What is the strangest thing you hit/almost hit?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cherokee, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between ice, snow and just plain cold, I’m staying in!
  2. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a turtle, some snakes and occasional suicidal squirrel (the ones that runs down the road and not across it). A couple of weeks ago, came a little close to hitting a dead deer that was in the middle of the road around a blind turn. If I was on 4 wheels I might of hit it.
  3. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    My 4x4 just missed a young kid in a small car going way too fast.

I went way around the RCMP on the side of the highway, I even slowed down a bit, but not much.
  4. lifeofliberty

lifeofliberty If you're bored, you're not living

Oddometer:
    Wife and I were driving her car with me behind the wheel. There was a long line of 50+ cars headed in the opposite direction on the two-lane road, all in a procession (bumper to bumper basically). Some stupid cop pulls out from the very rear of this line and floors it in our lane. Does not slow down and we've got no place to go, road barrier on the right and a line of cars on the left. Shit-for-brains LEO continues to accelerate right at us, and I'm slowing down, looking for someplace to go. At the last second I slam on the brakes and stuff the car onto the right shoulder as close as I can without hitting the road railing. LEO doesn't even slow down, squeeks through the middle of the road opening I created and continues on - around a blind curve. No idea if he killed anybody.

Seriously pissed me off, especially when I found out that he was simply trying to get to the head of the line of traffic so he could "lead the procession" to a firefighters bbq a few miles up the road. This jerk deserved to be fired.
    Valker likes this.
  5. mr bones

mr bones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hit a Roo a few years back. I don't advise it. Cost me 9 months out of work and a motorbike. "Well insurance claim any way.

As for the weird and wonderful, I drive big F*#k trains. I've hit hundreds of Roo's, a few sheep, a dog, an Emu, a couple of Cows. Some wombats, snakes, birds. All sorts. Every time I hate it. .
  6. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Road train or railroad train?
  7. catneck

catneck Rabid Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    A Cat. Right on the neck. Hence my username.
  8. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    Eels.
    Some time ago in south east Australia, wriggling across the road.
    I missed them. Could have been a slippery collision.

I thought the first one was just a snake, until I saw a few more.
    It was raining and apparently these ones live in freshwater but migrate to the Coral Sea to breed.
    Zubb likes this.
  9. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Winner.
  10. Rockred

Rockred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I nearly hit a Red Kite that was swooping down onto a road kill. The Bird was so focused on the kill, that it did not see me until the last moment, then it looked straight into my eyes, and scooped the dead rabbit up with one talon, all the time staring me in the eyes, as it started to gain height, I had to duck down to avoid the hit, as I passed just under it.

It was an amazing sight. And I feel very privileged to have witnessed it
    cal08 likes this.
  11. sixspeed

sixspeed Put on the WHOLE armor

Oddometer:
    Exiled from the land of gum bands & bottle of pop
    Christmas eve in the car.

Coming along PA route 501 before Reistville in Lebanon county Amish country. I see cars nearly stopped in front of me and I thought it was the usual horse and buggy.

I look and 3 cars up is a horse without any harness is running down the middle of our lane. People are stopping and trying to get it to come to us and it keeps on prancing.

People start inching forward and then get out again and the horse keeps prancing and jumps left, right into the path of an oncoming car driven by a young man who just crested a hill!

Stopped the car dead in it's tracks and the front end was folded back to the windshield and the horse bounced into the right shoulder.

The young fellow was in shock and barely made it out of the car and the horse was lying still and bleeding heavily from the nose and mouth.

About a dozen people quickly got out of cars and assisted. Luckily one of those on scene was an EMT and he took the young man and administered care to the young fellow even though he seemed to be uninjured. The horse was not able to move and we had to back out of the way to clear the road for the emergency vehicles to arrive.

Strange but sad Christmas eve.
  12. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to dodge a javelina a couple months ago. It darted out of the bushes on a two lane road. I was doing about 60mph. It was big enough to take me out and short enough to be hidden by the brush.
  13. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    I almost hit on the waitress at lunch. That was a close one.
  14. turbodieseli4i6

turbodieseli4i6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a bad choice. At least you know she doesn't have any problems fetching you a sammich.
    cal08, JCool and davenowherejones like this.
  15. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah, but shes always going to fetch every other guy a sammich too
    DeepBarney and turbodieseli4i6 like this.
  16. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    ^ :lol3

Last year I was heading up north on I-5 north of Vancouver, Wa and was following a light truck in the middle lane which I couldn't see around and I like to be able to see beyond the car in front of me for safety. On the right of me was a fully loaded semi truck which we had both just passed. With just enough distance between the light truck in front of me and the semi in the right lane, I went to switch to the right lane in front of the semi. Unfortunately, there was a steel stool with the legs sticking up about 18" right where the lane markers are which I baaaaarely missed. I felt my left foot glance it as I rode by it. Had I hit it, I wouldn't be typing right now. The scariest of my 'what could have happened' situations.
  17. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Almost four months...no weird stuff in the road?! UNPOSSIBLE!:norton
  18. digcolnagos

digcolnagos Bewildered

Oddometer:
    Not too weird, but memorable. Birds should learn to slow down and not fly 100 mph...

upload_2018-4-18_9-50-32.png
  19. Wobblyoldgeezer

Wobblyoldgeezer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    about 40 years ago, Kawasaki vertical twin, M4 in England on a sunny morning after a freezing night. About an inch-thick of ice lifted off the top of a container truck in front of me, 40 feet by 8 feet. I saw it lifting and braked onto the shoulder. Cars behind, not so lucky
    Macho Man2 likes this.
  20. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's crazy! There are some pretty stiff penalties here for people who leave ice and snow on the tops of their vehicles, but lots of people still do. They are very strict on trucks though. Was anybody hurt?