1. eNewsletter Sign Up

What is the road between Dawson and Whitehorse like?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Andrewmc, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Andrewmc

Andrewmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was looking at my wall map yesterday and noticed that there is a road between the two. I had no idea it existed, so what is it called and what's it like to ride?
  2. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    Paved highway similar to the Glenn Highway... For some fun, Cut off at Carmacks,run the Robert Cambell to the Canol Rd, and come into Whitehorse from the backside. A fun Adventure ride.
  3. Dharmadon

Dharmadon road warrior

Oddometer:
    I have been going up to the Dawson Music Festival for a number of years, and that road is a real joy to ride, especially when there are no RCMP around. Some long straight stretches to wind it out to 110 on my cruiser 1200....
    Was just thinking about the 5 finger rapids area yesterday.
    Yukon headwaters around Whitehorse are opening up!
    Summer!!!!:clap
  4. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    A buddy and I were on that stretch in the absolute worst lightening storm I've ever been in. Hail bouncing so thick that it looked like a 12" thick cushion you were driving into.

Beautiful area and I'm sure the storm was an anomaly but won't forget it. Ever.
  5. TRACTOR RIDER

TRACTOR RIDER No Rules Gruver

Oddometer:
    The road is great. the canadians keep it in nice shape. About 337 miles from Whitehorse to Dawson City. Stop by the CENI-BUN for soup and sand.

TR:huh
  6. MMNORTH

MMNORTH Got GUZZI

Oddometer:
    Where is CENI-BUN?
  7. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    No... The Braeburn Lodge for a Cinnamon Roll :clap !!!
  8. ColininKodiak

ColininKodiak (not in Kodiak)

Oddometer:
    Ok you guys have piqued my interest. Would mid/late May be an ok time to pass through or should I just ride the Alcan to the Tok cutoff and head south this time of year? I want to spent 2 days in Anchorage (lady friend interest for those of you who care) but I want to make the most of my northern 2 wheeled trip in May. At this point it comes down to good food/scenery VS. fun times and less traveling.
  9. Andrewmc

Oddometer:
    Anybody going to do this after D2D?
  10. TRACTOR RIDER

Oddometer:
    I'm going to take that road on June 23, for D2D.

Scenic. and I want a cinnamon BUN!

11. TRACTOR RIDER

Oddometer:
    THat's the place:clap

12. MMNORTH

MMNORTH Got GUZZI

Oddometer:
    5 of us from Anchorage will also be coming up from Whitehorse on the 23rd. 2 Caponords, 2 GS's and a Multi. Starting from Haines-Skagway the day before.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  13. Andrewmc

Oddometer:
    I'd love to do that. But my bike will be out on a rental the week before D2D. I'll be lucky to even make it from Palmer on friday...:baldy
  14. TRACTOR RIDER

Oddometer:
    I will be camping in Whitehorse on the 22nd. if it is raining hard i'll be at the 202 hotel. are u camping or hoteling it? I'll be on the K bike.

15. MMNORTH

MMNORTH Got GUZZI

Oddometer:
    My Mistake, we leave Whitehorse morning of the 24th. Dont know where we are staying in WH yet, may be camping.
  16. TRACTOR RIDER

Oddometer:
    C U in Dawson City:freaky

17. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yukon river just went out, May 1st. I don't know what the plans are for getting the ferry in the water and then we need our respective border security heavys to get their shit together. Their jobs are in the travel industry but don't depend on it to get paid so why give a shit. Last year they were almost two weeks after the ferry went in before they had the border open.
    Regretfully, mid May might be a little early for coming this way. Check to be sure when all is open and I will post on ADV just as soon as the coast is clear!

The place is Braeburn lodge, about one hour north of Whitehorse on the N Klondike. Moose Creek lodge about 15 minutes past Stewart Crossing is open again this year and is a great stop for coffee, goodies and food.
  18. MMNORTH

MMNORTH Got GUZZI

Oddometer:
    Good info! Any more info on the Klondike Loop is welcome.
    Thanks
    Matt
  19. GL1800

GL1800 RAT PACK---GS GAINT

Oddometer:
    Hello Dapman, two riders coming in from Texas around the 13th of June heading to Prudhoe bay. This route off Alcan to Canol Rd to Cambell Rd Hwy to KLondike Hwy (Carmacks . Garmin shows it to be mainly gravel or is it 110 mph paved? LOL Looking for Gravel but we Do need to be in Fairbanks by 15th. Thinking of staying on the Klondike through Dawson city and onto Fairbanks. Just for faster time. ?? which way would be quicker if weather was good and traffic & road condition were the only problems to figure on. Thanks Lary :beer
  20. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    GL1800,
    This is a one lane+ road that has adventure stamped all over it. When we went through, the bridges that had washed out had been repaired, but the entrance and exits to them were soft from the new repairs. The road was rutted from the rains on dirt not gravel, and the two way trafic had chewed it up enough to make it interesting. We encountered 2 washouts, one being a 18 inch deep trough about 2 feet across with sharp edges, the other a mud slide that trapped at least one of us and made him peddle across.

I'm making it out to be some "monster" kind of road, but it isn't. It was a very interesting and scenic route that required the rider to focus the entire way. I LOVED it, but was glad when I came to the other end. 110 miles of that road done with little or no breaks was long enough. This is no highway, it's remote, and as wild as they get. I've never seen so much bear shit as on that road, every corner had at least 1 pile in it. Never saw a bear, but we ran it during the day, mornings and evening would be a different story.

If you have the bike and the time for it do it... you'll never forget it.:wink: