What new 1/2 ton would you buy?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CanadianX, Mar 30, 2017.

1. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    ...so not carrying a coconut by the husk and definitely not a European swallow?
  2. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Right.
  3. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just going to hijack the thread and ask about the "bed extenders". With the Sherpa, it fit in the back of the F150 with the tailgate closed. The 200EXC, not so much.

Race days I'm usually transporting 4 people, ramps, gear bags, BBQ, pit tent and cooler plus all the Medical and timing gear. My bigger truck is no longer big enough.

Anyone use a bed extender with any great success? Looking at picking one up...and I am loathe to buy another trailer.
  4. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    I'm still using my $100 PA hitch carrier but if you have more than one bike that won't work. On the upside the carrier sits more than a foot lower now and it is cake to put the bike up on it. I thought about an extender but have a hard tonneau to lock all the camping gear in the back. If I'm hauling multiple bikes I bring the trailer.
  5. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry no help with the bed extender, but I ordered the factory roll up tonneau cover as well as Ford's ramp system. The ramps store securely to the bed sides and are locked with cable locks, keyed to the ignition key. They simply slide onto a rail on the tailgate so no need to secure to the bed for loading unloading. Works very well and is a breeze to load our two DR650s into the bed. I like the roll up tonneau because it stores easily with the bikes loaded, but once we're setup somewhere and the bikes unloaded we have covered storage again, not exactly secure but at least it's locked with things out of sight. Sure they could cut the tonneau, but if they're going to do that, they'd probably just steal the damn truck.
  6. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Hitch carrier is easier to load, too.
    CanadianX likes this.
  7. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    l/100 is still improving as an overall average. I'm at about 9000km now on what was a new truck that within the first 500km did a couple 1000km of towing. Average l/100 is now sitting at 12.4l/100km. I'll do a reset of the mileage tracker at 10,000km after the first oil change and we'll see where it goes from there.
  8. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The sooner you change the oil the better. Personally I would only use synthetic oil. Might be worth it to looking into idling the motor for a minute to cool down the turbo as well.
  9. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Synthetic for sure as that is what is in there now. Not sure I totally trust the computer that tells me the condition of the oil and when to change it. Dealer says 15k, it's coming out at 10k. Turbos on the f150 are liquid cooled and do not require you to idle after a hard or long run to keep coolant flowing to cool the turbos before you shut the engine off.
  10. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

You've got 9000kms on the original oil??
  11. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Yup. 12,000 - 16,000km based on normal use (light duty, moderate towing no off road) is the service interval according to the manual and the dealer. I like 10km.
  12. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have always made the first oil change quick. There could be bits of metal in there that you don't want in your engine. Look into how an oil filter works, it isn't like you think. My recollection is that in the cold, at high RPM the filter just bypasses and passes everything back into the engine. If the engine comes with synthetic than synthetic right away, otherwise wait a while to break in the engine well. Synthetic is too good an oil and the engine doesn't break in right with it.
    Steve G. likes this.
  13. bross

Oddometer:
    The myths just keep being perpetuated. Synthetic oil is just oil, won't affect break in one way or the other. yes it's better oil than dino but mainly because it stands up better than dino oil, not because it's slippery-er. (my own made up word)

Lots of cars and some bikes come from the factory with synthetic in them and call for synthetic, have for many years. ALL our vehicles get switched to a full synthetic at first oil change and none of them use any oil through their life, even my 06 BMW R1200RT a bike known for using some oil for the first 15,000 miles. Our vehicles range from the latest 2l direct injected turbos, the new F-150 3.5l Ecoboost and down to my Ural, Moto Guzzi and Suzuki DRs. I prefer air (& air/oil cooled) bikes so believe the synthetic oil is best as it doesn't break down as easily as dino under extreme heat, which the oil may see in my air cooled bikes. The Ural has to be probably the "oldest" tech bike running and most Ural dealers recommend running a synthetic oil, my 2013 has been running a full synthetic since I bought it.

Nothing wrong with plain old dino oil, in fact most of it is pretty darn good oil and I bet you'll never see an oil related failure if that's what you choose to run and change as per the manufacturers OCI.

Do just a little research before perpetuating myths and I hope you aren't still changing your oil at 3000 miles?

http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/UsedOil/OilChange/

With apologies to the OP for the oil thread.
  14. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Wait... did this just become an oil thread :lol3
  15. bross

Oddometer:
    I just edited my post and apologized. :hide

Crawling back under my rock.
  16. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    No harm changing the oil more frequently, I do my KTM waaay earlier than necessary but the bike sees hard use some days and is in mud, sand etc. The truck..not so much. just a commuter, occasional tower and hauler of stuff.
  17. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I would have made the 1st oil change sooner than 10k though. Just to clean out the initial wear over the 1st say 2k kms.

18. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    Compared to which truck to buy, oil is a safe topic....

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    250senuf likes this.
  19. smoothride

smoothride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got a chevy Colorado diesel with 6ft box. Fuel mileage is at 29 miles per gallon on average.
  20. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Completely agree.