What is the worst equipment that you've ever bought?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Jeffro115, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Jeffro115

Jeffro115 Redemption.

Oddometer:
    Likewise to my "best equipment" thread, what are the products that you've spent your hard earned money on that turned out to be junk?

AXO gear. I've bought a few pair of AXO boots. First pair were extremely uncomfortable outside of the parts dept. When ridig, I had to wear two pair of socks because there was an unflexible steel shank in the side (inside the leg) of the boot that would rub and push on my ankle bone. Very painful.

Second pair of AXO boots had a tough plastic around the ankle on the outside. They got a hole in them in the first week from the kickstarter, which punched through the side when my wet foot slipped off of it.

All of the AXO gloves that I bought didn't last very long either. The ends of the fingers would rip open after not too long. I never really knew this was a problem, until I bought some Sinisalo gloves, and a pair of MSR gloves, which outlasted the AXOs tenfold.
  2. Jeffro115

Jeffro115 Redemption.

Oddometer:
    Also, White Brothers stuff. I had an e-series exhaust on my XR650L. The bike was hardly ever ridden offroad, just used for commuting and such. Never dropped since the pipe was installed. Well, the aluminum was so soft on the thing that it separated and literally tore itself in half, falling off the bike. White Bros didn't want to help me at all. They said over email and over the phone that the pipe must have been abused, or not repacked regularly and that is why it failed.

That pipe was junk, and White Bros blew me off. I liked their stuff, but will never buy from them again.
  3. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Thor Ride pants. The zippers are pieces of SHIT.

Cycra ProBend handguards are not worth the $. Mine were triple clamp mounts and bent on the first minor fall. Bitch to bend back, too. For $50 I'd buy them, but not for the $100 retail price.
  4. XPatriot

XPatriot Charges have been dropped

Oddometer:
    Olympia gel gloves. Gel compressed/shifted away from pressure points, seems split, leather color ran in the space of three months. Apart from that, they were great.:huh
  5. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    None that I can think of. I do my homework and make sound buying decisions.

If it isn't available or manufactured to my level of expectation, I'll make it myself.
  6. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    I actually bought a Joe Rocket jacket off the internet without seeing it in person.

What a cheap piece of crap. I wore it three times trying to convince myself I could be o.k. with it. After I quit lying to myself I hung it up in the closet to never be worn again. Usually in situations like this I'll sell it on Ebay to get a few bucks back, but I couldn't even do that to someone else.
  7. 'Flagger

'Flagger ..this space for rent..

Oddometer:
    I'll jump on the 'I hate Joe Rocket' bandwagon.

Pair of mesh gloves on which the end-most finger pads of the clutch hand wore through in about 3 months.
  8. frewhl

frewhl daily rider

Oddometer:
    I have been pretty lucky.
    I did "lose" a helmet on a road trip once.I bought the only full face white helmet in town on monday.
    Piece of junk that it was,I stuck myself with it for a year.
  9. adaycj

adaycj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nada intercom. Not worth the cost of the batteries to power it up. Let the kids play with it, and even they said it worked poorly. Places like this forum help me make better decisions.
  10. yater

yater Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm usually pretty good about researching and buying good stuff. I always check with advrider if I have any doubts. Somehow, my coleman multi-fuel burner passed the advrider test. I bought one and took it on a few trips (TAT being one). The thing was an absolute turd. It chars everything in sight and burns a nasty yellow flame. I tried everything and just decided to chunk it. I'll go with a jetboil or little msr this time.
  11. jktpa

jktpa X-Troller

Oddometer:
    Chatterbox !Just doesn't work well.
  12. Team Dennis

Team Dennis Certified Troublemaker

Oddometer:
    Anything with Saeng in the name.:lol3
  13. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    Another vote for Joe Rocket. I had an Alter Ego jacket and I hated it. Somehow my wife still rides around in hers though. :puke1
  14. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess I don't have a Shoei head because the RF900 is only good for about 3 hours in comfort, after that, it's super painful around the ears. I scooped out a bit of styrofoam :eek1 from the forehead area and around the ears, to no avail around the ears.. I prefer my Schuberth helmets anyway.. Helmet fit lessons are only learned through the school of hard knocks. If fit nicely in the showroom and it was comfortable for the 10 minutes i kept it on.. but I wasn't going to sit in the showroom all day with the helmet on! :D
  15. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    The old style hi-tech BMW heated vest with the carbon fiber wires. It is great when it works but I have been through three power cords in two years at $45 each when I CAN FIND THEM.

The power cord to vest connector is apparently a proprietary design and it fails because it cannot withstand the torque generated at the connection in normal use; the cord forms a normal bend at the plug. If I could find a supplier for the connection I might be able to repair them when they broke.

Of course it didn't help that BMW had quality control problems with the cords sourced for the good old U.S.A.
  16. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's weird about the AXO stuff. I raced in their gear for years in the 90's and loved it.

I had a pair of Joe rocket overpants that were pretty lousy, not waterproof like they claimed and the zippers decentegrated after one season.
  17. mwells

mwells Umm...Is this thing on?

Oddometer:
    Joe Rocket gloves. They were unlined leather (or so they were advertised) with knuckle guards, etc. I thought they would be great. There is actually a gore-tex liner in them (not a bad thing) that is only sewn to the glove at the end of the gauntlet. When you pull the glove off, the liner backs out with your hand...takes 10-15 minutes to put them on next time trying to get the liners lined up with the shell. No wonder they were on closeout at NewEnough.
  18. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    I sure hope you don't wreck in that lid. Seems like that would lessen the integrity of the helmet. Good thing you've got a Scuberth! THOSE are neat helmets.
  19. Jeffro115

Jeffro115 Redemption.

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised to hear about the Rocket stuff. I have an armored Rocket jacket and I really like it for the most part. What really gets to me though, is when the snaps at the neck are snapped, the material is very rough and it rubs and irritates my adams apple. So I am unable to wear it with the neck closure snapped at all.

Overall I thought it was pretty good. Now I think I might stay away from JR stuff. Glad this thread is working out as I had hoped.
  20. Karl in NY

Karl in NY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The worst motorcycle product I've ever encountered was a headlight modulator made by Kriss. Also, the worst customer service (and avoidance of warranty claims, too) I've ever seen.

I believe the company has changed ownership since my bad ordeal...

But, why risk it when there are better companies offering similar products?