What is your earliest/first motorcycle experience

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by carabnsol, Aug 13, 2009.

1. hikrynut

hikrynut Adventure Pig

Oddometer:
    Me and a neighbor kid spent all one summer building a go kart. O.K., well, our DADS spent all one summer building US a go kart when we were about 7 or 8 years old. But it was built in HIS garage and the field we rode it in was on HIS side of the street and it was decided it would reside in HIS garage, so I couldn't just take it out anytime I wanted to, and I always wanted to, soon as school was out I would be knocking on their door wanting to take it for a spin, problem was they were not home, ALOT! Then one day I was ridng around with my dad when he stopped by a friends car dealership and I saw one of these:

[​IMG]
    (I swear I heard angels singing)

1972 Indian MM-5, 50cc............I was in love.

Not really sure how much it cost, but it only took about 6 months of paper route money ( pretty sure dad covered the rest) and it was mine!! No more waiting on someone else to get out and ride! I was in heaven, until my little brother turned 5. Dad then decided it was time for my brother to learn how to ride it. NNOOOOO!!! Back to sharing again...d#%$ it. By this time I was 12 and really getting a little big for it, but I didn't care, it was MINE, I bought it! The very next weekend dad says "Hey, come take a ride with me in the truck." " But daaaddd I was gonna go ride the bike!!" "You can ride later " He says "I need to you to help me with something" "ooookaayyy" I said. And this is what I had to go help dad get:

[​IMG]

I love my dad.

After all, I would be 14 soon and would then be able to ride to SCHOOL, how cool is that? Of course it was no longer street worthy by the time I turned 14, but by then I learned girls had boobs and nothing else mattered anymore.

When I was 15 my dad and my brother had a really bad wreck on the above Honda, my brother was in a body cast for a long time, broke several bones, lost several teeth and my mother declared that motorcycles were no longer welcome in our home....I was sick:sick ....but, hey, girls had boobs!!

Didn't own another bike until two years ago, and just like back then, ya caint hardly get me off it!!
  2. T.Low

T.Low Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now you've really gone and done it!. Those are awesome pics, and I'm going to have to go dig out my old pics, even if I got to call back to Michigan to get 'em!

That one of the Honda is priceless.
  3. carabnsol

carabnsol should have been a cowboy

Oddometer:
    Wait a minute, girls have boobs! Anybody want to buy a motorcycle?:lol3
  4. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    HEY! Dont sell! Riding is better than sex! It lasts longer! :thumb
  5. tcourdin

tcourdin Resident Spooner

Oddometer:
    Even when I found out what girls were good for I still liked my motorcycle more.:evil
  6. Trophy1298

Trophy1298 Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Mine was a RM 80 I believe.
    [​IMG]
    I was 8 or 9 at the time. Being the youngest of 5 children means that the parents had long since stopped taking pics of everything their kids did, so I have not seen any pipcs of me on that old dirt bike. It was great. Had a couple friends down the street who had a dirt track in their back yard (large pasture their dad had built a track on). It was a blast.

The first vehicle I purchased myself was in 1985. It was a 1985 Yamaha Maxim 700.
    [​IMG]
    I loved that bike. It was screaming fast. I was not intrested in personal safety back then (I was 18 so 12ft tall and bullet proof) and took trips to Panama City Beach, Pensecola, etc... wearing tennis shoes, shorts, and a helmet. Ohhhh to be young and stupid again. Old and stupid isn't working as well for me.
  7. Trophy1298

Trophy1298 Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Hey, I found out back then that if you have one on the bike who is fit, has good balance, and is a daredevil, she can crawl around in front, facing you, and BOTH the bike and the boobs can be enjoyed. Thanks Carabnsol for the trip down mammary lane. :devildog
  8. panayoti

panayoti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My first ride was with my dad on his friends Honda 160. It had loud pipes. As we drove through the neighborhood everyone was looking at us. The adults glared and the kids were envious. 1964

We had Norton single we worked on for years, never did get it running before selling it.

When I was about 11 or 12 I started riding friends minibikes. Anything from lawnmower engine scooters to XR75's. Then a friend of mine got a Honda Trail 90, he let me ride it quite a bit. He also had a Honda 305 scrambler but didn't let me ride it. Then at 14 my dad got a 450 Honda "scrambler". I rode that bike through high school. I beat the piss out of that bike. We had a kerker header on it with K&N filters. My dad used to say, you tear it up and I fix it.

When I was in college we bought a 750 Honda basket case that had been wrecked. Took us 2 years to get it back together. My mom wouldn't talk to either one of us for weeks. But those were some great times with my dad. He got a little irritated when I squirted brake fluid all over the forks after he had polished them out and coated them with clear laquer. I got lost my DL with that bike due to speeding tickets.

I didn't get another street bike until 25 years later.
  9. lewismedlock

lewismedlock Follower

Oddometer:
    When I was a kid, one of the lifeguards at the pool had a Triumph TR-6. I liked looking at that bike as much as I liked going to the pool. My first ride was on the back of a Bultaco Matador.

My brother and I hounded my dad about getting us mini-bikes for what seemed like forever. Sometimes, when we were out riding around with mom and dad on Saturday nights, we' get him to stop at various motorcycle shops so that we could look through the window.

One evening we went by the Sears Service Center to look at the minibikes in there. Dad said "What if I told you I bought one of those blue ones over there". Of course we got all excited then dad said "Well I didn't buy one... I bought two." They were 5 hp minis with a swing arm and a two speed clutch. I guess you could say it changed my life.
  10. carabnsol

Oddometer:
    [quote we' get him to stop at various motorcycle shops so that we could look through the window. quote]

We did the same thing. On Saturdays that my dad didn't have to work we would talk him into taking us to the local shops to drool over the bikes. At one time we had every brochure Honda produced and all the facts about each bike memorized. Dad hated motorcycles and the only reason I got one is the kid that had my Trail 70 before me had taken it apart and couldn't reassemble it. Dad agreed{thinking we would never get it running} to let my brother and I buy it. We each chipped in $25.00 of our lawn mowing money and brought it home in 2 peach baskets. It took one summer and a Clymer manual, but we brought it back to life. Best summer ever.
  11. dirtberto

dirtberto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My parents thought motorcycles were deathtraps so I was not allowed to have on or ride one as a child. A good friend got an xr75 about 1978. That thing was awesome. And we all rode it. My parents never knew or did they? Anyway my first bike was a 1978 rd400 I bought for $100.00 when I was 18. It had ported cylinders and pipes and was so fast. I really po'd the local guys on the 650s and 750s when I could outrun them with my smoker! It was a wheelie machine and would cover the whole road with blue smoke! I busted a piston in it and sold it. That's one bike I really wish I had back.
  12. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    That question is taxing my older head. My first bike was a

[​IMG]

'56 Harley 165 which my parents and grandpaw let me trade a '48 Plymouth my Grandpaw had just gave me. Value was 100 bucks in '57 when the transaction took place. Many fond memories running about the area through swamps and rice fields, down rail road tracks and even going to school on it. We had about 80% gravel roads back then so if you could not do gravel, you didn't ride. Still love gravel today.
    Early influences were a State Motorcycle Cop whom taught me lots, both gravel and pavement survival street smarts and an old BSA dealer, whom taught me how to race dirt.
  13. rats4ever

rats4ever Trapped in the Plains

Oddometer:
    I never had any real interest in bikes as a kid - the family only knew a couple people who rode. After a 2 year stint in Namibia teaching Biology for Peace Corps, I came back home the long way, through India, Nepal, and SE Asia. My first ride on a bike was with a giant backpack on my back, a daypack between the rider's legs on the gas tank, and no helmet for either of us, in Goa.

I got trapped by a strike in Nepal about a month later, and the extra day I spent in the village consisted of my national park guide teaching me how to ride his 125cc Yamaha, and taking in the village's annual cultural/religious festival. So yes, my first ride was an ADV ride in rural Nepal! I then rented a bike about a week later in Pokhara, and had my first ADV crash. This was the day I learned that motorcycles were entitled to approximately one third to one half of a lane. The oncoming local, who had room to get into his lane, was confused about why I was so upset with him riding head on to me in my lane. Obviously, we had different definitions of "his" and "my." Fortunately, I squealed to a stop and THEN fell over, instead of vice versa, and had a helmet. A few step-through rides on Honda Dreams and the like in Thailand, and I was hooked on small bike fun. Here's one of my Chinese imitation Dream in rural Cambodia - you don't need an enduro suspension unless you're a weenie. :D

[​IMG]

And here's one on a more tame road with a better bike, AND a girl who has boobs:
    [​IMG]

Riding in Oklahoma just gets boring compared to the way I started out... which is why I rode in Nicaragua and Costa Rica this winter:
    [​IMG]

14. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unlike many of you, there were no gearheads in my family. My dad was fond of saying of his cars, "I know where the key and gas nozzle go, and that's all I need or want to know." My cousin had a Speedway minicycle, and my parents never let me ride it (although they let my older sisters! That bit the big one!)

My first interest in bikes was purely practical. As a 14-year-old, I saw a TV commercial for the then-new Honda Express that said it cost $298 and got 100 MPG -- even though I was 2 years away from my license, that seemed much more attainable than a car.

In October of 1979, at 16, I saw Quadrophenia (the movie) and desperately wanted a Vespa P200E.

About six months after that, a guy I worked with after school had a '73 Honda CL125S for sale for $200. Got my permit and bought the bike in July of '80. Other than needing the rusty tank replaced, that bike was the best two bills I ever spent. I was quickly hooked. Within a year, I bought a new-leftover '79 Triumph Bonneville.

My lifelong addiction is a pretty good reflection on the Honda 125. Every time I see an ad for one, I think how much I would love to find a good example to own again.
  15. carabnsol

Oddometer:
    These are great stories. This is what I had in mind when I started the thread. Thanks for the picture of your motorcycle AND a girl with boobs. My bike is no longer for sale, I am however looking for a girl with boobs to go with it.:lol3
  16. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Ride more worry less

Oddometer:
    The first ride I remember was on the back of a 1980ish Honda CB 750 (maybe). It was a very short ride, and I don't remember much about it. Probably 1985 or so, I was 7.

The motorcycle gene lay dormant for a long time. I lived with my mother who lived by the saying "Get your son a motorcycle for his last birthday.":cry

I started wanting one again in about 2001 or so but did not have the means to get one. Then in fall of 2007, I started grad school and the parking situation on campus was so horrible that I was spending up to an hour looking for a parking spot.

So I sold my good truck, drove my "project" truck to the motorcycle dealership, and plunked down the cash for a leftover 2006 V-strom. Wolfy317 had to ride it home for me, since I was pretty much clueless (not much has changed on that front).

Many thanks to Wolfy317 for the lessons in those first few weeks:clap
  17. rats4ever

rats4ever Trapped in the Plains

Oddometer:
    To tell the truth, that wasn't my motorcycle (rental, as all my international rides thus far) or my girl (apparently she wasn't available for rent, unlike other women I met in Thailand). But we spooned... that counts, right? In all honesty, for the 3 weeks we traveled together, she might have been the best drinking buddy I ever had. :freakyDrinking buddy, rock climbing partner, motorbiking babe. Good times.
  18. tcourdin

tcourdin Resident Spooner

Oddometer:
    Found a picture of a 1979 DS80! My first bike looked exactly like that. What a great little bike, I bet I put thousands of miles on that little thing, I dont remember EVER having anything broken on it...except the rear fender when my Dad looped it out! :lol3

I dont remember even seeing this bike, I just remember coming home and my Dad had it for me.

I know I bugged him for months about a motorcycle, he rode me out into the country on a streetbike so we could look at a used bike someone had for sale. I'd NEVER ridden a bike all by myself, the old man asked if I wanted to ride the bike he had for sale, I hopped on, took off, and couldnt let off the gas...right into the thickets! We didnt buy it.:lol3
  19. Purcell69

Purcell69 Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer:
    Moving forward...at the speed of rust in mid-OK
    When I was a year old, my Dad bought a 1966 Yamaha YL-1E, his first motorcycle. It was a 100cc twin two-stroke, the first year Yamaha put the "Autolube" oil injection on their two strokes. It also had electric start. When I was 4 or 5, my Dad started taking me on rides with me sitting up in front of him. I was hooked.

We used to take that little motorcycle all over the woods around Rockville, MD every spring and summer. It had a cargo rack on the back where he'd bungie a plastic bucket to bring home the wild blackberries we'd picked.

I was about 10 or 12 when he decided to teach me to ride it. At the time Geico was building office space near where we lived. We rode over one Sunday evening when the parking lot was empty. He showed me how to pick the bike up, then showed me how to start it. I've been riding ever since.

Dad passed away back in 1992 and I inherited the Yamaha. It had been sitting for a while and had several of his repairs made to it over the years. I got it running a few times when we lived in Arizona in the years that followed his death. We moved to Oklahoma in 1998, and of course, brought it with us. I got it running again about 3 years ago, and every once in a while, the thought crosses my mind about selling it or restoring it. If I ever find suitable storage to keep it in while I work on it, I'll restore it. I doubt I'll ever let it go.

Thanks for reminding me just what that motorcycle is really worth.:freaky

-Joe
  20. RadioTom

RadioTom n00b

Oddometer:
    I got a paper route when I was 11. When I turned 14 my parents ordered a Sears Allstate Sport 60 (made by Puch) out of the Sears Roebuck catalog.

[​IMG]

After that dogs that had once chased me, now feared me. Customers who praised me for getting their paper on the porch, now cursed the trail I wore through their manicured lawns. And school mates who had ignored me now envied me for I had freedom and adventure. And as I think about it, not much has changed in 40 years.

I continued to throw papers from a motorcycle till I went to college.

There is a video of an identical bike at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qHQFbAl0bQ.