1. eNewsletter Sign Up

What is your personal best secret road in Alaska? Care to share?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by strsout, Apr 22, 2010.

1. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode this for the first time last year and had a blast. Just getting to the road itself was great and so was Kennicott itself.

Side Note- Where do I get to this Burma road?
  2. AKAirborne

AKAirborne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe Burma Rd is down KGB to Point Mack. Rd. right at the tee intersection like your going to Little Su Public Use Area. Where you take a left on Ayeshire to go down to the boat launch, if you go straight I think thats Burma Rd. It goes north and eventually hooks into Marion Dr, which then you can that Big Lake Rd. to the parks. Or you can do it the other way.
  3. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I bet you are the guy that
    picked that 09 up aren't' you?. If you did glad to see you following your buds advice :freaky
  4. AKAirborne

AKAirborne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yep its me
  5. ColininKodiak

ColininKodiak (not in Kodiak)

Oddometer:
    AKAirborne, welcome to the asylum. As much as we may seem it we're not all nuts here. :evil To the rest of you guys here keep the good road secrets coming. I'll be passing through towards the end of May so I need some byways to pass my time before I meet the ferry in Homer on the 29th.
  6. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer:
    I throw in a vote for the lowly glenn Highway, but the timing has to be correct. I rode it yesterday in great weather and all, but the REAL factor in the great ride was that there was NO traffic to speak of and not a single camper. really awesome up in the remaining curvy section near Hicks Creek and Caribou Creek where they have not yet widened it.
  7. akkurt

akkurt Rode hard

Oddometer:
    +1
  8. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of my favorites too, is sad to see it being straightened out though understand why. It is the way of all roads. Much of the original ALCAN is gone though the section around Muncho Lake/Liard is original roadbed and very fun on two wheels. Ride the good roads while you can, they won't won't be there tomorrow.
  9. interiorak

interiorak Breathe now Proceed as way opens Family Compassion Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look at a map of roads/trails on both sides of the Chatanika River downstream of Steese Hiway crossing just north or west of Fairbanks. Alaska is about exploration, adventure and solitude. Find your own way and rhythm on any path that moves ya. Just remember to bring mosquito repellent if you plan on stopping at any time ... for instance when you get stuck ... your 600 lb bike might not be the best choice if it rained the week prior to your arrival ... that's the voice of experience talking :norton. But the pike and grayling can be fun ( . . . and dollies too if you do your research well.)
  10. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    You must mean between Chickaloon River and Cascade Creek - the stretch that includes Long Lake hill, the bends around Weiner Lake, and the Puritan Creek canyon. And it's best not to think of that as traffic free. On the way in to Katoomer's for the Hackyfest on 4/24 I met no fewer than 3 of Alaska's finest in black stealth Crown Vics between Hick's Creek and King River! :eek1

Hicks Creek to Caribou - and beyond - was widened over the past 5 years. However, just east of Hick's Creek you can still take a motorcycle over the old Pinochle Hill with its delightful twists and turns. Just be careful of all the loose rocks and gravel there.

Another one that is probably missed by nearly everyone who rides up that way is the stretch of old highway from Mile 115 to Mile 119 on the north side of the existing Glenn. When the state abandoned that section they dug up all the old culverts running under the highway and left the ditches where they had been. Makes for some interesting riding. :nod Took the Wing through there a few years ago and was wishing it had a knobby on the rear as I was spinning dirt and gravel quite a bit climbing out of the man-made ravines.

One more is the old Lake Louise Road where it is still accessible. You have to duck under the overhanging brush in a lot of places... and watch out you don't surprise a moose or bear when you come around a blind corner. :eek1

Will have to do some more investigation this spring of the old highway along the Tiekel River on the way to Valdez. Used to take visitors that way to give them a taste of off-roading with touring bikes. :lol3 It was necessary to ford a few shallow streams along the way. But the flooding of September 2007 took out the north end access and I haven't been over that since then.

Might get to check out the old highway between Mentasta Pass and Tok before D2D. It crosses the Little Tok River around Mile 90 or so on what was known for many years as "the broken bridge" (which has long since been repaired) and comes out just past the present crossing of the Little Tok. Used to ride that on a street bike 30-some years ago, getting air with the front tire at 35 mph, thanks to the many frost heaves.
  11. Phish

Phish Fishbone

Oddometer:
    Awsome but the first water crossing is a bitch. :nod
  12. AKmud

AKmud Muddy Gruver

Oddometer:
    For a short ride, Wasilla Fishhook from the Parks Hwy (Main st. at that point) heading out to Hatcher pass is a great ride. Not overly scenic till you hit Palmer fishhook and head up to the pass but nice and twisty through several parts of the 11 mile ride. Continuing up to Independence mine extends the trip another 12 miles or so and has some great views. :ricky

Also, Farm Loop road is another quick trip/alternate route to catch. Several nearly 90* corners and some beautiful farm land.

Speaking of 90* corners.....Birchwood loop is fun. Not a lot to look at, but a fun road.
  13. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

In that neighborhood, starting at Four Corners (Palmer-Wasilla Hwy) on Trunk Rd, over to Palmer Fishhook, then northeast on Farm Loop to the Glenn = lots of tight turns. Used to live on Farm Loop when there weren't more than 10 houses along that whole route.
  14. ColininKodiak

Oddometer:
    You mean over the bridge at the bottom of the pass? Um I guess it's hard to get going again when I stop because the view is so nice. No water crossings on Anton Larsen. If you take the trail at the end there's one water crossing but I think its all native land and so is closed off now :kboom. Are you thinking of Saltry Cove road? it has some nasty water crossings, I got eaten by one in front of a bunch of inmates last fall.
  15. Phish

Phish Fishbone

Oddometer:
    Nah, I was being a smart ass, I was talking about leaving from Homer :lol3
    Kodiak is exceptional, would love to ferry over and ride.
  16. ColininKodiak

Oddometer:
    Join the many who are discovering this place on 2 wheels ( god that sounded like a brochure). We're having out little adv shindig again labor day weekend this year. Tell all your friends. We promise to keep the bears away from the bikes this year.