What kind of battery for adventuring, is Lithium up to the challenge?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by JoelWisman, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    That tells me you are a salesman. The battery needs to start my motorcycle, that is all it need to do, and it does. Technology means nothing if it does.
  2. Antigravity

Antigravity Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please read this in your best mad scientist voice with a rising shreak at the end of each sentence with alot of up and down gravely voice modulation. It will give it more effect...

"I see you have pierced the secret vale of the Lithium Consortium... You knowledge is too great to allow this to continue. With your SBDs (Smart Buying Decisions) , and EKBID (Extremely Knowledgeable Brain Interface Dynamic) we must take immediate action... and we will. We will endeavor to make NEW, better flavors of Kool-Aid to defeat YOU!!!!"
  3. Global Rider

Oddometer:
    Buddy, I went to school which is why I know something about this. You seem to be getting upset. Maybe I am asking too many technical questions.

Now if we could only get our government to do that, think how much better we'd be off.

Hasn't this been fun. My pulse is still down at 51 to 53. lol I just love vendors.
  4. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Using a 1 amp cheapo charger burst my Shorai, after I inadvertently flattened it first. The charger infused 15v+ and the meltdown was on. I had no idea this would happen but I think it supports the theory that the v must be carefully controlled when applied to a flat batt. The only real advantage, other than weight, that the Shorai offered was the speed it spun the DRZ's engine. It couldn't keep cranking that speed for long but the bike likes a fast crank speed to start and this helped, at least at first.
    lexaria likes this.
  5. murph76

murph76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    never had a agm last for more than 5 years ....ever.....u must have some kinda unicorn and fuckn rainbow batteries
  6. Global Rider

Oddometer:
    Well no charger would go to +15V unless you "purposely" select "cell equalization" and that can only be done on a Flooded Lead Acid (FLA) battery (aka your everyday lead-acid battery) and never used on an AGM, GEL or Li-Ion.

Li-Ion batteries are very susceptible to overcharging. Do it and the battery is toast. Same for an AGM or GEL (VRLA type) battery. If they gas, how exactly can you top them up, you can't really. You can if it is a FLA battery - that is why they have screw caps.

Well 12.8V is 12.8V (as an example) no matter what battery you have. The difference is what the load (your starter) does and how the voltage collapses due to the internal resistance of the battery.

Limited by the capacity of the battery or the battery was old and tired. Capacity drops with battery age.
  7. Global Rider

Oddometer:
    If you live where it is really hot, battery life suffers. You did well at 10 years. My issue is the cost of them since I get that life on a regular battery.

Yeah well we'll see. The R1200 GSA LC has an AGM and so does the Porsche. I have no use for high-tech unless there is a real advantage and not some marketing hype. My other factory fitted batteries were all FLA and made by Panasonic. Damn good batteries; unfortunately not available here. Mind you, the vehicle charging system was spot on.
  8. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no selector available on the charger I referred to and YES, I have measured its output at around 15.6V when the battery has been charging for a while and also when I pulled it off my Shorai, which was actively engaged in a meltdown. But, what do I know?.... except I was there and simply related my error for others to hopefully learn from, not to be called a liar or mistaken about what I clearly observed.
    nvklr likes this.
  9. Global Rider

Oddometer:
    One defective charger or one very cheap charger. Might have even have been a "manual" charger which has no control over the charging process, in which case the owner has to monitor the battery voltage and disconnect it manually.

I never implied or even thought that.
  10. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    My guess is that you charged it wrong, or it was a crap battery, I have had several that lasted 7+ years, without daily use.
  11. murph76

murph76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was gonna say your full of shit...……..then I caught the last 3 words that explains everything
  12. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    Some are used daily some arent
    Typically batteries that aren't used do not last as long in my experience so 7 years from a non daily is pretty good in my book

Look elsewhere for a scuffle
    I certainly do not have time to argue with you over how long my batteries last me
  13. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I must have some kinda unicorn and fuckn rainbow batteries. My AGM lasted 11 years. I get 15 years service from FLA batteries.