What is the strangest thing you hit/almost hit?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cherokee, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    Chelydra serpentina, twice. Both times I came up on them as they were in the left wheel track of my lane, which is where I usually ride.

The first one was lifted and carried, hissing but manageable, to the shoulder and pointed toward the forest to which it was headed.

The second one was notably larger and had quite a combative disposition. His neck extended around and back toward my hands to a degree that caused me to put him back down, quickly, and write off that particular rescue effort.
  2. Patek

Patek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not on a motorcycle but driving my old 535. It was my first job out of the Air Force. I was a shift supervisor in an automotive plant in LaGrange GA. I would run the night shift and usually start home about 1:00am to Newnan GA about 30 miles away.

I am following this truck as it is chugging along the freeway trying to overtake another truck in the slow lane. I am tired and blinking back the zs from working in a hot plant all night. The overtaking truck is filled with large boards (maybe 4X6) stacked and as I'm zoning out staring at them waiting for this truck to move, I suddenly get the impression that some of the boards are growing... I instinctively back off and start applying the brakes.

Seconds later, 3 or 4 boards, slide off the back of the truck and one of them is coming straight towards my windshield. I somehow in my sleepy state dodge it. Another board falls off the truck but for a second keeps pace on the road like another vehicle until friction slows it down. The whole thing seemed surreal and almost like an out of body experience.

I realize that the driver has no idea what is going on so I chase him down (from a distance) flashing and blaring my horn. He finally pulls off the road. Could have killed me.
  3. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Central Valley near Salinas California on a windy day pushing north, something almost hit me....
    100 yards behind an 18 wheeler with empty flatbeds that had heavy plywood inserts in its trailers.
    I saw the wind pick up the edge of one of the inserts and as the wind caught it I watched flip up high into the air.
    In a split second I ducked as it flew over my helmet.
    Checking my rear view I saw a Cadillac following a few yards behind me, as it smashed into the grille.
    Close call...
  4. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Not on a bike, but years ago driving my 73 Mercedes 450SEL (big ol' sedan), the kind with that classic sharp edged grill. Driving with my then wife on the highway. Suddenly two birds, one chasing the other, flew directly into the path of that top grill edge. 1st bird turned away quickly, 2nd one,...er, not quite. Lets just say that sharp top edge of the grill was very effective at slicing a bird in two, at precisely the right distance that one bloody half pasted itself to the windshield. Then wife could barely handle the view from inside the windshield.
  5. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Pick the large ones up by the tail, but keep your hands back far enough that the hind leg's claws don't get you. :thumb

Or grab the shell right behind the head with the other hand. I've seen the pictures of that being done, but I'm NOT going to try it. :nah
  6. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I drive this patch of sand covered road through the woods several times a season, moving slowly so I don't hit the rare-turtle.

Still have not seen one!

Not sure if the turtle is rare, or if it's rare that you would see one.. :lol3

14t.jpg
    bacon palace and Macho Man2 like this.
  7. zetabird

zetabird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have one of those cuddley girls, ive had her for going on 16 years now. the way they can stretch the neck around is shocking and terrifying if your not ready for it.... and combative is pretty accurate. last one i had to relocate off the road i found a branch to shoo them away.
    Tall Man and Macho Man2 like this.
  8. Macho Man2

Macho Man2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I routinely stop and assist turtles across the road. One day on the way to work I saw a large snapping turtle up against a newly installed chain link fence that had been put up blocking his path to a big pond. He had been trying to dig under the fence so he had mud caked on his sharp claws(Thank God). I stopped and having been dealing with them all my life, I knew he could almost stretch his neck around to his tail I just scooped him up with my hands under him and lifted him over the fence. I still got mud streaks on both forearms with streaks from his claws but because of the mud I wasn't hurt. I'm sure the doctor that owned the property appreciated me helping the turtle over the fence as I herd he had the pond stocked with fish after having the fence put up Ha Ha.
  9. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Long timer

Oddometer:
    A pickup local to me was struck by a big chunk of ice this week. Huge vertical hole in the windshield. Truck/Trailer it flew off of went on its merry way.
  10. harry66

harry66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A Christmas tree. It was standing in the middle of my driving lane. In Austria on a mountain road in the middle of summer.
  11. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Probably a Blanding's turtle (Emys blandingii or Emydoidea blandingii ).
  12. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    vulture or cow shit or worse a working liquid manure sprayer
  13. zetabird

zetabird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so far the only thing i hit was a rabbit, in the middle of a lean on a long turn, but that lead to the ground....then a telephone pole.... then about 300 feet of soybean field.... that was not a fun day
  14. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Was it wabbit season?

Or perhaps duck season? :bmwrider
  15. GaryM

GaryM Huh? What?

Oddometer:
    My KLR is a death machine. I have hit and killed a bunny and hit/maimed a deer to the point I walked up and capped him in the head with my ccw Keltec.
  16. millman84

millman84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So did you put the deer out of commission to?

:hide
  17. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Six months without hitting anything weird? UNPOSSIBLE!
  18. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    A port-a-loo (chemical tiolet)... that fell of a low loader trailer (poorly secured - by - amongst others - yours truly) while on a corrugated section of gravel road. We were "packing up" after big function (B&S Rugby club ball - for the "aussies" in the crowd).

I was following along behind in a Toyota pick-up. Predicting the "bounce" of the plastic outhouse was pretty sketchy... predicting the "splash" of the effluent... impossible... :twitch

[​IMG]

... again... luckily I was in a Toyota pick-up. :lol3
  19. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:
    funny, this thread just came up again, and on facebook memories today showed up where I shared someone on here from new Zealand was hit by a "falling sheep". Someone look up the poster because as far as im concerned they win.

"Falling Sheep"
    Whilst riding through some of the most beautiful New Zealand scenery early one winters morning just out of Queenstown a sheep fell from an 40 -50 foot cliff and landed on my handle bars sending me an my new Suzuki GT750 down the road. I didn't have a clue what happened but a following driver reported it as she saw the lot. Damage was surprising minimal to the bike as the sheep some how fell under the bike and literally wore itself out protecting my bike. I dinged my knee and spent four days in the local village hospital. Always been extra cautious around them when biking ever since.
  20. IronButt70

IronButt70 You don't have to be crazy to do this but it helps

Oddometer:
    A buzzard. Was cruising a local back road and didn't see a bunch of them feeding on road kill in the tall grass. Just as I got to them they scattered to get airborne. One hit my fairing, rolled up the windshield and hit the top of my helmet. Pulled over to survey the damage. Amazingly no damage to the bike other than the fairing being covered in buzzard crap. I had a sore neck for a few days. Hit a deer once in Virginia while serving in the Army. Do deer strikes even count? :D
    Falling sheep? That is crazy.