What maintenance parts will you buy?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by GrusMC, Jun 18, 2019.

1. GrusMC

GrusMC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have a year old gsa and had a $1000 to spend on parts what will you buy? Am thinking drive shaft. Just BMW parts at the dealer.
  2. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    1. BMW REP ROM
    2. JVB’s Service (model specific) DVD
    3. Grok’s harmonizer or equivalent
    4. GS-911
    Callisto224 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  3. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you get a new driveshaft in Sweden for US$1K? Does the bike's mileage justify such a preventative maintenance item?

I like the above suggestion from @ultane. Those items come in under the stated budget, too. More money for gas! And maybe beer, but never together.
    SmittyBlackstone and ultane like this.
  4. GrusMC

GrusMC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2018 GSA Rallye spend in the shop only on BMW parts.
  5. GrusMC

GrusMC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    12000km, driveshaft I can get yes. Common I Sweden my Harley dealer gave sometimes 20k swedish on things in the shop, clothes n parts.
  6. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    A year old GSA is throttle-by-wire and so does not need a Harmonizer or other throttle cable balancer.

Driveshaft here in the US is about $1200. The original should be good for at least 85000-95000 km.

I'd probably go for the Rep-ROM and maybe enough scheduled maintenance supplies for a couple years, and spend the rest on BMW clothing.
    lewisjr1 likes this.
  7. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    A year old GSA shouldn't require any maintenance parts for you to stock, being that it should have 3 year warranty. You're in EU so I'm not sure if the same warranty applies in EU is it is in NA (3Y 36K mi in US or 3Y Unlimited KM in Canada).

If you could, try to get their apparel if you must spend all the money at BMW store or get luggage or an exhaust or else etc... You could stock consumables for regular maintenance but you should be able to find oil/filters/else on Amazon or at more affordable prices than at dealership... :deal

Check your dealer website as to what they stock or can order and start fillin' up the shopping card... :D
  8. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Doh!!!!
  9. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking the guy has something like in the U.S. is considered a dealership credit, and maybe it's nearing its expiration?

If so, I'd stock up on consumables: oil, filters & tires. Oh, brake pads, too.

Any leftover I might blow on gear: gloves, heated, etc.

I'd not consider a driveshaft unless a.) the one I was riding was failing, or b.) the bike had at least 50-60K miles (that's U.S.)

Heck, I'd pick up spare brake rotors before I'd get a spare driveshaft.
  10. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Clothing or cases!
  11. Beecher Snipes

Beecher Snipes Fool

Oddometer:
    Brake pads front and back. Filters air and oil. Extra DIN socket or so to install fused power outlets, the computer controlled one is only good for 5 amps. Valve cover gasket set. Various faring screws. Set of spark plugs or two.
  12. GrusMC

GrusMC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice and tips. As for Gear am good, heated, gloves & vest from late season harley riding and recently renewed them. I will go for plugs, filter, brake pads and rotors and see what else i can grab from the shelf:-):-):D
  13. wanderlost

wanderlost Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you perhaps spend it to purchase an extended warranty? That way whatever comes up would be covered.