What is the worst equipment that you've ever bought?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Jeffro115, Sep 9, 2006.

1. FlowBee

FlowBee Just me.

Oddometer:
    Gustaffson windscreens (x2): one for Yamaha, one for Guzzi. (fool me once... :baldy )

Neither fit anywhere NEAR correctly, even though I still had to drill my own holes. They were INCHES off in the pattern, and the plastics are crap acrylic. POS product, POS company, IMHO.
  2. Slope'r

Slope'r Retired

Oddometer:
  3. chaserkeywest

chaserkeywest Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HJC Symax ...broke plastic chin piece lock on a drop from tank to side walk, very comfortable though!

Roof "Boxer" ...Plastic chin snap straps broke both sides in under 4 months, rest of helmet is built tuff but ,for very round heads.
  4. ilmostro

ilmostro Under Da Sea

Oddometer:

WOW! A 500# motorcycle falling on plastic cases on a gravel road and they broke?!? :huh

They really are junk!

:rolleyes
  5. cam_roger

cam_roger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I threw away my pos blow rocket overpants (ballistic something or other???) earlier this summer. I had them two years, I do not have one good thing to say about them. I was really looking at the HT overpants as a replacement, now maybe not...

I was also looking at getting the nolan N102, what don't you like about the nolans? Quality issues, how it works or something more subjective like how it fits your head? I currently have a HJC cl max which doesn't vent well but does fit quite comfortably.

As far as Joe Rocket goes, I've had a couple of smaller things which I liked which is why I purchased the overpants.

As a guy with long arms I am limited on what jackets I can buy (tall sizes) so I've only had a couple of textile jackets, a firstgear Kiliminjaro and currently use a tourmaster cortech which I like better than the kili. No complaints about the kiliminjaro jacket really, just not as comfortable as the cortech for me. I'd still be wearing the kili if I didn't burn a big hole in it a year and a half ago.
  6. Slope'r

Slope'r Retired

Oddometer:
    Uh huh...
    My fully loaded PD fell on my Zega's on this same stretch with hardly a scratch...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Jesse's bags would have been OK<o:p></o:p>
    Caribou bags would have been OK<o:p></o:p>
    Happy trail bags would have been OK<o:p></o:p>
    Yup, those thin plastic BMW bags are pieces of shit .<o:p></o:p>
    Might be OK for a strictly street bike but not for a GS.<o:p></o:p>
    Which is what their marketed for! :ddog <o:p></o:p>
  7. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:

I've had both a Nolan N100 and a Symax. Very differently shaped, so if the HJC fits you I'd bet the Nolan won't.

I love my Symax. The Nolan fit me like a vise. My wife loves her Nolan. Go figure.
  8. BykBoy

BykBoy Meshuganeh Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

Over priced and poor quality. The volume botton didn't last long and the entire thing got on the fritz after about 2 months...
  9. cam_roger

cam_roger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've tried on the N102 and it does seem to fit me nicely.

On my HJC I did have to modify spongy foam a bit, expecially the cheek pads.

I've had to modify most of the helmets I've owned a little bit, I guess I have a weird head or something. So as long as it feels comfortable in the store I know I can make it fit real nice long term.

Some of the things I like about the Nolan N102 are the metal latch, the little visor, and it looks like it should vent better than my HJC.

Is any of this true?

Thanks for the info!
  10. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ditto that. Got one for my TDM, left a gap at the bottom in order to get it to even bolt up. Left out they are overpriced.
  11. Ergo

Ergo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread! :freaky

1. Arai Quantum/f helmet. New. Kocinski graphics. $600.
    - Face shields are order only, pricey, and a SOB to put on/change.
    - The snap ons to secure the visor are noisy as hell.
    - Even with ear plugs it's a noisy helmet.
    - Entire damn thing is glued together! :puke1
    - Base glued on helmet strip fell off. Tape (see pic).
    - Chin wind guard came off IN MY HAND at 70mph! :eek1
    - Chin vent popped off (while sitting still) in traffic at a light! :huh

There's more, but you get the idea. Never again will I buy an overpriced Arai! Replaced it with a new Bell Sprint Wicked which is a BIG step up in assembly quality at $200! :rofl

2. Joe Rocket Ballistic Waterproof gloves. $40
    - They aren't waterproof. Replaced 1st set under warranty!
    - They aren't Ballistic. Comfy though! :rofl
    - Nuff said.
  12. GSWayne

GSWayne Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    jesse bag mounts,not the bags,the mounts!
  14. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've purchased a bunch of stinkers in my time, and most of it from JC Whitney. But I've also purchased lots of good stuff from them... I know it's not really the question asked, but I do have a webpage where I list some of my previous purchases and what I think of them.

http://cxboard.netfirms.com/jcw

If that can help anyone, great! :)

Charles.
  15. skwidd

skwidd where does this lead?

Oddometer:

Cortech lite jacket-piece of crap and the zipper pulls wore through and fell off,velcro came off the neck tab within 2 months.

Early Cortech 1 piece suit-absolute garbage and leaked like an old tin trash can.
  16. jeffs900s

jeffs900s Prophet of Doom

Oddometer:
  17. willbkari2

willbkari2 No Adventure to big!

Oddometer:
    We bought two pairs of this BMW insulwear stuff and the stitching starting coming out of it with a month or two. Took it back to the dealer and theys says, well, we havent seen that before. We can send it in for you and see what happens.Of course you can I says. Product works well, just poorly sewn or designed.

That brings me to the BMW winter gloves. Waterproof my ass. The cotton type liner inside acts like a wick. We have tried everything to keep our hands dry in these gloves to no avail. Same story when we took them back.

Like most, dont mind paying more than the norm for a quality product, but hate getting the shaft for shit-poor quality stuff either.

And that brings to mind.........
  18. PlasticSun

PlasticSun Long Live The Supertanker

Oddometer:
    Nelson Rigg Motorcycle 1/2 cover.

I got this since it wouldn't lay on the cylinder heads and would still provide some coverage. After 3 uses it had tears in it. By the end of the second week I had 4 yards of duct tape holding it together. Now I don't even bother.
  19. unaweep

unaweep Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer:
    Andiamo padded motorcycle shorts. What CRAP! They are not lycra, but a stretchy piece of cotton. The padding is nothing more than a piece of 1/2 inch thick styrafoam! Worthless.
  20. canpile

canpile Trail User

Oddometer:
    I purchased a pair of Thor boots back in 2000 that lasted about 5 rides before the soles began to seperate!