What is up with the 1250 GS suspension?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by WildAnCrazymtl, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Ryan42

Ryan42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let me answer for myself and not him. I have the anakee tires which came with the bike and it is not choppy at all. Its smooth af. You do get tire wine when going into a turn but meh. I get hardly any buffeting compared to my HD street glide which was the worst ever and I had to do a lot of stuff to get rid of it. Steering feels stable unless passing big trucks and wind then its kinda sketchy for me but maybe because I only weight 150.
    Coach Vader likes this.
  2. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    An upgraded steering stabilizer might mitigate that truck passing feel.
    But it’s normal on a GS.
    On an RT probably a lot smoother in that situation.
    Coach Vader likes this.
  3. Ryan42

Ryan42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah not worth the money to me yet. I just hold on tight and blow around lol. I want to get auxiliary lights!
    Coach Vader likes this.
  4. ClosetCaseNerd

ClosetCaseNerd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth, as a frame of reference I bought the BMW because I was blown away by the suspension. I have an '18 Rallye (GSA suspension). I've never ridden the Tiger, it's possible it's just that damn good. BUT - compared to everything else, my Ducati's included on Ohlins, the GS ESA is pretty damn good. I don't want to ride a Tiger if it IS that much better, can't afford to switch ;)
  5. Two Tigers

Two Tigers Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Anyone know does the enduro mode make it softer or more compliant than road mode? And can you use the enduro pro plug to keep it in enduro if this is the softest / compliant ride, and use the road or dynamic power mode??
  6. Jontaff

Jontaff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you check the tire pressures?
    The new GS suspension self calibrates from time to time so it would be interesteding to see the settings prior to the test ride.
    My new GS is set up as Auto and on dynamic which suits my riding style.

Perhaps the bike needed re=-calibrating.
  7. huck629

huck629 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like mine, it suspends stuff. My motor hasn't touched the ground yet.
    Juan Loboe and NorthIdaho800gsa like this.
  8. JurgenB

JurgenB daily rider

Oddometer:
    I really like that idea. Given the manufacturing process as well as the capabilities of modern electronic controls, it might actually be an idea BMW could consider: Offer, say, five or six different spring sets and damping configurations that go along with the custom order of your bike. Not any more complicated than custom ordering your paint, spoke wheels, lowered seats and other options.
  9. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    The logistics of shipping the correct bike over from Germany, dealer trades, priorities and the cost of labor and cost of the shock would be prohibitive. It is not like a low seat that the sales guy can change for you. Shop rate of over 100 an hour in most places, and does every dealer have a shock press?

Rod
    AdamChandler likes this.
  10. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    ^^^this^^^

and even more for the 1250 suspension.

TR
  11. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    My first bike with the new suspension was a 17.5 GS Rallye. The rear suspension was really stiff. I cycled the preload from auto to max to min and back to auto and it made a big difference. Seemed like it calibrated itself doing that.
  12. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    I don’t know about quirks but I do know that if you go by feel there are the options that make a difference.
    I have the plug on mine and often run it in Enduro Pro in the mountains, usually on Auto. But it’s just me without bags and I’m average weight at 190.
    When I put the TT bags on I’ll go by what is the best feel also, often switching modes per the road demands.
    Granted the ESA isn’t as precise and spot on as some bikes (maybe) or a knowledgeable spec’d setup set of Ohlins or other. But for the average owner it’s pretty damned good.
    I’ve change out OEM shocks to better units on all my BMW’s and it’s a big plus to not have to fiddle with the setup day to day.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  13. rdbonds

rdbonds Breaker of Things

Oddometer:
    Slightly off-topic - I always chuckle to myself when I see the references to GoldWings and the cushy ride. My GoldWing F6b is rock stock, and is way, waaaayy firmer than my GSA in any of its ESA settings. :lol3
  14. NoiZboy

NoiZboy Dirt to Track and Back Again

Oddometer:
    Interest
    Interesting, and fair - I last rode a GoldWing in 2011, so I'm sure the more current bikes are very different in lots of ways. And it also wasn't a dig - I love GoldWings - it was mostly a reference to their different purpose.
  15. rdbonds

rdbonds Breaker of Things

Oddometer:
    No worries...I didn't take it as a dig, sir. I just found it funny. Cheers!
    NoiZboy likes this.
  16. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope. I had an '18 RT for a few thousand miles and was surprised that it got kicked around on the interstate in high winds and passing trucks more than a GS or GSA. The previous model RT was rock solid passing trucks.

I find the GSW and GSAW rock solid passing trucks at 85 mph even in high wind. Now the windshield is bouncing everywhere in that situation but I just hold it in my left hand if the crosswinds are bad.

Anybody complaining about their 17.5 GSW, 18 GSAW or newer needs to cycle through the preload settings. I suggest not having the suspension loaded when doing this.

I do miss the soft setting from the previous generation of ESA. However I have come to live with it as I know BMW will never give it back to us.
    RichardD likes this.
  17. WildAnCrazymtl

WildAnCrazymtl Political Prisoner

Oddometer:
    People's Republik of Kanada, Québec province!
    I did nothing but get on the bike with wifey... i made the assumption that everything would be A-Ok at a demo ride... I will take another ride and assume nothing next time... I will also only take out a bike with the normal ride height... I was kinda looking to go back to a GS, but the wife so far says that is a down grade for her as a pillion... The info here has given me a good idea on how the suspension works so....
  18. RGuy

RGuy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What kind of tires on the Tiger? Tires and tire pressure can make a big difference in ride quality.
  19. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    I have the Rallye bench seat and removed my passenger pegs.

Just a consideration.

;)

Seriously if your wife no likey the GS(A) then better not get it.

TR
    WildAnCrazymtl likes this.
  20. Subaruvich

Subaruvich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tentative_rider and Fosters like this.