What is the worst equipment that you've ever bought?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Jeffro115, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Motociclista

Motociclista Alea iacta est

Oddometer:
    At least you spell it right ...
  2. lightsorce

lightsorce Inner Banks Swamp Rider

Oddometer:
    Its a tossup: 3/4 Fulmer helmet ( Noisy/Fragile flipup visor mechanics)
    Chen-shin tubes (So thin its hard not to gig with tire iron)
    :kboom
  3. caffeine

caffeine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nolan x-1002 flip up...i was happy with it at first..and i love the fit....but the latching mechanisms suck ass and removing the visor to insert the anti-fog thing really is a feat best left for a mechanical engineer.
  4. AKStrom

AKStrom Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yah, -1 to the Joe Rocket textile stuff. I had a very minor get-off at about 15mph on a rough street. JR Revolution pants failed instantly, tearing away the armor at the knee and letting my right knee take the full un-obstructed impact of the asphalt.

I replaced the crappy Revolution pants with the JR Blaster leather sport pants. I've had 4 years of daily commuting w/o any problems tho. I had a black ice slide in 12/05 without no adverse effects to me or the pants. :thumb

I had one of the early set of the HJC Symax helmets. It failed after 3 months of commuting, with the pivots and bolts detaching from the foam. They supposedly "repaired" the first one I sent them (took them 3 weeks) which failed again within 5 days.

I have a new Symax whose pivot & retension system works much better, but the blasted things leaks so much that I won't ride with it if there's ANY clouds in the sky at all.
  5. Nitzo

Nitzo Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1, +1, Vega helmets also
  6. yelostn78

yelostn78 Have GS will Travel

Oddometer:
    I have to say I loved my stich, I know there are many people who do. But I do agree that it does suck to shell out 800 smakers for a somewhat water-resistant suit. I was also disapointed by the snaps always wearing out. My brother had a stich save his life when he got hit by a car, He got up without a scratch after getting spread eagled on the interstate by a lady driving a pick not paying attention. Needless to say the suit needed some work but my brother was spotless- that is except for his drawers:lol3
  7. MoonRock

MoonRock High Energy Atomic Nuclei

Oddometer:
    Joe Rocket GPX gloves. They are stitched poorly and wont allow you to ride with two fingers on the brake lever
  8. bone

bone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really???

Why?
  9. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gerbing electric jacket and HAIX boots. Both are outstanding.
  10. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    K1200 LT. Not that the bike was bad, just the wrong bike for me. And it only took me 2 years/25,000 miles to figure that out :rofl

// marc
  11. iridefar

iridefar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. iridefar

iridefar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to like the Guardian, but a couple of weeks ago I noticed my latest one had separated at the seam around the windshield. Then it just pretty much fell apart. The thing was less than a year old. I was very suprised because they are not cheap and I have had luck with them in the past.
  13. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
    Joe Rocket jackets(2) neither fit right. Tiny neck hole huge chest (who are these made for?). Tour Master to the rescue!

Corbin seat. (I thought leather would hold up longer) Sargent next time.

Two Brothers Exhaust. (Who else sells pipes along with a tube of gasket compound to TRY to stop the leaks?) M4 was light years better.

Ocelot Luggage. (Try double stiching seams sometime!) RKA All the way!

RAM mounts. (Plastic bar mounts?!) DIY

Lockhart stands. (They were starting to rust when I got them) Can you say Pit Bull?

Givi racks. (Some muscle required, powdercoat a bit thin)

Cheap gloves. (Gloves take a beating, I'll learn one of these days) Held or similar soon.
  14. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:
    Galfer Green brake pads. They squeal like a pig, and they feels like crap in the wet. Worst pads I've had on any vehicle. The factory Brembo pads were far superior.
  15. Leu

Leu Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You probably have the later, improved version. The earlier one I have was notorious for not being able to simmer. And no, it is not leaking. I have just been too frugal to replace it!
  16. Randall

Randall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Chatter box communication system is probably the biggest waste
    of my money spent on a bike accessory! Piece of crap!!!
  17. slideways

slideways EspaƱa

Oddometer:
    +1

Total shite product. I do not see how these people stay in buisness?
  18. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:
    +1 another unhappy customer

owning a Chatterbox convinced me that I needed to buy an Autocom :wink:
  19. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fieldsheer perforated leather suit - "Airspeed".

Crashed (low speed, lowside) on a bad sand wash and the suit, both top and bottom, split its seams some 6-10 inches long... and I am THIN :huh.

Fuggin P.O.S.
  20. crevans

crevans Plays in Traffic

Oddometer:
    Yet another check against JR textile gear. I had a Phoenix jacket where the zipper actually came unstitched from the jacket. Ridiculous. OTOH, my leather JR Velocity jacket has withstood one crash on pavement at ~35mph and one on gravel at ~45mph and only has extremely minor scuffing, all while keeping me completely unscathed. I don't wear it anymore simply because I've lost weight and it doesn't fit anymore. It's also very hot in the summer. Conclusion: their leather is decent, avoid the textile.

Olympia summer weight gel gloves. I have an inch long scar on my index finger from where they completely failed to provide any protection whatsoever. I think they got scared before they contacted the concrete and decided to split their seams to save themselves at the expense of my skin.

HJC AC12 helmet. I know alot of you swear by these, but within a week of owning mine, the glue gave up on one of the top vents and the fourth time I swapped the clear visor for the tinted, the plastic clamp\hook dealie that holds the visor on the left side decided it had had enough. So had I. I won't be switching back from Arai this time.

Frank Thomas Aqua something or other jacket. Decent stitching and build quality, horrible materials. The fit was also terrible and the cheap wannabe cordura would flap in the wind like a hummingbird on a sugar high. The armor seems decent enough though, and it's certainly warm and waterproof.

Held "Breeze" summer gloves. They were really nice for about a week. After that the stitching started coming apart. The unlined black leather would bleed into your hands with just mild sweating, and if it so much as drizzled, you'd swear you were polishing boots with your bare hands all day. Older Held gloves, back when they were still made in Germany are great. Avoid the new ones (made in Pakistan) like the plague. Quality has gone in the toilet.