely a step up from the normal AK highway burgers and fries. It is 12 miles west of Watson Lake, 1 mile west of the intersection with the Cassiar.

In Haines Junction there is a very nice bakery a block off the ALCAN just before the highway takes a right headed for Destruction Bay. Right behind the bakery is a place called the Paddlewheel. They rent kayaks and such, but they also have two cabins. TV, wood stove with wood provided, running water (shower and toilet 30 feet away) all for $70.

Plan to slow down a bit between Destruction Bay and Beaver Creek. This section of road is habitually rough due to frost heaves.... severe frost heaves and other road damage. Lookout for the guy headed in the opposite direction bouncing into your lane. This picture was taken on that stretch of road....

[​IMG]