What is the strangest thing you hit/almost hit?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cherokee, Jun 16, 2006.

1. tallbob

tallbob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hit, horse, buzzard and a deer.
    Almost hit, many, many deer, a whole herd of milk cows and recently a black bear.
  2. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    More that it was rattle-canned flat black.
    Tmaximusv likes this.
  3. maineDave

maineDave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Posted this elsewhere earlier this year, it really got me paying attention to cargo and esp roof-mounted gear. This guy had the boat end sticking above the cab sufficient to create enormous lift and what looked like clothesline trying to offset the physics:

I barely registered the canoe perched atop an oncoming pickup initially, but some mental twig made me think that either the bearing or aspect of the boat did not exactly match the vehicle it was perched on as it got nearer. And sure as shit, that thing caught lift, cranked sideways, and levered into my lane, then proceeded to pull off the bed and landed skidding just behind me.
    Closing speed was probably 80ish, backroads and no other traffic, and luckily the poor blacktop and camber already had me near the fog line; otherwise, I'm guessing either a massive vector change (not good) or going down (maybe worse) would have been in my future.

maineDave
  4. YBDRTY

YBDRTY Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A coyote. Pretty sure I ran over his tail.

Wile E. Coyote.jpg
    HuntWhenever likes this.
  5. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Truck tire tread at night on I-10 headed back to Houston from Big Bend. Caught some big air requiring a change of undies upon arrival.
  6. small_e_900

small_e_900 Amanda carried it

Oddometer:
    It wasn't an almost hit, but an actual hit.
    I hit a moose at highway speed while driving a minivan.
    I'm glad I didn't die. It was a minivan. Nobody should die in a minivan.
  7. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    I want to die in bed, just not my own bed and no damn hospital bed either.

I hit the ground because I was going too slow uphill watching girls do jumps.
  8. DR Donk

DR Donk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. crazy cat

crazy cat Crazy cat

Oddometer:
    A wombat went under my back wheel .did not see it coming
  10. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    On a group ride and saw a brush turkey run out from the left of the road, didnt feel a hit but couldn't see it exit on the right either.

An hour later we stopped and I asked the other riders if anyone could smell roast chicken? :scratch

Looked down and there he was, stuck between the header pipes, gently roasting away. :lol3
    mfp4073 likes this.
  11. der_saeufer

der_saeufer ?איפה בירה

Oddometer:
    So you're saying there IS such a thing as a free lunch?
    William Wolfen likes this.
  12. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    Ha ha, not quite free. When I got home, it took me a good couple of hours of hard labour using steel wool to get all the blood, guts and feathers off the header pipes.
  13. olderigetfasteriam

olderigetfasteriam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy Thanksgiving to you too!
    Tmaximusv likes this.
  14. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    A small owl,,,but I didn't hit it, I was attacked by it. Was driving through the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo and this owl flys across the road, levels off towards me and attacks my helmet with full talons out. I ducked but it still raked the top of the helmet.

A huge roll of wide steel banding that slid off the back of a flat bed 18 wheeler. I was far enough back that I could brake when I saw the dust cloud. As I passed there was nothing but a mass tangle of razor sharp edges.

A semi full of meat, at night in a construction zone. The trailer had flipped and torn open and there was meat everywhere, hams and like that. The cab went off the left side and plunged off the road on an overpass. heard later the driver did not survive.

Took out two small birds. One driving through a flock crossing the road. I took one in the throat. The other was weird. It was a dumb teenager bird playing in traffic on south park. He would fly across the road in front of a car them pop up on the wave of air being pushed by the car. then he would circle around to play it again. I watched him do a couple of cars. We were all doing 90. he does it to me and there was no wave of air. Hit me in the chest and rolls off. Went back, not much left.
  15. fortrider

fortrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Almost got taken out one night by an armadillo, glad I missed that creature.
    Another ride in N Carolina I could see ahead and thought it was a pipe laying across the road. As I got closer saw that it was moving, the biggest black indigo snake I have ever seen.
    One of the worst was a truck pulling a trailer that was actually stopped with no brake lights, that one did not turn out so well.