What makes a ride an "adventure"?

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by BMWBUD, Feb 5, 2019.

1. BMWBUD

BMWBUD I couldn't hack it. Back on two wheels.

Oddometer:
    Re-reading Long Way Down by McGregor and Boorman. Started me thinking about what is an "adventure ride"? Does the level of independence vs support make any difference. Does having a professional team supporting your ride make it less of and "adventure"? Does the location make any difference? Riding dirt roads in S. Illinois vs Africa? Level of risk matter?

What say you?
    pops likes this.
  2. mikejjmay

mikejjmay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking up the definition.

Def: an unusual and exciting, typically hazardous, experience or activity.

Used as a verb: engage in hazardous and exciting activity, especially the exploration of unknown territory.

Interesting both say hazardous. I always viewed my everyday commute to work for 40 miles an adventure. With the crazy drivers around here, its definitely a hazardous adventure.

In terms of riding, i define it more by the attitude and approach taken. If you approach the ride as an adventure, and enjoy the sights, and sounds of the world and the bike, every ride (even a commute) can be an adventure - so location doesn't matter a bit. If you are trying to get as fast as possible from A to B, and your mind is busy and full of stress (and the ride doesn't alleviate that) - not so much. No different for me than taking a car.

I don't think having support makes it less of an adventure. If we all had money/sponsorships/commitments (family and an acting career, etc), we probably would all do something similar to a degree (maybe not quite as extensive) to minimize external risks/increase comfort and just enjoy the riding.
    pops, High Octane and rg sw wa. like this.
  3. elvisonthemove

elvisonthemove Crazy, Brave, or Both.

Oddometer:
    I think adventure is one of those things that can be measured on a spectrum. As far as the Ewen movies go I would say it's an adventure for him to be in a movie where you have to do your own stunts.

I would think it probably a bigger adventure for the support crew. Imagine having to keep a celebrity of Ewen's level safe, happy, and fed as he meanders through some pretty sketchy parts of the world. Then, on top of that, you have to film him in a way that is compelling to the average person. I think that is the true adventure of those films.

I look back on some of the more dangerous days I have had riding around this world solo (pinned down by Moldovan soldiers at gunpoint, Polish gangsters, Roma mobs, etc.) and I doubt a guy as famous as Ewen MacGregor would be able to do the things we normal guys can.

Do I think he had an adventure? Absolutely. Just clocking those miles puts him in a category only very few of us can ever hope to achieve. Even with all his celebrity every border crossing is always an adventure unto itself. Do I think it would be more of an adventure doing it solo on questionable hardware with limited resources? Absolutely.

I think of all the people those shows have inspired to get out and adventure and that in itself is the true adventure.
    High Octane and rg sw wa. like this.
  4. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    More adventure- less planning - less equipment -by your lonesome

Less adventure - planned to death - more equipment than you end up needing - a crew of capable individuals with knowledge to handle most any eventuality .
    moffit virtue and rg sw wa. like this.
  5. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me thinks that going on an adventure with a Sat phone (and whining when he cannot talk to his wife!), complaining about all the “official” parties he has to go in the way or just buying another bike on the spot is as much an adventure as going to the Club Med!
    Hubert had adventures (11 years of it) but he was unknown and not on TV or even books just a website: http://www.thetimelessride.com
  6. RockyMtnRoadRash

RockyMtnRoadRash Useful and decorative

Oddometer:
    Adventure is where you find it. Adventure for you means going to [Place far away from home] and writing existentialist blog post? Knock yourself out. If it means riding around outside your town following roads you've never been on for no good reason? Knock yourself out. I think the only really important part is going outside your comfort zone, and being excited about doing so. That's ADV at its best.

If it it's anything and you're going to bag on someone else because their definition is different from yours? Get Fucked. That kind of gating nonsense is this site at its worst.
  7. RRF

RRF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    “Adventure” is in the mind of the rider. Anything outside your comfort zone is an adventure. I met Lyndon Poskitt at a gas station in Colorado in the rain. I was looking for a hotel with a hot tub. He and Eddie Meeks were preparing to ride over a mountain on dirt in the rain to their campsite. Being from a Chicago suburb I probably felt more adventurous than them.
  8. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I say you're not gonna find one here

rg sw wa. likes this.
  9. Kruzof

Kruzof independently poor

Oddometer:
    Possibly.
    You won't get eaten by lions in S. Illinois.
  10. ChiliPepperGarage

ChiliPepperGarage Spork

Oddometer:
    I always say, "If you don't overcome some adversity along the way then it wasn't an adventure, it was just a trip". Now adversity could be as simple as getting lost, getting a flat tire or getting caught in the rain with no rain gear. Or it could be multiple break downs, getting your bike stolen, encountering bandits, or getting shot!
    MarkC, Bobmws, Hi-De-Ho and 2 others like this.
  11. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've heard adventure described as "Hardship, fondly remembered"
  12. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adventure? Geezus, I've got plenty of stories from my past that my kids don't believe now, I don't need any new "Adventures"!!! :lol3
    Bobmws, Hi-De-Ho, JustKip and 5 others like this.
  13. rg sw wa.

rg sw wa. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think Kip got it. Three words and to the point.
    FR700 likes this.
  14. rg sw wa.

rg sw wa. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Strong, just show them a few pics.
    Strong Bad likes this.
  15. Wichser

Wichser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I closed my business.
    I moved out of my loft
    I liqudated all of my assets that would sell and loaded the other 40K lbs of possessions in to dumpsters and scrap metal bins.
    I'm down to 2 panniers, a bed roll.

Now I'm leaving, I think it qualifies as an adventure.
    MGV8, Feo, Bobmws and 12 others like this.
  16. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have been on more than a few ''group rides''.
    Noticed different comments about the last days ride during the camp fire time. Some would not go back that way ever while others had to do it again, no question about it.
    It appeared in each tent there slept an adventure. They all shared the same trails or climb or descent, even the water crossings were completed .
    But each was captivated for many moments & they all wanted more. They stop profiling. They started riding.

Most of us will survive our drive for adventure. But for those who didn't......what is to be said. Better them than #1 ? Did we push to hard ?
    Should we praise that missing rider for doing what he loved & then was stopped ?

We should doubt little of our selves if we now enjoy the other ride. We should all enjoy that fire at days end, if only because we were there.
  17. norton(kel)

norton(kel) He’s my President! Supporter

Oddometer:
    With all my health issues this past year, walking to the shop and dragging the rig out is an adventure:-)
    MGV8, Miggins1, Bobmws and 5 others like this.
  18. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Based on my counsel's advise, in order to avoid self-incrimination of my involvement in such adventures, all photographs were destroyed ages ago! :D
    MGV8, Bobmws, cateyetech and 6 others like this.
  19. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    That cuts too close to the bone for me to give it a like.
    rg sw wa., Bobmws, JustKip and 4 others like this.
  20. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but you are still having adventures and that's what counts!!!

"Short time alive, long time dead". I've always thought you should fill that short time with as many adventures possible, even if those adventures are just getting out of bed, keep having them!