What is the worst equipment that you've ever bought?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Jeffro115, Sep 9, 2006.

1. kam

kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Roof Boxer helmet, uncomfortable, noisy and not really safe. It looked cool though.
  2. Leu

Leu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1. MSR whisperlite stove. Sooty thing has two speeds, off and scorch the food.
    2. Tourmaster waterproof winter gloves. Wicked water up the gauntlet, which is too big to fit inside jacket sleeves.
    3. REI 1/2 dome tent. Rainfly leaked first time used on a long wet trip.
    4. BMW system cases. Fit well and relatively inexpensive, but too small and flimsy for real touring use. Locks are poorly designed.

In most of these cases I should have spent more and got something better.
  3. mistercindy

mistercindy In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer:
    North Dallas 'burb in a box made of ticky tacky.
    I usually research stuff pretty well before I buy it. Particularly more expensive stuff. I did by by a Throttle Rocker that slips just enough to not work worth crap. But it only cost around $5 so I'm not all that bent out of shape about it.
  4. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    Some people need to haul more crap than others, but I wouldn't call them flimsy. The lid might seem flimsy with the case open by the case is rock solid with the lid clamped shut. They've been known to survive some pretty good crashes without damage. What's wrong with the locks?
  5. ldbandit76

ldbandit76 Life is good.

Oddometer:
    I, too, had a Chatterbox for a while. Used it three times, maybe, boxed it up and let it sit. Eventually sold it on eBay. :evil

My most disappointing purchase was a pair of Olympia winter gloves. They're all leather, with Gore-Tex. I paid $100 for them, which seemed like a lot at the time.

They didn't keep my hands warm for beans. Granted, I ride in sub-freezing weather, but I expected a little bit more out of that kind of money. Later, of course, I saw them on sale for $40. They are these:

http://www.newenough.com/olympia_model_4100gt_weatherking_extra2_gloves_page.htm

They are not very good. Not horrid bad, but probably not worth the money. Maybe I expect too much from a glove rated "as good as it gets."

I got some bar muffs and haven't looked back, though I ponder a pair of snowmobile gloves once in a while.

I guess I've done okay if that's the worst I can come up with. Most of my stuff does what I want it to.

Dave
  6. pastor passum

pastor passum Reverend Noob

Oddometer:
    A ridding buddy bought one last year at the BMW National Rally. His quit working after just a few uses also. Up side is it's got a lifetime warranty. He took it back this year to the same vendor, no sales slip, nothing. No questions asked. It was replaced. I gathered it wasn't the first time the vendor had replaced one! More Chinese junk?

Jim
  7. Cornbread Red

Cornbread Red Fart's dust

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I had two Throttle Rockers and when they were still on the bike, they slipped plenty.

Lost both when not looking.. Usless POS

However, buy a Crampbuster. Works well, stays on. Got mine from Barb at Alaskan Leather.

Chip
  8. Jet Jaguar

Jet Jaguar King of the poseurs

Oddometer:
    The worst things I have is a pair of rain booties and glove covers from Choko Design. I keep the booties at work so I can pull them on if I happen to get caught without my waterproof boots, and I got the glove covers because Aerositch's Triple Digit covers were out of stock for two months when I tried to order them.

Actually, they basically work as advertised. The main problem is that they have a very strong chemical rubber smell, and several months of use, cleaning, and airing out has done nothing to diminish it. I have to keep them separate from the rest of my gear because the smell permeates everything they're stored with. The glove covers have another issue: they stop at the wrist, which leaves a one-inch gap between them and my rain jacket. A gauntlet cuff would cover that up.
  9. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:

gads...my $7 HF digital gauge has held up for years in the top box.
  10. Waco

Oddometer:
    I bought mine several years ago. I don't know if they had a decent warranty at the time. I just threw it away and bought good old-fashioned Accugage with a dial, which still works perfectly. I later bought a second one to keep in the garage and they agree exactly.
  11. Waco

Oddometer:
    Maybe they fit some grips better than others. I used one my 97 Buell and later on my 1150GS with no slippage problems. I'm not crazy about it, though, because it makes panic stops awkward. I only use it on long freeway rides.
  12. Leu

Leu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shame on me for not checking them out more first.

First, the latching mechanism inside the cases takes up so much room it ends up being fouled up by what little contents you try to pack in them. The lids are hard to seal because they move around when you are trying to close them, unless you don't put much in them.

The key and locking mechanism should be on the sides where they are accessable. Located on top, they are covered up when you put a duffle in the passenger seat area, which many tourists do. The flourescent tab is not visible unless you are standing over top of it and tends not to stay out of the way when you are trying to close the handle. The key can move when you are trying to close the handle, causing the tab to interfere. I am not the only one to have bent the tabs trying to close the handles when the tabs are in the way.

Other than that they look great.....Oh, except they are easy to scuff up.

I would consider them good commuter bags, except my laptop really doesn't fit in them either. Wouldn't bother with them at all for touring.
  13. Wassallj

Wassallj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought a Slik helmet liner at a rally. Wore it about five minutes on the way home and the stitched edging on the front felt like it was digging a groove into my forehead. I took it off and rode the rest of the way home with a nasty headache. I never wore it again.
  14. Ken Fritz

Ken Fritz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly my experience with that goofy looking poorly made head sock. It cut a groove in my skull. Tossed it out.
  15. Waco

Oddometer:
    Do you mean one of these?

[​IMG]

Looks like you would need a helmet one size larger than normal.

I just use an Aerostitch wind triangle in cold weather.
  16. ilmostro

ilmostro Under Da Sea

Oddometer:
    Throttle Rocker with the velcro strap. I can't even give it away.

Kaoko throttle lock OTOH... :clap
  17. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine slipped, too. But, I got an old bicycle tire inner tube, cut a couple of sections off it and put them on the grip under the throttle rocker... doesn't slip any more. The tube sections eventually split so I just add another each year. Being an old guy, I'll be dead before I work my way through the entire bicycle inner tube.
  18. DirtDOG

DirtDOG Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer:
    HT overpants, constant zipper problems, finally gave up.

Chatterbox, In a year the units were replaced twice, finally just gave the things away.
  19. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    I tried to dial in a chatterbox for a year or so. Complete crap. I bought a pair of high end ($140) Spidi gloves once that failed in the palm after less then 3 months. The dealer gave me my money back but Spidi stiffed them and insisted that I must have crashed in them. Shit company, shit product. I also usually do my homework and other than those 2 purchases, I have never had another major problem. :thumb
  20. M2

M2 where 2 ride today?

Oddometer:
    Another JR product. Boots were advertised as waterprof. NOT. Donated them to Goodwill.