What Items Does Insurance Cover in a Motorcycle Crash?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Razorbak, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Razorbak

Razorbak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. chadhargis

chadhargis Too tall for sportbikes

Oddometer:
    My insurance company only paid $400 towards ALL my gear. Helmet, pants, jacket, gloves, tankbag, and all its contents.

If you carry lots of stuff...get an insurance rider for your gear!
  3. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    Generally, unless you have the camera specifically listed under a personal articles policy, it's covered under your homeowners or renters policy. That means whatever deductible you have with that policy applies. That can hurt when you a five hundred or more deductible....
  4. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    Okay, now without turning this into an insurance thread... Anything mounted or attached to the motorcycle like lockable luggage, windshield, and even a GPS or installed music system, should be covered by your motorcycle insurance policy. All of the above is covered by my USAA auto/motorcycle policy. The camera would be covered under your homeowners/renters policy (or specifically covered under another policy, personal articles, etc.) as would anything you carry in your luggage or tankbag and certainly anything tied on to the bike. Check your policies for deductibles and who covers what.
  5. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    No.
  6. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    I've altered your list to reflect what I would expect my insurance company to cover with possible provisos:
    #5 As long as the Garmin is mounted to your bike and hard wired
    #8 the tankbag is questionable but an argument could be made
    #10 if it was in the Garmin at the time of loss
    #15 if it's attached to the bike....
    #29 if it's not a permanent part of the bike... probably not.

Everything else that I deleted should be claimed but through your homeowners insurance. The above stated is from my experience and inquires of Allstate, State Farm and currently USAA insurance companies. I carry a lot of different kinds of insurance coverage but I'm neither a lawyer nor an insurance adjuster, so this is all definitely debatable. But it is what I've been told by my current insurers....