What Michael wants, Michael gets..including his own golf course

Discussion in 'Sports' started by k7, Oct 31, 2016.

1. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    Story

I guess the stories about MJ loving golf are quite true - now, he and a group of investors are building their own course.

But Jordan wants to do what he wants to do on a golf course — which is smoke cigars, play loud music, have seven guys in a group and wear whatever he wants (he was once asked to leave a course in Miami because he was wearing cargo shorts) — and he can’t do that anywhere.

It’s easier to not break any rules when you’re the one who’s making the rules. Don’t forget the bestseller sports book about him was called “Jordan Rules” for a reason.

What Michael wants, Michael almost always gets.

Truth is, building his own golf course might prove to be one of the worst investments for a man whose net worth is $1.14 billion. Jordan starts by paying Weed millions to design the course.

Jordan (and investors such as former New York Giant running back Tucker Frederickson) also has to shell out millions to buy the land, construct a new clubhouse, build the course, hire a staff, buy equipment. Even if you get a bunch of your well-heeled buddies to join, that’s got to be quite the initiation fee and annual dues.​

I have two tenuous, at best, connections to the story. Bobby Weed, the designer and course builder is a first cousin. Pretty nice guy - has done extremely well building & designing courses. He started his golf career early in life when he'd hustle other golfers in Irmo SC while in high school. His dad purchased a driving range across from the country club there and Bobby grew up running it. His old man, when he had a few too many drinks, would stare into the night and say, "I shouldn't even be alive". He flew missions in WWII/Europe and was lucky to survive. Like many vets, he returned to the US, worked his ass off and, just happened to purchase a couple hundred acres of land outside of Irmo, near Lake Murray. Let's just say the cousins made out fairly well from their dad's efforts.

One of the investors is Tucker Frederickson played at Auburn - I barely remember him but of course, grew up hearing my dad talk about him. Talk about old-school tough - he played for the New York Giants as a fullback and a linebacker. Here's a good story about him - and how he ended up in the real estate/golf business in Florida.

I'm not a fan of golf but hell, how entertaining would it be to play on a course with "Jordan Rules"? :clap
  2. SGrider

SGrider This space for rent Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not a fan of Jordan, he should build his own course and stay there.
  3. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    Kind of the height of arrogance. If the shoe fits...