What is the worst equipment that you've ever bought?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Jeffro115, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    Them crappy lil chinesey MotoBoss (and other) turn signals you by from MAW, Cycle Gear, and others.
    Made of chintzy plastic, screws fall out, socket plugs are made of recycled tin cans...total crap, but boy do they look...like crap...:puke1

I must say I searched for "Gustaffson" and came up with this thread...I was thinking of buying a screen for the airhead GS...now I'm a-scared...
  2. Sparkdaddy

Sparkdaddy aventurero

Oddometer:
    After skimming this thread it made me wonder how much of this crap was made in China only to have a "Cool" American marketing name on it?

One of the prices you pay for cheap imports.

Now where is that 20 page thread on the Walmart (Chinamart) KLR seat cover?:rofl
  3. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...i hear that good buddy!:norton
  4. frankietheyankee

frankietheyankee NJ Geezer

Oddometer:
    I bought some bad acid once. The next blot worked great though.
  5. Dirtgeek

Dirtgeek Guest

this wasn't a quality issue.....a half helmet!

al
  6. SteelJM1

SteelJM1 Former Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer:
    Humm. My 'old leather jacket got ruined from mold, and i figured i need some new gear with the new SV. Does anyone have any experience with the Icon Strongarm jacket and Hooligan pants? Also their 'field armor' knee/shin and elbow pads? I hate the thought of looking like a goofy wannabe racer with bright blue and white leathers and plastic crap all over me, which is why I like the Icon gear, where i can look normal and still have protection UNDERNEATH the normal looking jeans and jacket.
  7. psst

psst n00b ^ 2

Oddometer:
    And yet another here - JR winter gloves (Radian 2.0) lasted 3 months before they started falling apart - also ill fitting; and soft saddlebags with utterly useless zips and unravelling seams stitching. Bought the gloves because they were cheap; bought the bags because they were what was available. Steering clear ever more.
  8. Firedawg450

Firedawg450 Why did I wait??

Oddometer:
    :puke1 The modulator worked great - for a month. Then it crapped out mid-ride and I had to keep going under circumstances that were extremely hazardous. Basically, thanks to the modulator no one behind me could figure out if I was stopping, turning or which direction I might possibly go. After checking all connections the fault was definitely with the modulator. So I start reading the return information and holy-crap!!! I've never seen such a blatant attempt to intimidate a customer. According to them, it is surely God himself is in charge of their product quality so any problem with the unit has to be your fault. If you dare send a product back and they find nothing wrong with it (of course they won't!) they will charge you a ridiculous service fee and if they replace it they will hit you with a restocking fee .What a ridiculous rip-off. Do they care at all what their reputation is? Don't buy from them!!!:puke1
  9. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Chatterbox, the old style ones anyways. Never could get it to work at all.
    Joe Rocket mesh. Felt like a rag. Looked like crap as well. Thank goodness I paid almost zip for it.
    All of this was pre-web research for me.
    Have had numerous riding buddies go Joe Rocket and it is still crap. Wet, zippers failing.....stupid name. Now they have all gone Stich or BMW and seem happy.
  10. mfaoro

mfaoro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to add to the No Joe Rocket bandwagon. Last year I bought a pair of their overpants.

The zippers on the pockets and the fly lasted < 3 months of occasional riding.

The waist elastic was gone before one season was over.

They have been waterproof for the most part...but they dont breathe at all and I get wet from the inside.

My Fieldsheer jacket is showing wear after one season.

Love my Dianese jacket and gloves. My held winter gloves rock.

Michael
  11. Calibre

Calibre Canadian, eh.

Oddometer:
    :nah Another vote for no JR gear. I bought a pair of their "waterproof" gloves for my first big dual-sport group ride a few years ago, and they were soaked through before we even got off the highway and onto the fun part of the ride. I ended up riding for 6 more hours with waterlogged hands. Pure suckage. My Teknic Thunder gloves haven't let me down since.
  12. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    Teknic Waterproof Boots (don't remember specific model): I bought them from New Enough about 5 years ago. When I rode up through Oregon in a frog strangler I found they were waterproof alright - once they let the water in they never let it out. NewEnough did let me return them though for a store credit.

Cortech DSX Denim Pants: Felt naked in my Draggin' Jeans and didn't feel like wearing armor underneath them. So I purchased a pair of these since they have CE knee armor. WORST PRUCHASE EVER. Yeah, I'm a tall skinny FF but talk about BAGGY. I ordered size 32 waist. I measured the circumference of the thighs and it came out at about 34". I could fit two of my legs in one of these pant legs. And there's no chance in hell the knee armor would stay in place in something that baggy. I emailed Tourmaster and they more or less blew me off. I have a Cortech jacket that I really like though. In the end I gave up and ponied up for some Motoport Kevlar Jeans.
  13. Jac-O

Jac-O Nice place to visit...

Oddometer:
  14. LowAdvRider

LowAdvRider Why aren't we Riding?

Oddometer:
    Let me pile on against Joe Rocket. I bought two jackets. One for me and one for my wife. Neither made it through one riding season before seams let go. The cloth shredded. So, being the cheap person that I am, I sewed them up.

Later that year I had a minor get off due to oil in an intersection. Maybe 5mph. Fell on my left side. Thought nothing of it. Got to my buddies house only to find that the sleeve was no longer connected to the main body of the jacket. Wow! Absolute crap.

You may like what you look like in your jacket. It may even keep you warm. But if it can't take a minor get off without destroying itself, get something better.

I now buy First Gear or Hein Gerick. May be older models from New Enough or Motorcycle closeouts, but I don't fear a crash in my gear any more.
  15. Mille44

Mille44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okay, I hate to do this but I think others should know about Hot Grips products, their customer service and the longevity of their products. As you can tell I am NOT very happy about how I was handled as a customer and wanted to let you guys know about it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    In April/ May of 2007 I bought a pair of Hot Grips before I boarded the Tiger for a 24 hour journey called the Iron Butt Association Saddle Sore 1000. My goal was to be as comfortable as possible while riding throughout a <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on">California</st1:State> and <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Nevada</st1:place></st1:State> springtime night. Needless to say I was very happy to have them at the time. <o:p></o:p>
    Anyway, less than one year later and 8000 miles on the Tiger, I noticed substantial wear on the left grip to where the wire element is exposed. I assumed that this must be a manufacture defect to only last 8000 miles, and the funny thing is that the right grip had/ has no wear whatsoever. I contacted Jim from Hot Grips (www.hotgrips.com) and he agreed that it was unusual wear and if I sent him $8.00 for S&H he would replace the grip. <o:p></o:p>
    Now here is the kicker, I replaced the left Hot Grips in May 2008 and in August already it is showing serious signs of having the same problematic wear. After 4 months of riding the Hot Grips were about to fail again. I emailed Jim back and he said that it must be my riding style or the type of gloves that I wear that is wearing out the grips so fast. I sent him pictures of the two types of riding gloves that I wear, a pair or waterproof Racing gloves and a pair of Alpine Stars for the summer; neither of which are abrasive. Jim said to return the Hot Grips to him for replacement. I informed him that I did not think that was the answer to my problem and hated to replace another grip on the Tiger, which actually takes a fair amount of time because you have to actually cut them off of the handlebars; let alone rewiring the new grips to the bike.

Needless to say itÂ’s a pain in the ass to do every 4- 5 months.

I notified Jim 4 months after installing the new grip of the existence of the same wear pattern. Its taken him two months to say [email protected]#$- OFF!

16. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired

Oddometer:
    A electric jacket liner that fit like crap, and worked equally as well. Sent it back to the factory at my expense, only to get told it was "normal".

Sold it for a song.
    Can't remember the name. I think lots of others folks like them. I didn't.