What is the worst equipment that you've ever bought?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Jeffro115, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Jonnylotto

Jonnylotto Zipper Club with Clusters

Oddometer:
    If you haven't yet, you might want to drop AnnieGS a note about your collar. I think she'd be able to sew a new liner inside the collar.
  2. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    any lightweight bike cover to save money. :bluduh Usually last me 4-6 mos, tops, before they UV themselves to death and shred. I've got a super-heavy Guardian one I've had for years with very little wear. Verdict: ixnay on the cheapcoversay. Took me two of 'em to learn my lesson.

NOJ quiet rider is a close second.
  3. jehu

jehu ∩HƏſ Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been disappointed in my last 2 Baja Designs purchases. The LED tail light filled with water being splashed off the rear tire (not submerged) and quit working in about 4 hours. The high/low/off headlight/horn/kill switch vibrated so much from the get go that the head light blinked irregularly then quit all together. Even taping it in one position doesn't cure the problem.
  4. DragonRider1

DragonRider1 East TN Adventurer!

Oddometer:
    Knoxville,TN next to Deal's Gap & Cherohala Skyway
    Hmm.. I had the 5-mile deal and it worked on a GPS distance of 7 miles once when I lived in nice flat Tampa. It also worked well up here at Deal's Gap when there was reasonable distance. No problems, save for the cat eating one of the wires. I need to replace it. This is the pre-noise filter design. I also had an original set of Chatterboxes and those were junk. Now on the Autocom's and while $$$ are worth it!!!

As for what product I have bought that was total junk? Would a '99 KLR 650 fall into that or is that another category? I tend to research things pretty well before buying. About the only problem I have had from any gear is my current set of fieldsheer overpants which dumped the right pocket zipper on the 2nd day of a 4,500 trip (2nd time ever wearing it). Unfortunately, the shop I bought it from went under just after I got it. :(

*I* accidently screwed up a zipper on a set of AGV Sport II leathers and called to ask how to get it fixed. Three days later there was a new set on the doorstep with return instructions for the bad pants. No questions, just 'here ya go' and those were actually bought on close-out!! THAT is customer Service!!!
  5. DragonRider1

Oddometer:
    I've seen a totally loaded down VFR run a good 75' after low siding, then high siding onto a set of Givi's. The bags ended up looking like crap, but were STILL intact and STILL waterpoof. The best part? Aside from the bags and his handlebar ends/mirror nothing touched the plastic. The bags took the entire blow!

For some odd reason I got those same set of bags/mounts on my '98 VFR... :)
  6. DragonRider1

Oddometer:
    Took me only 6 years to wear out my NOJ Quiet Rider (Deluxe) and I replaced it a year ago with the new winter version. It was worth picking up one for my wife as well. I have no complaints with it and it does a great job for me even if a bit overpriced for what it is. They also make the Autocom system work a LOT better, keep the neck from being sandblasted, etc. Even in the summer they are not too hot. Am I just getting seriously lucky with some of these parts? Anyone looking to throw out their Chatterboxes send 'em my way! (I'm an ITT student and if I can figure out what's failing I might have a nice lucrative under the table career fixing bike gadgets!) :)
    :evil
  7. paochow

paochow Bye bye desert

Oddometer:
    I've been very pleased with my Joe Rocket Gloves, I have a set of Speedmasters that I've used on and off road since 2001, and they are finally in need of replacement.

My Fox Pawtectors were a total waste of money, approx ten rides and the what little protection they had is falling off and holes have developed in most of the finger tips. $22 was cheap, but the Joe Rocket mesh gloves I bought from newenough for $16 are much better made and offer great protection.
  8. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heat-Troller: Both lasted 2 or 3 rides... and then died.. :(:
  9. eteller

eteller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1. KBC fORCE RR helmet, vents fell off within a week, crazy glued them back on.

2. MDS Storm helmet, chin strap position caused a gag reflex, almost puked in it
  10. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    why would you buy something called "Joe Rocket" ? :lol3
  11. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:

:poser
  12. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    A pair of Olympia "rain gauntlets". They might be fine while you're riding across the desert, but if your hands are the least bit damp you can't get your fingers into the gloves. Had to dig out a pair of silk glove liners to put on first so I could get my hands into the gauntlets.
    Second worst: Two pair of Joe Rocket gloves, different models. The seams in the fingertips are on the inside, so they dug into the ends of my fingers, sort of a mild form of "toothpick under the fingernail" torture.
  13. PackRat

PackRat Huey Guns Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 .... works only below 35 mph and within 35 feet of each other! :puke1

:1drink
  14. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    The Gerbing one? :ear

That was going to be my bitch. I had the electronic one they used to make in something like a 2x2 box and it died. Their reps at the motorcycle show were nice enough to swap it--no questions asked--for the newer, smaller one. That one died too.

Gerbing makes awesome clothing but their heat-troller sucks. I just use the thumb-switch now.

Oh yeah:

Corbin leather seat for my 1993 ZX11. It lasted about four rides before the leather piping split at the front (right where you legs pull on it when you stop and put your feet down). A brand new seat and it looked like hell within a month.
    Their response? Normal wear. :fyyff
  15. space

space a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer:
    FogCity inserts. They don't fog. But they do collect scratches, dirt, fingerprints, etc., etc., all the while badly distorting headlights and steetlights at night. Double images, lines coming out from light sources, blurring ... if I wanted that, I'd drop acid before riding.
  16. krusty

krusty Banned

Oddometer:
    Widder electric pant inserts (heated chaps)
    Had one set, that crapped out so I bought another set a year later.
    The connectors inside the pants SUCK! They break free of the connections between the coil wires and the power cables.
    PLUS...
    the connectors continuously pull free from the wiring and on a cold night the last thing you want to do is muck around with wiring in the dark while your fingers are freezing off. GARBAGE
    The warrantee guy is an arrogant son of a bitch... won't listen to his customers, and the Canadian rep in Calgary isn't any friendlier.
    Total jerk.
    Don't buy this stuff, it sucks...
  17. Verndog

Verndog Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great thread...,More , more more!!!!!
  18. 4uuCtV

4uuCtV ...

Oddometer:
    HJC balaclava, universal fit. If you like them tight like socks, knock yourself out.
  19. eyedragaknee

eyedragaknee McGuyver

Oddometer:
    Multistrada
  20. SFmax

SFmax Guest

-Broken zippers
    -Frayed lining
    -Non existent water proofing
    -Terrible name requires meticulous removal of patches
    -bulky uncomfortable armor
    -collar rubs me raw on long rides

Makes me look like a road warrior without the patches so that was the only good thing. I got it for free. Otherwise I would be writing complaint letters.

Bought a "ReVit" and realized what a good jacket actually feels like. Worth every penny and keeps me dry in a hurricane.