What is your 15 minutes of Fame?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Rick G, May 14, 2018.

1. outlaws justice

outlaws justice On the Fringe

Oddometer:
    Mine was in movies. I was in two "Short" films, in one I do all the riding (The actor does not ride) and in the other I have a part with lines. Grey

The other is not out yet, it is called Road Kill

I have also been on several ATV rides that were published in ATV magazine so pictures and comments in the articles as well.
    rubline, ACR, CSI and 1 other person like this.
  2. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you receive a sarcastic reply?

Rick G
  3. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Ha... Whenever Motorcyclist would print an article on the Britten claiming it had a "girder front end", I'd send them a huffy note saying that it's not a girder, it's a HOSSACK front end. I'd even give them a description of the differences. Never responded, never printed. Bastards. ;)
  4. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    So in other words, you are not famous at all! :D

Rick G
    Undocumented and MrVvrroomm like this.
  5. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Standby...

I'm saving my 15 minutes of fame until late in life. :)
  6. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    I won a design award from Design News Magazine years ago:

https://www.designnews.com/medical/valve-tailors-brain-fluid-flow/36937207127661

I guess if we're talking moto-related, I've done a bit of writing for Motorcycle Consumer News (mostly in the mid 90s - 2000s) and had articles published in Backroads Magazine and in Friction Zone Magazine (a SoCal freebee mag, which I think is out of print now)
    rubline and flei like this.
  7. WindBlast

WindBlast Three chords and the truth.....

Oddometer:
    I was riding Little Tujunga Canyon in Los Angeles area early one Sunday morning on my KZ550 when I came around a corner and the Sherriff had a car blocking the road. I was looking snappy on my silver and black bike and matching Bell Star helmet. I stopped and waited about 10 minutes and he waved me through. When I went around the corner I saw a car upside down on fire with a bunch of people standing around and a full film crew with a crane, lights, everything. Once past the carnage I was stopped by the officer at the other side and he said "the crew wants you to ride by again". So I did a U turn and went back by again but this time I had two cameras shooting me. Once by again I asked the officer at the turnaround what they were shooting and he said it was an episode of Hunter. I never did find out if I made the final cut or not.

Another time I was doing my laundry in Newport Beach and ended up in a Chrysler Neon TV commercial. Never saw that one either although that took almost 3 hours. I have a natural talent of being cut out apparently.

Two photos I took of inmate Ron_Ces wearing Roadcrafters ended up in two different AeroStitch catalogs so there is that. And last year I wrote an article for BackRoads magazine that got published. I think I still have 12 minutes of fame left.
  8. bjorn240

bjorn240 Good with a map!

Oddometer:
    I won the X Games Rally Car event in 2006, co-driving for Travis Pastrana, who’s done some stuff on bikes too. That’s about it really.
    Moto Jimmy, rubline, ACR and 6 others like this.
  9. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Which fat facker at the bottom? 3 out of 4 of those fackers are fat fackers :D
  10. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Let's not forget the fact that you successfully engineered, designed and handbuilt the Hossack front end on your bike in that pic. THAT deserves some credit.
  11. tvpierce

tvpierce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unless the band everyone has heard of was Prince & The Revolution, it's not moto related. :lol3
    [​IMG]
    sebwiers likes this.
  12. sebwiers

sebwiers  

Oddometer:
    I think we all know that build work doesn't translate into fame. Maybe for a few guys who have outstanding fabrication or marketing skills, I guess, and maybe if you go out and set a land speed record or something.
  13. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The year was about 1998. I had to go to the Mall of America and pick up my daughter's birthday gift, a new swing set at a toy store there.

I was in my '93 Dakota pickup, beautiful sunny morning. I drove up the parking ramp looking for a spot on a busy Saturday. I was still wearing my sunglasses, so my vision was slightly impaired. I was cruising at about 15 mph and glanced down at my radio.

I looked up JUST in time to see two people walking in front of my truck. I hit the brakes hard, like both feet hard! The truck came to a quick halt. At the end of my hood was a little gray/black-haired guy and a tall young pretty woman. The guy's eyes were wide open, his hands stretched in front of him, as if he was going to stop me.

We gave each other a nod, not a word was exchanged. I was a bit shaken up, but I was in a hurry to get what I came there for. I parked my truck and was making my way into the mall. I was replaying the recent event in my head, thinking, there was something very familiar about that guy I almost hit. I shrugged it off as nothing.

I purchased the swing set at the store, but had to head down to the bottom of the parking ramp to pick it up. I looked out across the outside lot and noticed a bunch of big, brightly colored trucks with trailers. There was also a big circus-type tent set up. It said, "Legends of Indy".

The guy I almost killed was Mario Andretti. No shit.

Ironic that his life was nearly ended in a mall in Minnesota by a guy in a Dodge pickup.
    Lzeplin, rubline, oic and 3 others like this.
  14. sebwiers

sebwiers  

Oddometer:
    Cheez wiz, how many folks here are from MN? Am I just noticing it because I am too?
    MrVvrroomm likes this.
  15. Vapor_Trails

Vapor_Trails Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over the years I've been the subject of a few articles in the local newspapers for different projects I've had my students do.

But, MC related the only thing I've got was in 1991 on my brand new VFR750. Both of my brothers and a few of our buddies were becoming police officers at that time. I went into teaching. Fewer and better hours and more pay. Anyway, I was riding one way on a median divided 4-laner and a police car went past in the opposite direction. Later that night my buddy asked if that was me earlier. Yup, I saw you, too. He was riding along with his old-school cowboy cop FTO when they saw me.

FTO: "Damn, I'd love to get into a pursuit with that guy!" My buddy: "We wouldn't catch him." That was probably the nicest thing anyone had ever said about me.

Ah, youth...
    rubline likes this.
  16. zeerx

zeerx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope. Maybe they realized when you’re wrong, you’re wrong.
    Rick G likes this.
  17. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm on the cover of a book. Photo taken on Push Mountain Road in Arkansas in 2008 on my 05 K1200S. Here's the original and the book cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    rubline, CSI, Roadracer_Al and 2 others like this.
  18. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Placed 9th in Texas state trials championship, Master Class.... But my 15 min was when John Denver (Deutschendorf) played my guitar in our high school gym in 1961.
    rubline and Rick G like this.
  19. CSI

CSI Long timer

Oddometer:
    rubline likes this.
  20. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a little less than fifteen in Cycle News. Not me in the pic but I am Bissell.

[​IMG]
    rubline, oic and Rick G like this.