What is the strangest thing you hit/almost hit?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cherokee, Jun 16, 2006.

1. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which in turn results in MORE deer.
    thereal_od, flei, Tmaximusv and 4 others like this.
  2. zoid

zoid Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer:
    Buzzard. Buzzards actually. On my 250, I hit two of them in one day. For some odd reason, the were running across the road and I hit them with my left footpeg and foot. You would think that they would cross at crosswalks, but NOOOOO. They have to cross wherever they damn well please. No self discipline whatsoever.

But then I hit one on my Beemer. I live in the Ozarks and was having way too much fun on a roller coaster road. Came up over a steep hill and saw some movement on my left. Hit the brakes and watched it fly right into my clutch lever, explode, roll up my arm and smack me in the helmet. Hit hard enough that I saw stars and repeated the mantra " don't pass out, don't pass out, don't pass out" until I could pull off to the side of the road. Put the sidestand down and fell off of the bike. Crawled over to the side of the road, drank water and breathed deeply for awhile until recovered,

I was getting tired of the stench of the feedyard I had parked next to until I realized there was no feedyard nearby. The front of my jacket was covered with buzzard guts and whatever it had for lunch. I skipped lunch that day.

I have hit three deer and three buzzards. I am never going to Africa. They have elephants. And lions, and tigers, and bears, oh my.
    iflysideways, WIDGIN, tlub and 3 others like this.
  3. digcolnagos

digcolnagos Bewildered

Oddometer:
    Arguably, the best post ever made here.
  4. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Magpie, at speed and it flew through my front wheel, well part way through anyway.

Then I had to put up with the smell of KFC for the next 40km, stopped for gas, went into pay and the guy at the cash register leapt backwards.

"Um ?'

He couldn't speak, just pointed at the mirror behind one of the racks, yeah I took a step back as well, covered in blood and feathers. I looked like a walking satanic ritual ;).
  5. digcolnagos

digcolnagos Bewildered

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Done the bird thing a few times--I think I might have posted this previously, but can't recall. Please forgive. Happened in South Dakota--the bird was flying way too fast. There was no overt smell. I intended on keeping it just like this until I got to the West Coast, but after not so many miles, it began coming loose, so I stopped to remove it, realized I might as well call it a day and so got a cheap room. There were, at least, three bird cages, with birds in them, in the motel office. The clerk kept parakeets and I don't know what all else as pets. This was not the Bates Motel.

Also hit a river otter. Yes, they are big.
    iflysideways and X5- like this.
  6. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:
    um....gross....
  7. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Fucking cattle in the road. Fortunately I've not hit any yet, but goddamn I hate "open ranges".

Had some very close calls in several states, including Idaho, Oregon, Texas, Wyoming, and California.
  8. small_e_900

small_e_900 Amanda carried it

Oddometer:

North Jersey. That's a given. :-)
  9. olderigetfasteriam

olderigetfasteriam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Asking for a friend but could she possibly get that back? Will pay postage.
    Rockred, Khantahr and liberpolly like this.
  10. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Going for the Serenity Reaver's look?
    CaptCapsize and mfp4073 like this.
  11. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Last weekend a rat bastard pulling a flatbed trailer loaded with full garbage bags lost one of the bags on the road in front of me. Easy dodge, but no luck for the car behind me that hit it (he was clearly not paying attention -- he was WAY behind me and still hit the damn thing after it had just about stopped sliding).

In NM your trailer loads must be covered by a tied-down tarp. In this case, the tarp was flapping around wildly, and during one such flap, it basically belched out a full garbage bag. :eekers Also, this stupid asshole was doing about 65 in a 50, and it was a very windy day. So he flies past me (4 lane hiway) and then the trailer produces a large garbage bag. I fucking hate trucks and trailers. Of course the driver didn't stop either -- no fucking clue anything was wrong.
    handensco likes this.
  12. mfp4073

mfp4073 Long timer

Oddometer:
    btw. I want to apologize for my previous "pink" rant. It wasnt really the place.
  13. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    I was riding down by San Diego State University one day. The sights of the lovely coeds were so agreeable I almost hit a post.
  14. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No excuses for this, but also no sympathy for the idiot who hit it when he wasn't paying attention. Only time I don't blame people for hitting stuff in the road is when it falls off a vehicle that just cut in front of them, or other similar situations out of their control.
  15. viajero

Oddometer:
    Weiner dog, yellow bellied marmot, kid on a unlicensed mini-bike.
  16. WIDGIN

WIDGIN When In Doubt, Gas It Now

Oddometer:
    Groundhog, Squirrels, Seagull, Endangered parrot, Cinder block:(
  17. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    About twenty minutes ago...trash can that some asshole painted flat black.
  18. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Around here, with the wind, dodging people’s trash cans is a full time activity!
  19. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
  20. viajero

Oddometer:
    A similar thing happened to me in Mexico City once.