What new 1/2 ton would you buy?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CanadianX, Mar 30, 2017.

1. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    you would probably have to special order that the way most pickups on the lot are now a days. Dodge 1/2 ton ram sales are definitely on the upswing, I attribute that partly to the new better looking exterior. I had a 2008 3/4ton with a 5.7 great truck except I had to replace the whole front end muchooo $$$
    gmk999 likes this.
  2. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure about that. Friend just bought a new 2016 Chev, regular cab, 8' box, AM-FM radio and get this, crank windows! I didn't even think they made anything with crank windows anymore. He just wanted a new beater truck to replace his old 80s Chev truck and saw this one sitting on the dealers lot.
  3. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    we order our fleet trucks like that, my superduty for work has roll up windows doesnt bother me a bit
    xscoobysnack likes this.
  4. ridepie

ridepie Let 'er dangle

Oddometer:
    Just bought a 2017 GMC Sierra. 5.3, Regular box, crew cab SLE. Max trailering package. So far so good. It is a long truck though.
  5. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Put another 1k on over the weekend mostly Hwy and without the trailer, almost 6k on the truck now, 3k with a trailer and mileage is now at under 14l/100km. Almost time to do the first oil change. Still working as expected though I'm wondering if the 400w in dash plug is really good for 400w. Blew a fuse on it running the air mattress inflator while setting up camp. Switched the fuse around with another port and didn't have any issue, wonder if the wife plugged in the hair dryer or some other energy monster.
  6. kirbike

kirbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm truck hunting too. Can't decide between F150 3.5L Ecoboost or 5L, or wait till the 2018 models come out with the 5L 10spd tranny.
  7. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2014 crew 4x4 w/ 5.0/ 6-speed. Lifetime average, recording every fill-up over 50,000 km is 13.8, including a fair bit of short commuting, and some trailering (nothing heavy, 2,000 to 3,500 lbs.). Extremely safisfied. No doubt a few years of improvements and more gears will improve that a little.

I suspect the financial gain due to the mileage improvement of the '18 will be off-set for quite a few years by passing up the late season discounts on the current year truck.

I bought my '14 knowing an all-new truck was on the way in a few months. Right or wrong, I decided the price ($12,500 off MSRP), combined with the last year of a long run model would likely have fewer issues than the first run of a new generation truck. 2017 - 2018 is a less radical change.

The 5.0 is a gem for light-duty use.
  8. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Drive them back to back and see what you think. I liked the sound of the 5.0 but the 3.5 just felt like it required lest effort and less pedal input to get down the hwy. Might have been the 10sp.
  9. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    3.5 NA, or ecoboost? I assumed the post was about the NA V-6, not the turbo.
  10. kirbike

kirbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did drive them back to back and I got the same impression. The 3.5 ecoboost goes like hell though! I liked it, but most mechanics will tell you to get the 5L.......there's a lot of plumping going on under that hood. Once you start towing with the 3.5 there's not much eco in ecoboost.
  11. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Not much eco, either, by those mileage numbers. On summer fuel and tires, I'm averaging 11.5 l/100 kms on my v6 Tacoma, empty. 13.2 loaded with bike and stuff at 70 mph to Florida and back.

I thought that aluminum body plus the eco boost would get better than us being reported. Kinda surprising.
  12. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, winter fuel and tires?

15. Empty. Ouch.

But my wife's Rav4 hybrid did the same, from 6.2 up to 8.5. They sure do out a lot of crap additives in the winter.
  13. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    I have the 3.5 EB. Driving it back to back with the 5.0 I found the 3.5 EB with the 10sp trans didn't require the same amount of tip in on the throttle to get it to go when on the hwy. Just felt more effortless. I liked the sound of the 5.0 but the overall performance of the 3.5 EB. Ultimately the 2017 3.5 EB came with the 10sp which will become std for most of the F150 fleet so I went with that based on some future resale and the aforementioned performance feeling. It is a comfortable vehicle to drive long distances as well as general around town duty.

I looked at it like this - Ford can't afford to put out a unreliable F150. They took a risk with aluminum and again with making a turbo motor their intended flagship engine. I also looked at how Ford has addressed issues with their trucks and revamped the 3.5EB for MY 17. As for mileage and towing, so far my experience (albeit with a new truck) supports what you're saying. If you're into the boost then you're mileage will suck and be similar to a V8 when towing. When not towing, maybe you'll save a few mpg.

I don't have much info to work with yet. I haven't owned a pickup before but I "feel" like getting 13.8l/100km over the 5000 or so km I've driven the truck is pretty good. Particularly given that 3000km of that was done with an enclosed trailer hooked up, on a engine that had 400km and in a full sized truck and with enough power to pass even going up hills with a trailer hooked up. I haven't re-set the calculator from new so that is what it has gotten for mileage over the life of the truck so far (more or less). On the hwy the instant read out shows a pretty steady 10.5l/100 on flat stretches. I agree though if you're getting into the boost then you're not getting anything but big V8 economy, though you also get V8 power. Tacoma is a good truck but it doesn't share the same capabilities as a full sized for towing and hauling. I really wanted to like and buy one but for a whole bunch of subjective reasons it wasn't for me.
  14. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Down to 13.1/100 km now based on the 6800 km of mixed driving to include the 3k of towing. So it seems to be breaking in.
  15. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you've seen this, found it pretty interesting...

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>
  16. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine is sitting at 12.2l/100 right now. I reset my guage about once a week. @Drif10's Taco probably getting a bit better because of the slight size and weight difference?

I'm quite happy with my 2013. Wife said it's the first vehicle that I haven't had buyer's remorse with.
  17. portablevcb

portablevcb Long timer

Oddometer:
    For those of you on the fence with turbos.....altitude. For those of us who live or tow at higher altitudes, especially above 5000ft, the turbo makes a HUGE difference. Have lived with several of them. On gassers they are pretty convenient. On diesels they take a bit more care (make sure they warm up good and have time to cool off before shutdown).

And the turbo does contribute to mileage even when cruising. As long as the lag is not bothersome they are a winner.

Long term? My WRX has 170k miles on it with no engine problems at all. And that was being really thrashed (with a few hp upgrades) for the first 100k miles.
  18. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Have yet to reset so what the truck is indicating at 13.1l/100 is for all miles traveled since I drove it off the lot including towing, in town commutes, hauling a couple yards of mulch etc. I loved my Xterra but then again I personalized it a fair amount. I like this truck, it is very competent in everything I've used it for but I don't intend to add lift kits and boost power or anything. No buyers remorse, it gets down the road well, is very comfortable to drive long distance and easily tows the trailer I have.
    C-Stain likes this.
  19. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm the same as you. No lifts or performance boosts... It has enough already. I just want a practical truck to haul my bikes and my trailer that's comfortable and gives good fuel mileage.
  20. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Probably a safe guess about the weight difference. Size/wind profile maybe, too?

New numbers. Loaded enclosed trailer, loaded truck, 75 on the interstate, 21l/100 kms. Into a decent headwind through Michigan, 25. Ouch. Suspect the turbo would be better in these conditions. Also suspect the fuel I got wasn't all that great, either.

My taco is a '12, I'd be curious about the newer ones with the bit smaller v6, and the six speed auto vice my five.

My unladen African swallow mileage still hovers around 11.5.