What new 1/2 ton would you buy?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CanadianX, Mar 30, 2017.

1. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    ...and why? Declare you brand loyalty if that's the main reason but if you've had good/bad experiences, if it is a price point/value proposition, reliability, dealer/manufacture support then this is where the juice is at.

Top contenders for me right now:
    1. Nissan Titan (non XD) - Felt familiar, and seemed quality have an Xterra right now that has been a great SUV.
    2. F150 (5.0) - Tried the 3.5 EcoB, meh nice truck but wasn't blown away
    3. Tundra - still holding on to the belief it is the quality/reliability king but the platform feels dated.

Have yet to drive the GM 1500 offering.

Don't believe Chrysler has cracked the code on quality so shy away from the Ram.

1/4 Tons -
    Tried the Canyon diesel, interesting but not what I was looking. Tried the Tacoma, really wanted to like it and do, but my head almost touches the roof and the back seat space is limited. Short box is a cool look and great for off road but not a key requirement for me.

What I want trouble free, easy to maintain (hence sticking with non-turbo/non diesel). Able to tow a small trailer, maybe a larger one in a couple of years, so flexibility but not a big concern as I won't be hauling anything significant. Longevity - I keep my vehicles for 10yrs. Comfortable going down the road, occasional road trip over long distances so having a quiet and good ride is important, but is pretty standard for today's trucks. Fuel econ, yeah not the biggest concern but if I have to fill up every 300km that would get old fast. Pretty generic I know.
  2. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:
    I'm in the market soon to be picking up a new truck too. I have always been a GM guy, but as I close in on retirement may change my mind and pick up something that ill keep for a long time.

Pretty much the same requirements as you, so just following along in this thread. :photog
  3. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, Too far to the mountains and too cold
    I have a 2015 Ram 2500 that I really like and quality has been good. No issues so far other than one recall for the SCR cat.

I initially test drove a Ram 1500 but the cargo ratings are stupidly low - like 900 lbs - which meant that nobody could ride in it when I am towing my trailer or carrying a motorcycle. They have had some issues with the ecodiesel which I would shy away from.

I liked the F150 when I test drove it but my daughters didn't like the rear seats. I drove a 5.0 and and EB and the EB has a lot more torque. When I drove it, it had the 6 speed but the new 10 speed is probably a big step forward.

I got rear-ended last month and while my truck was in the shop getting a new bumper I was given a 2017 GM 1500. I have to say I was disappointed - the interior was a bit plastic-y and the engine was gutless below 2500 rpm, and then it would take off.The problem was that the transmission would always shift to stay under 2500. The one I test drove when I bought my truck had the 6.2 and I don't remember it being so bad.

I didn't try the new Titan (it came out after I bought) but the XD looks like a nice truck. It would probably be the "just right" size choice for me.

I just don't like the looks of the Toyota, so ruled it out early.
  4. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those F-150s are fast. I was merging on the highway behind one recently and could barely keep up, and I drive a car with 305 hp. So later I looked up the specs on the F-150s. and apparently with the 3.5 ecoboost it does 0-100 km/h in 5.6 seconds, that's faster than most sedans. They get decent mileage for a truck too. It's also the lightest full size pickup.

I used to hate trucks because they were slow, but the latest gen of the F-150 is definitely not slow, I could see myself getting one for my next vehicle. The Chevy Silverado is also similarly fast in V8 form but it has a 6.2L V8 which guzzles gas.
  5. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    This thread could run a thousand pages....

I bought a 2016 last year to replace an aging minivan. 1st time truck owner and not loyal to any make of truck. Wanted to like the Tacoma and Ridgeline, but didn't like the non movable seating of the Tacoma as it was like sitting in a honda civic, and small rear seating. Same small rear seating in the RL and a very high price tag with high interest rates to go along with it. The front area of the RL and tech stuff is awesome though.

Soon as we sat in the larger trucks, we immediately took the RL and Tacoma off the list.

That left me with the 1/2 tons and I/we (wife, and 15-8 yr olds kids) drove them all.
    Only things I wanted were, colour matched bumpers and front buckets with console. Which all brands make and not in the bottom serveral models.
    Other than, we like this one better, for no real reason, we picked a Ram 1500 Sport, crew with the 5.7.

No regrets thus far and about 15k. But we'll see several yrs from now....
  6. tattewell

tattewell Mad Poser

Oddometer:
    Love Toyota's, always have, but they are riding off the name they made in the 90's. I still think they are better, but not better to the price they demand for them now.

I, like you, don't trust a Dodge of any ilk.

You can't go wrong with anything with an LS motor in it. That said, I have not driven a 1500, but that leads me to the Ford.

A co-worker has an F150 with the 5.0. It makes all the right noises, but I personally think the whole aluminum body thing is an expensive gimmick that will cost all owners money in the long run.

The new Nissan is ugly as sin.
  7. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2015 Nissan Xterra. It had 14 rust spots the first year after 7,000 Km. I had to repaint it to stop the rust. The dealer laughed me out of the showroom. I had towed a trailer for about 2 hours on a gravel road you understand. The exhaust looks like a boat anchor after one year on the road, I don't think it is stainless steel construction. All I'm trying to say is I don't think they used zinc primer on this vehicle, maybe others in their line. In this climate the vehicle is good for 5 years than severe body rust, maybe less time. Price you pay for a vehicle I would want a little more service than that. There were 5 holes in the floor so the robot could align the seats properly, perfect place for liquid road spray to enter the interior not to mention exhaust fumes. Just my experience with Nissan, I am not a fan.

Also there is nothing but primer under this vehicle, and as I have said it isn't zinc primer as far as I can tell.
    Mal.D likes this.
  8. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I was truck shopping in the fall of 2014 I felt the exact same way. I was a life-long GM guy, with a short stint with a Nissan Frontier. (I did have two F-series trucks in the '80s)

I was fed up with GM quality issues on the last few trucks I'd had. My final GM vehicle...a Chevy Avalanche...while an awesome truck...the copious amounts of oil it was using due to a faulty Displacement-on-Demand system that GM deemed 'normal' was the last straw. I went from that to a new 2012 Frontier Crew Cab 4x4, and that was a mistake. Build quality was ok, but it couldn't even approach the fuel economy of an Avalanche, which was disappointing.

So while all my buddies quipped about me buying a 'damn Dodge', and with all the Internet naysayers, I jumped head-first into a new 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4. I figured if it fell into a heap that I'd learn my lesson.

With 75,000 miles on the clock currently - it's been the best vehicle I've ever owned. Period. The Hemi and 8-speed trans have impressed me, the fuel economy is unbelievable, the ride is outstanding, and I've yet to spend a dime outside of normal maintenance. (Fuel, oil changes, tires...that's it.)

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Ignore the web gibberish. Go drive one before you buy.
    Velocipede and daved70 like this.
  9. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't own a Dodge, Ford, or GM in anything but a truck. I'd have faith in either of the three in that capacity though.

10. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    The Titan had fatal driveline flaws - hockey buddy owns one and most definitely does not recommend.
    I loved my Ridgeline - would purchase again in a heartbeat.
    10 years of trouble-free, flawless driving - best vehicle I've ever driven in the winter.
    Really enjoying my new Tundra - wow, what a truck.
    I subscribe to Consumer Reports - the only non biased reviews you can find out there - they agree with my two choices.
    If you need to tow anything substantial - say above 3000 lbs, I would say go with the Tundra.
    If you don't need to tow - take a long hard look at the Ridgeline - nothing on the road compares to how nice that truck rides and drives.
    Wish I could afford both, but any extra money goes to supporting my motorcycle addiction.

Last year my house needed new windows.
    A work colleague said it best - you can't ride windows.
    He was right, so I bought that Beta instead.
    This year, my house still needs new windows.
  11. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Yeah this one could go may pages. I guess on the surface all the brands are pretty equal and each will have their associated horror stories and successes. Looking at Consumer Reports you can see some trucks have reliability issues but most of the issues are more annoying as opposed to leave you stranded.

@pelvis_98, welcome aboard, this should get to oil and tire levels soon enough.

@Mr. Canoehead, that's pretty spot on with the reviews I've seen on line including the early shifts points for the GM for fuel econ. New 10sp is very smooth and will short shift as needed. I think the 3.5 EB will be a bit thirsty if you are on the boost.

@Maggot12, yup same feeling I had with the Taco and same step I took as soon as I sat in a full sized. Still struggle with the Ram, though I know lots of people who have owned them without complaint.

@tattewell, there's a comparison that comes to mind, the essence being it can be ugly outside as I'm more interested in getting inside. Blacked out Pro 4x looks real nice to me though. I think Chev will go alum in a year or two. Can't see the downside as it isn't a first in the auto industry.

@JimmieA, I bought my 06 Xterra new had a few minor issues up front and then nothing but maintenance and routine things since, and of course those things I did to it off roading. Frame on mine looks great but I did find rust holes in the inner rear fender by the rocker panels, easy fix as a DIY given its location. Didn't keep the OEM exhaust on for long.

@Bultaco206, grew up with chevs so had an affinity for them for a long time, brother has had a couple and the guy here that has no taste claiming the Titan is ugly has a chev, but I don't find the interiors to be cohesive and seem a bit plastic, like cost cutting gone to far. B-in-law has a small Chev SUV and its been crap. Ram again huh? Tried a Power Wagon and it handled like an old bus, not very refined but I did drive a 1500 and it felt ok, didn't make me inspired to buy one though, personal taste and maybe a bias I need to question.
  12. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Like I said, loyal to nothing, drove them all, and made the decision sitting in it, before I drove back to the dealer.

A few of the trucks I drove them the 2nd time.

Go take them for a spin once or three times.
  13. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Gotta have your priorities. Really really wanted to love the Tundra but some things like awkward placement of switches and questionable trailer brake controller from '15 MYs and ranking at the bottom of the fuel economy ranks put me off a bit. Driving a new one and it felt ok. They hold value like nothing else and the extended cab provides enough room to put people in the back so you don't need the super crew and can have the 6' box. ... Maybe I need to revisit the Tundra.
  14. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I kept an open mind, somewhat, when I was shopping. The whole Asian truck thing didn't work for me. To me, the Frontier was a better-built truck than the Tacoma. I assumed either one would be as efficient, or more, than the full-size trucks. I was wrong. I couldn't see the smaller physical size and lesser economy being of any value.

Even getting past the GM issues I had the new body style looked cartoonish. The whole EcoBoost thing seemed like a gimmick to me. I drove both and neither did anything for me. That left the Ram as the elephant in the room. To combat that I ignored the Ram and drove a Tundra. Nice truck. Boring to me, though. And not very fuel-efficient. Didn't touch the Titan at all. And on a whim decided to drive a Ram one day just to get it over with. :lol3

I went home and tried to come up with any excuse I could not to buy one because it was a Chrysler product. Went back and drove it again and bought it. It was the end of the year, a dealership that wanted to earn a regional volume incentive, and a unit that had been on lot for over 400 days. (A Sport model with leather and a non-sport hood. Evidently sticker-priced too high.) They instantly cut $17k off the sticker and threw 0% financing at me.

I keep waiting for something to fall off of it, or break, or just have it collapse into a pile so I can say, "A-Ha!" But it hasn't yet. :photog

[​IMG]
    Maggot12 likes this.
  15. 2dogs1cat

2dogs1cat Cole Harbour Kid

Oddometer:
  16. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Maybe I drive like a pussy - or I got one of those urban legend carburetors that get 500mpg, or whatever the f**k was the story.
    I get good gas mileage with the 5.7 Tundra - admitedly much better than my BOL with an older one (he has 2008 model).
    Damned if I can say why, really.
    Mileage goes for a crap when I'm towing, but that's to be expected.
    I honestly think it's another one of those urban legends - the Tundra is hard on fuel - the Dodge is dodgy, the Ford is weak, the GM is...what do they say about the GM again?
    Speaking of towing - I've had every truck brand they make except the Nissan, and towed horses and farm equipment all over the place for stupid horse shows.
    This thing is on another level - I feel it's the best truck I've ever owned - especially for towing.

My brother really likes his Dodge truck.
    My BOL loves his Tundra (formerly GMC fan).
    My father is retired but he drives for a local used car dealership - picking them up at auction - that sort of thing.
    He also likes the Dodge, but says the Tundra is the best of the bunch.
    FWIW - he says there's nothing wrong with any of them, and I agree.
    If you can find a dealership that treats you right - get whatever the hell they're selling and pick out the one that fits your sensibilities and tell the rest of us to f**k off.
  17. pzvt

pzvt Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have 2007 Tundra. Tows 12000 lbs no problem. Brakes suck. Toyota has put a lot of money into my truck on warranty. Strong truck. Need to plan gas stations for long trip into nowhere. (Loved my 42 gal suburban tank)Going to drive it into the ground. So far it has killed an are cap and the rust through the bed is annoying (undercoating sealing error). Not so good for plowing (front suspension). Still better than F250 navistar diesel. Buy used drive into ground....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  18. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    2dogs1cat likes this.
  19. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never had any great brand loyalty, but always swore that the only way you could get me to drive a Ford was to pay me.

I just bought a used 2013 F-150 EcoBoost.

365 HP
    420 lb-ft of torque
    Consistently 11.7-13.9 l/100km depending on driving conditions and how heavy my foot is
    6.5' bed
    11300# towing
    3000# payload
    Largest cab in its class
    Integrated trailer brake controller

Dislikes?

No rear seat console
    High step in (I got short legs)
    High box sides
    18" tires (I have the XTR package)

Overall?

Truck goes like a scalded cat. I can put 2 bikes in the bed and close the tailgate. It's super comfortable, way better than the GMC I traded in on it. The towing capacity is as good as my Dad's Dodge Ram with the 5.7.

I did have it in for a timing chain - there was a Ford Service Bulletin that was addressed under powertrain warranty - and I had a 5L as a loaner. Not much difference in performance or gas mileage, but the twin turbos of the EcoBoost just sounds cool.

My new ride:

[​IMG]

The loaner:

[​IMG]

I think my Ford has won over my Dad and my FIL, both of whom are long time Dodge owners.
  20. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in the bodyshop business, 35 years experience. I work on everything, and see what stands up, what doesn't, what is fragile, what is high maintenance, high service costs, and what doesn't.
    1] Avoid Ford's new aluminium body trucks. These will be the downfall of that company. They are a nightmare to work on, and fix. In fact, I'm saying this as I drive a Ford [Ranger4x4] and previously put 675,000kms on an '85 F150,,,,,avoid any new Ford. They have in the last 3 years become a very poorly made vehicle, fit and finish is diabolically bad panels do not fit, they have become horrendously electronically over-complicated. We have a guy basically working full time doing nothing but straightening and aligning doors, hoods, hatches, re-paints, before they go on sale on the showroom. It's sad to see, as I've run Fords since 1980.
    2] Nissan anything. Terribly made, full stop.
    3] Volkswagen. Total avoidance. Brazilian made crap.
    4] Toyota. Still good well made stuff. easy to work on. A negative for needing to replace timing belts every 96K, along with water pump, not cheap, but you can't have everything.
    5] Dodge Ram. The base trucks are solid, engine, gearbox, axle. Dodge suffers, like GM, in slightly priced down fasteners, interior trim, a rattle here and there sometimes. The brakes and steering components are perhaps the weakest part of the Dodge Ram. Replace the components with better aftermarket stuff and they are fine.
    6] Chev. Old school for sure, but like other old school formats, all the problems have been R&D'ed out, solid trucks.