What is the strangest thing you hit/almost hit?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cherokee, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Steve in Golden

Steve in Golden Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Years ago, on my '78 BMW R80, I was heading up Coal Creek Canyon. Came around a blind curve and there was a washing machine in the road that had just fallen off of a pickup truck. Luckily I was able to stop in time.
  2. rebake

rebake Long timer

Oddometer:
    Black bear in New Hampshire about a month ago.Missed it by about 15 ft.
  3. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    some drunk on the wrong side of the road in a long curved tunnel
  4. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    That sounds scary as fuck.
    KTee and davenowherejones like this.
  5. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    Yep, 60 mph two lane narrow long tunnel.
  6. Pago Cruiser

Pago Cruiser Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A small tractor. A couple weeks ago.
    Been a couple months of 60-80 hours a week, getting in at 6:00-7:00 am, leaving at 8:00 pm. Sometimes later. On salary - but that's another story...:becca
    Have a 50 mile ride in and out, mostly on I10. It's usually the best part of my day... Posted is 75, most do 80, many 85; any faster and the Dept of Public Safety pulls you over with a radar confirmed award...

Leave work about 8:30 pm, butt tired as usual. Get through town, get on the freeway, light traffic, take it up to 70-75. Any slower, and I risk being passed by most traffic - which I feel is dangerous. Have really good stock lights on a early Valkyrie, augmented by a pair of Clearwater Krista LEDs, 3000 lumens each. Can only use them without traffic within a couple miles ahead - but they turn night into day when they are on. Opposing traffic for most of the ride is between 600' to a mile away - great road engineering through basically low hill country east of Tucson.

Maybe 4 miles from my offramp and approaching a clump of traffic. On low beam. 4-5 cars have been slowly gaining on me, a couple hundred feet behind. I'm in slow lane, and keep seeing sparks from under the car in front of me; I'm back prolly 150 feet. Figured it was a chain from the trailer being towed in front of him, but could not quite see. Guy pulls out to pass the trailer - too close - maybe 2 car lengths between them. I see the chain dragging and bouncing from a trailer loaded with crap - furniture? Odd shaped stuff? Tarps flapping. And a black mass at the rear - can not really make it out. I punch it to go around the trailer, and as I get closer the chain starts sparking more. Get about 50 feet from it... and the black mass resolves itself as a small tractor, and it falls off.:yikes

Sparks, sparks, one bounce dead behind the trailer, one bounce to the left, something flies off fast and passes IN FRONT of me at about waist height. I'm thinking shit. This is it. I'm still accelerating, zig hard left, the tractor takes the position where I was, I go to the shoulder edge, straighten it out, and I'm ALIVE! It was prolly only 2-3 seconds, but it seemed like 30... Look in my mirror, and all I see are wild bouncing around headlights through the dust - someone went off road, and I hear tire squeals. Flipped off the SOB towing his trailer of death as he was pulling over - although doubtful he even saw me. Took the offramp, and home in another 10 minutes. Had 3 fingers of 12 year Chevas Regal to calm down. Looked around the house thinking... I'm damn glad to be here.

Been riding over 50 years - 20+ bikes, something over 200,000 miles... and that was the closest.:grim

My spidey sense has saved my bacon a few times over the decades - but nothing this time. Prolly being worn out and exhausted dulls the reception...
    zoid, KTee and Rippin209 like this.
  7. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've drive 10 East of Tucson literally 100 of times, what exit were you headedfor?

One in a car I watch some clown out that way bounce off each guardrail three times and spin off the road in front of me one icy January morning...snowed like hell in Sierra Vista that day.
  8. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you made it out ok. I use Bluetooth ear buds with foam tips (like the kind you use at a loud work site) and listen to music, leaving work after long days I would be tired to the point it was like driving drunk, listening to the music made a huge difference I would highly recommend a similar setup if your feeling disconnected on the way home
  9. Pago Cruiser

Pago Cruiser Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This was just after clearing the Empirita offramp, eastbound. Heading for J6/Mescal.
    Appreciate the thought on the music, but I find it distracting. I generally check the bike over for 5-10 minutes after exiting the building just to clear my head, then saddle up...

Did bit of searching, and it seems the I10 in AZ is the 5th deadliest Interstate in the country:

http://www.pinalcentral.com/casa_gr...cle_dc2cd500-9e04-11e6-98f8-23b015ec51de.html

There are some funny numbers in there though - 54 fatals per 100 miles over a 5 year period. ???

If you dig around though, you can put find some real-world numbers. AZ has 400 miles of I10. in the 2011-2015 period there were 1350 fatals on I10 in all states - with AZ's share being 20%, about 300 in round numbers. 300 fatals over 5 years, 60 per year on 400 miles of freeway. Once every 6 days someone dies on the AZ I10.

Commuting 100 miles/day, you see it all. Lots of SFB's still on cell phones with lane wandering and speeding up and down. Several single fatals/year - cagers just drive off the road into canyons, bridge abutments, each other , etc. A good percentage of Mexico plated traffic, with duct tape cut into letters and taped on the rear window of a caravan "IN TOW". Many of these ... folks... are doing 25-35 in overloaded vehicles whilst traffic whizzes by at 85... Just lots of really stupid driving tricks... Guess that what happens when you are in the bottom 5 states in education spending for a decade - you get a lot of not-bright folks steering (not driving) 2 ton missiles at 80 mph, thinking this is a good time to do my make-up, catch up on my tweets, read a book, read the newspaper, (which is odd - who reads newspapers?) watch TV, text my friend, do some knitting, catch up on homework (writing on a legal ad resting up against the steering wheel), etc.

OK, one more rant ...
    Truckers have all been exposed to some brain eating virus that lives in diesel fumes. They used to be the best drivers around - not anymore. As long as there is one car length between you and their trailer, they will pull into the fast lane MAKING YOU HAVE TO HIT THE BRAKES HARD to overtake another truck with as little as a 0.2 mph differential. Yes, 0.2 mph. It happens so often, I now calculate it just for grins as traffic stacks up behind, sometimes for MILES. More productive than cursing at the SSOAB inside your helmet. A 0.2mph delta is about 0.3 ft/sec. With an average 18 wheeler being 80 feet, that means 266 seconds for one of these... "professionals" of the road ... to pass another. Almost 5 full minutes. As you get near Tucson at 0530, or leaving Tucson at 1900, a 5 minute rolling blockade REALLY screws up the freeway. In all honesty, this is the worst I have seen. But 2-3 minutes is almost the norm, at least a dozen times per commute. Which means other folks get pissed, and start crowding the car (or motorcycle) in front, somehow ??? thinking that tightening up the spacing to 10 feet between vehicles will help. JHC.
    mikegc and WYO George like this.
  10. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep...that'd be my experience and observations as well.

Stay safe out there in the land of the Saguaro!
  11. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW the drivers aren't really to blame. It's the e-logs and corporate governors along with GPS real time monitoring. The trucks could easily do 90 and pass with ease but they can't because layer upon layer of micromanagement makes it impossible for the driver to make a living. That and the fact that 10000X more goods are shipped via truck than 30 years ago means we are stuck watching them inch around each other if we use the interstates.

Me, I only travel my local interstate (80) in my largest vehicle and as rarely as possible.
  12. ScubaTater

ScubaTater New rider, 6K miles.

Oddometer:
    My first ride last week, I was on some back roads headed to Lake Geneva. 2 lane road, car going slow in front of me. As soon as there was an opening I downshifted and punched it.

Just after I went back into my lane, about 400 yards up the road a lady ran across the road on foot. I braked, downshifted, braked again and held down the horn. I had about 30 minutes of riding expirence at this point.

I wear hi viz clothing with reflective material... like a freaking hi viz disco ball and I still feel like I'm invisible.
    atomicalex likes this.
  13. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to world of motorcycle riding.
  14. tbas3

tbas3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This one happened while driving my truck not a motorcycle. I was driving from Edmonton to Calgary on a 4 lane highway at night. I saw something large go by me in the grass area between the lanes I had no idea what it was. A split second later I was in the right lane and another one went by me in the left lane a few feet away. Then another crossed in front of me. What went by were large wooden spools of wire some where around 10' in diameter. A tractor trailer had lost its cargo. I was going over 100 km/hr and the spools were doing a similar speed going in the other direction. I'm sure the spools weighed a few tons each. Would have made a huge mess if I hit one. I was lucky that day. It all happened within a few seconds.
  15. The Haymaker

The Haymaker Testing Newtons Laws......

Oddometer:
    Not all of us, boss.

I can't speak for the asshats, but someday they'll start limiting the speedsame of bikes you'll understand passing at 65.2mph.
  16. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    You are invisible. Never forget that.
    You have no rights. Never forget that.
    If you get hit, it's your fault, because you are invisible. Never forget that.

Read Proficient Motorcycling.

Twice.

Then go back out and have the time of your life.
    YJake and markinthailand like this.
  17. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:

I agree with most of the video. I prefer being invisible. I ride faster then the traffic around me so I can pay more attention to what's going on ahead of and next to me, I still check my mirrors every couple of minutes or so but I'm more concerned with the person next to me or ahead (pulling out into traffic) I live in California where lane splitting is legal, I'm almost always traveling in the fast lane when I go to filter between lanes if I fit I'll go for it if not I wait for an opening, simple enough. But I've got 2 types that cause the most problems. 1. The people who are paying attention and will drive 3/4 of their car out of the lane onto the shoulder, driving half on and half off the pavement at 75mph is a little dangerous and they are throwing dirt and gravel at everyone behind them (I've replaced two visors in two years from catching rocks in the face, and I'm passing them quickly) it also makes it look like I'm driving like a jerk forcing cars off the road. 2. The people who aren't paying attention until my front tire is about even with their side mirror. They realize someone is right next to them and jerk the wheel. I've also had people block me on purpose but that's a whole other topic. Group 1 is a day to day annoyance while group 2 is more likely to get me killed. Both make me wish I was more invisible.
  18. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read that about once a year. And give copies to friends who are starting out riding.
  19. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Me too.
    It helps 'center' me each time I read it.
  20. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Come on...nobody has dodged anything weird lately?