What is the strangest thing you hit/almost hit?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cherokee, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    This does not surprise me. I get some people that call me from there and have lukewarm IQs.
  2. gmiguy

gmiguy You rode a what to where?

Oddometer:
    I hit something with my chest while road riding in eastern PA several years ago. I'm not sure what it was, because it exploded.

It was about softball sized covered in fur, full of blood, and suspended in midair in the middle of the day. My guess is either a confused bat or an unlucky squirrel that had fallen out of a tree at just the right time for me to intercept it.
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  3. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ok, thats kinda creepy
  4. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    I didn't come close to hitting it, but I certainly stared at it. Today, I saw a big trash truck...painted bright pink.
  5. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Must be related to our cement truck also painted bright pink.

We were painting an aircraft a few years ago. I asked search & rescue what colour is easiest to find. Bright pink. I am gonna ditch the lime green & go pink next time.

ps We painted the aircraft green & white. Don't ask about the cargo.
  6. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:
    pink for breast cancer month, but dont get me started on how awareness for WOMENS breast cancer using pink also suppresses mens awareness and increases shame and therefor lack of treatment and increased chance of death.
    Tall Man likes this.
  7. Khantahr

Khantahr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At the risk of getting you started... what's wrong with pink? Honest question.

I have a small issue with the whole "awareness" thing. Being aware doesn't help anybody, if you really care about breast cancer (or anything else) actually do something to help it.
  8. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:

I don’t speak for @mfp4073 but I SUSPECT his point was that “breast cancer awareness” typically focuses a fine point on breast cancer in WOMEN, and in doing so downplays male breast cancer. Many people don’t even believe it exists, and for that and other reasons it often goes undiagnosed. Obviously that’s not good.
    Jarlaxle and Tmaximusv like this.
  9. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Life just isn't fair anymore.
    dmason likes this.
  10. WindBlast

WindBlast Sonorous and Effulgent

Oddometer:
    On my bike I killed a coyote in NY, got hit by an owl in CA, and almost was run over by an elk in MT (dirt bike).
    brgsprint likes this.
  11. Zubb

Oddometer:
    At least you got paid the bounty for it's hide in NY, barely escaped prison in CA, and almost had fantastic steak for dinner in MT.
    That's 3 wins in my book.
    Rippin209 likes this.
  12. WindBlast

WindBlast Sonorous and Effulgent

Oddometer:
    Except for the busted fairing and snapped shifter with the coyote I would agree with you. The owl almost took my head off but no damage. I needed to change undies after the elk encounter.
    rcinclt likes this.
  13. Zubb

Oddometer:
    And this, my friend, is why we ride!

I was riding 100' behind my son in North Washington and watched a huge Bald Eagle swoop off it's nest, down toward my son and extended it's talons and swept inches by his helmet. Like he was trying to pluck a fish from the water. That thing had a 4-5' wingspan. Never a camera on when you need it.

My son didn't really know what happened. I on the other hand needed an undi-change.

Funny thing, I hit a deer on Lolo pass about 20 years ago. Had green deer-shit all over my left side. I guess the doe would've needed an undie change had she lived. I bent more than a shifter though.
  14. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    I seen ‘em!

BF284A01-E848-4EC4-A88E-6A8A870389E5.jpeg
    mfp4073, zoid and Zubb like this.
  15. small_e_900

small_e_900 Amanda carried it

Oddometer:
    I almost hit one of those 3"X3"X8" aluminum load dividers that fell out of a trailer. The Jeep in front of me hit it good. He got air, at 70 mph. :eekers

I almost hit an aluminum extension ladder laying in the road.

I almost hit a plastic 55 gallon drum that blew out of the back of a truck at 65 MPH. It kept bouncing and spinning from lane to lane.

Night time. Three lanes of traffic. Arlington Va. Two lanes full of tractor trailers.
    I'm in the #1 lane just whizzing by, minding my own business when the trucks swerve partly into my lane as I'm even with the lead truck's cab. Just then, I see what I thought was a paper bag blowing around in my lane, but it was a big hub cap, spinning and skittering all around in front of me. I barely managed to not get hit by the truck, swerve my way around the hub cap, just in time for the little sedan that had the tire blow-out and subsequent hub cap ejection, to swerve into my lane, missing me by literal inches.

For the next ten miles or so, I kept saying out loud, " Holy shit, that was close." over and over.

About a half hour later, I saw what I thought was a paper bag blowing around in my lane and I locked on the binders, only to realize that it actually was a paper bag.

When I lived in North Jersey, coming home at night from working second shift, on countless occasions, I came close enough to deer that we both smelled fear.
  16. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I almost hit a grizzly bear. Narrow road.
  17. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    North Jersey? You mean you weren't dodging gunfire?

:hide
  18. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:
    this. The whole paradigm focuses on woman to the exclusion of telling all people to be vigilant. the use of pink discourages men to consider it because its viewed as a woman disease. Because of this, mortality rates among men with breast cancer are much higher than woman. I had a serious breast cancer scare once and was treated like a second class citizen at every step of the way. /rant
  19. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not hit, but almost hit by.

On a very windy afternoon ride home on I-580 many years ago, I was drafting a pickup towing a boat. Evidently, the boaters had left a number of bags of groceries in the open boat and the wind was whipping them around/tearing them up. The truck rolled over a chunk of lumber laying in the road and when the trailer hit it, something popped up out of the open boat. As I swerved to avoid the hunk of 2x4 in the road, a full can of beer went sailing by inches from my head. I saw the can explode in my mirror when it hit the pavement behind me.
  20. runpet

runpet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This summer I came perilously close to hitting a river otter. Those things are big. I don't know how I missed it. It was a virtual zoo out there on the road this year. Vultures, eagles, cranes, turtles, cows, horses and of course deer. Way to many fucking deer.