What is your 15 minutes of Fame?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Rick G, May 14, 2018.

1. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "I'd love to be rich, but I'd hate to be famous..."

NFE
    OV10 and Undocumented like this.
  2. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was filmed by AirOne for excessive speeding on the Sea to Sky. That cost me a lot of money.
  3. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    Supposedly according to some folks here a R1200GS is virtually impossible to wheelie. Does doing many thru the gear 100mph wheelies on one count then? :dunno

Unfortunately most of my 15 mins in the moto world are shame instead of fame. Like signing autographs for law enforcement, film of going over the handlebars on a quad they used for their mud bog commercial, or forgetting my boots and getting photographed on the Dragon wearing Velcro tennis shoes (see avatar) :lol3

Undocumented likes this.
  4. Undocumented

Undocumented Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sometimes there is something to be said for being anonymous.
  5. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    15 minutes? Or 30 some years? I was stationed at a computer command in Norfolk the last 6 years I was in the Navy, working on a system called Nalcomis, which automated the maintenance and supply documentation side of Naval Aviation. Part of those duties was maintaining the at the time existing system, which was paper, on a form called a Vids/Maf. We worked with another command at Pax River, MD, that administered the entire program. We did the documentation stuff (Volume 5). Some of the user manuals had pictures of the various maintenance documents to assist users in filling them out (Marines are actually Naval Aviation... heheheheh).

So since we wrote this section, we put our names on the various document examples Lt Pam Miles was my boss, AE2 Mac is actually AQCS McGinty. Lots of familiar names of old friends. One of my documents, where I made myself an ASCM, was blown up and featured prominently at my Chief's Initiation. That one is no longer there, since this pub is under constant change. However, one has remained, which is displayed below. Judging from the Julian date, this was done in 1986. The actual pub can be found at :

http://www.navair.navy.mil/logistics/4790/library/Chapter 15.pdf I am on page 245 out of 260.

namp1.jpg

Oh yea, I did ride a motorcycle to work. Yamaha Maxim. Damn thing almost killed me.
    Rick G likes this.
  6. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you know Bruce McClurg? Good guy
    Undocumented likes this.
  7. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I knew of him but he was on a salvage ship, the Grasp I believe. I was with Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit Two.
    phillyrube likes this.
  8. quickstang87

quickstang87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    https://day-long.com/gallery/sport-seats/

That is my bike. As soon as I got the seat I rode to the valley of fire state park outside of Vegas and snapped some pics. I guess they liked what I sent them!
    I sold the bike with over 100K miles a few years ago. The seat was still in great shape!
    Rick G likes this.
  9. radbrad511

radbrad511 Incurable

Oddometer:
    Lots of cool accomplishments here. My 30 minutes, 1987 and 1999 US National Speedway Champion. 12 years between titles! Took over 25 National appearances to win twice. More a record of devotion than talent!
  10. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Getting a trophy at NEPG event in Daytona from 2017. The first test went about as bad as it could; crash, stalls, folding my pipe after hitting a stump while letting a pro rider pass me. But, I got my nerves calmed down, put in 4 great tests, mainly due to my "sand skill" on the last 2 tests. Two other riders on my row got the best of me in the first two tests in the tight stuff, but once we started hitting sand, I was the one pulling them. Last 2 test rides were +15 and +35 sec in my class, which made up for the poor first test. Hopefully get that rush again in 2019.
    Undocumented likes this.
  11. scottzilla

scottzilla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you know if you won, your life would have been quite different. his too...
    Undocumented likes this.
  12. chtucker

chtucker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quoted/shown on a National Geographic TV show about how EPA Superfund designations impact communities:

"Your fine! Just don't eat the dirt!"
    Undocumented likes this.