What is up with the 1250 GS suspension?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by WildAnCrazymtl, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Sharkbyte

Sharkbyte Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This has been an interesting thread... I have a 1250 GSA and weigh 235 lbs. I agree with Ironsinker in that there is a big difference on my bike between Road and Dynamic. I have left my bike in Dynamic practically since I bought it. So yesterday I changed it to Road and noticed a significant difference. In fact I did not like it as much as I felt like I was not getting enough feedback from the road and the bike handling. However, I could see the benefit of using it on long highway runs etc. and have to remember to change to Road in those instances. I also suggest you ride a different GS just to be sure it was not the particular bike you were riding.
    Bike Guy and Coach Vader like this.
  2. NoiZboy

NoiZboy Dirt to Track and Back Again

Oddometer:
    I do think the stock suspension is under sprung for consistently high loads - especially regular, 2-up riding. Like some others have said, I also don't like a plush, Goldwing-like ride - I feel like I'm not getting enough back from the road to know what's happening - but I can certainly understand the appeal, especially 2-up.

My guess is the difference is less about quality and more about a combination of designed load capacity and engineering decisions about the type of ride being offered. I wonder how the Triumph's ride would compare with an RT or K1600GT, which are more intended for chewing up gobs of tarmac two up.
  3. ironsinker

ironsinker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I forgot to add that this is my first bike made for offroading which I do not do. However, I have been on some dirt/gravel roads. Most motorcycles feel a little sketchy on gravel. I noticed in Dynamic and Road mode the GS feels a little sketchy too even with the adventure tires. When I switched over to Enduro mode all the sketchiness went away. I felt like I didn't even need to slow down in fact. So I don't know if it's just me or if Enduro mode does something special with the suspension, but my first experience with the GS on dirt/gravel made me realize why this bike is so good. I felt like I had discovered something, an ahh haa moment! I know it sounds dumb, but that's when I really started to understand what this bike is about if that makes sense. Although, I still don't take my bike offroad if I can help it LOL!!
    Sharkbyte likes this.
  4. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish every motorcycle dealer offered a spec program. You tell them your weight and they spec the springs to you. Would save us GS owners a lot of costs to swap springs on a brand new bike.
  5. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMW used to offer this option on the car side, though it was hardly ever used. The shocks didn't change, but there was a chart of spring substitutes based upon expected carrying load.

As with much, accountants did away with that choice. In fairness, and considering the labor rate, the choice was frequently made to just go straight to aftermarket set ups.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I get the why but this program Beta offers has ruined me quite a bit - https://betausa.com/byob-1/ having the beta arrive with everything already installed at a discounted rate is pretty nice. Mostly I like the option of setting spring rate, adding a large fuel tank, risers and aftermarket seat.
  7. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting a la carte menu. Surely makes sense for a smaller, more nimble company that is differentiating itself with customer service. Tesla may be similar, but I really don't know. That's just not BMW's thing, at least not here in the U.S.

I've seen them offer somewhat bespoke ordering for cars, mostly in Euro but also here in the U.S. for those patient enough to wait, but it's not really their focus. Volume is their game for this century.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  8. Sharkbyte

Sharkbyte Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow that is cool! I just started building a bike... They have everything! I am not too familiar with Beta's but this sure is a nice way to build a bike!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    ...and a per-part discount because they’ll keep the OEM Un-used bit and pass the savings on to you. Labor seem to be included.
  10. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    OP

buy the triumph
  11. Ryan42

Ryan42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Didn't read all the posts. I come from a harley street glide with Ohlins suspension. So great suspension for a harley. One reason I switched to this 1250 is because the suspension felt so good. I just rode 4k miles all street. I am 5'8 and 150lb. The suspension in ROAD mode is great and soft and i love it. In dynamic it tightens it up great for the canyons. In the harley world we would always say to the guys asking about suspension that if they thought it was good enough then enjoy saving the money and not upgrading as I had put thousands into suspension in mine. This bike I haven't touched and feel its great for me so far. If it's lacking for you then time to upgrade it.
  12. deep6blue

deep6blue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just went from a 2017 Triumph tiger explorer 1200 to a 2019 r1250gs HP low. The suspension it totally different. The Triumph was better is most situations. However, there are trade offs between any bike.

I’m liking the bmw better for many other reasons.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  13. sizzlingbadger

sizzlingbadger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dynamic ESA is semi active. I use the Auto and Road setting commuting and Dynamic when out on the back roads. I have an '18 GS and find the suspension very good, I ride solo most of the time and weigh ~190 in my gear.

WP is up with there with some of the best suspension manufacturers and my experience with it on KTM's has been very positive. I wouldn't expect one to be much better than the other and in my experience they both work well.
  14. getlucky

getlucky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes whats up with the 1250 suspension ? For me «road» is to soft. Dynamic is to hard except on very flat roads. And I dont like the auto stuff. Sometimes in Road the suspension get very soft. Like all damping is gone.

Dynamic is always hard and works well under right circumstances.

I miss my 17 gsa on this matter. Why cant BMW allow us to choose some more individual manual settings.. 3-4 levels of stifness
    AdamChandler likes this.
  15. GeoAggie

GeoAggie Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I find the various settings on my 1250GS HP remarkably different. For a GS model, you might consider the HP or the GSA for stiffer springs.
  16. Ryan42

Ryan42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wait the HP and GSA have diff suspension as in stiffness??
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. GeoAggie

GeoAggie Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My understanding is the regular GS HP (with the Sport suspension) has the GSA suspension with higher height and stiffness . . . at least that's what I was told by the dealer. Also, I'm not aware of BMW US selling the HP model without the Sport suspension.
  18. Ryan42

Ryan42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shittt at 5”8 I’m on my tip toes basically unless I shift it to one side and that’s on the regular gs glad I didn’t get the higher suspension
  19. GSbyname

GSbyname Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In Oz the R1250GS HP is standard height GS suspension, with road-focussed tyres. A GS with Sports (GSA) suspension is too high for me, & here comes with stiffer springs than standard GS & knobbies.
  20. Coach Vader

Coach Vader Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question, you said it was choppy above 70 due to tires. I can understand that, how is the wind buffeting and any vibration in steering? I'm
    Poking to move to a GS from an RT. But I commute a lot.

Thanks