What new 1/2 ton would you buy?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CanadianX, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    My Tacoma manual lists the change at 16k.

My Africa Twin, 12k.

But my BMW showed me the way. :lol3 it serviced every 10k. Alternated between minor @ 10k, major @ 20k.

That, I can keep track of. Just look at the odo and know when it's due, and what's due.

So the new truck and the new bike, get serviced every 10k.

Since I'm the idiot in this equation, this idiot is capable of keeping this straight. :D
    Adanac rider and CanadianX like this.
  2. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    To paraphrase Forest Gump - I'm not a smart man but I know what 10k is.
  3. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    My 2016 Ram has a 16k interval as well. 10k works for me too, even then the computer is saying near 60% oil life left.

16 bucks for dino oil and a 7 buck filter. At 10k it's only a once a yr oil change. 16k that would be 18 months or so. I can manage to change the oil a little more frequent than that.
  4. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Bingo. :D

The Twin having DCT (which has its own filter), it's sensitive to older oil, I've found. At the 9k point it's engaging more...firmly, less slick, if that makes sense. So, going the extra 2k, I'll only do that if on a trip.
  5. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most would think my oil change intervals a tad over the top, at 5000 kms for my truck, and anywhere from 1000 miles on my Laverda, to 3000 kms on my 1200GS.
    As for modern synthetic 'car' oil, of course it's distinct advantage over non synthetic is it's ability to retain it's rated viscosity across an engine's initial cold startup through to it's hottest operating temperature, and it's vastly increased advantage to retain it's rated viscosity much longer between oil changes. However, it does not have the ability to prevent itself from the regular contaminations all oils get, mainly burned and unburned contaminants from the combustion process itself. As oil filters only filter oil during low engine revs [oil pressure] you're spinning around that acidic crap pretty well all the time as you extend change intervals to 12-16k's.
    I guess one has to decide if the vehicle ownership will be a 1-4 year window, or one much longer. If you're into ownership habits of less than 5 years, shit, don't even bother, just top it up. My buddy just bought a 454 powered suburban, which quickly seized up main bearings during his first trailer camping trip into the mountains. As he is an engine mechanic/machinist, investigations showed extended mileage oil changes as the cause of bearing failure, something you just cannot see with fresh oil change evidence at the end of a dipstick.

Come to think of it, I'm at 4000kims, time to buy oil and filter from NAPA USA, on sale of course.
  6. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Car oil is not for motorcycle. It has moly... and that is not for the clutch. There is a starburst symbol on the back of the oil bottle. If the bottom half has energy conserving on it don't put this in a motorcycle, at least a high power MC.
  7. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Agreed. Most all modern car oil are known as 'energy conserving', which means they have friction modifiers which will make wet clutches in bikes slip. And, with my fleet of bikes anyways, the thinnest viscosity I run is a 15w-40, which energy conserving oils are never that thick a viscosity. JASO MA or MA2 or API spec SG are oil one looks for with bikes. But I digress, we're talking truck oil.
  8. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    The technical term for "energy conserving" oil is........Slippum!

Cheers
  9. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We just did Cam Phazers and chains on a Tundra with only a 120000 kilos on the clock. He said he changed oil every 12 k or so. Go ahead and extend that interval, I love you for it.
    Steve G. likes this.
  10. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    My dealer recommends oil changes every 6,000 kilometers (3,700 miles) even though the on-board sensor seem to think the oil is good almost indefinitely. I listen to the dealer, as the service advisor is a mechanic himself, and a smart guy. Truck is out of warranty, so doesn't go to the dealer anymore, but I follow his advice, especially since my Indy mechanic recommends the same interval.

Apparently this whole country is considered rough service, even though my truck isn't a work truck, and doesn't trailer often.

I average 15,000 km / year, which is 2.5 oil changes, so not bad. Changes every 6,000 km would suck if I drove a lot though.
    996DL and Steve G. like this.
  11. the kaz

the kaz has become "FERAL"

Oddometer:

HEY don't bring reality to an oil discussion :doh
    Steve G. and MGV8 like this.
  12. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry :-)
  13. T-foiler

T-foiler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If it has less than 8' bed then it's just a car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. klondike1

klondike1 Nobody in particular

Oddometer:
    I work in an oil lab and we are finding that Boron is being used more and more as a friction modifier. On another note i pic up my new Nissan Titan Sl Platinum Reserve next week. Traded in my Present Nissan Titan.
    radtrout likes this.
  15. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Clearly he chose the wrong oil. If the owner had used super dupper slick 2000 syntheticish then they could have gotten away with half the oil and half as many oil changes.
    To many variables but more frequent can't hurt like less frequent oil changes. I think based on how I use my "car" (5.5' bed) is pretty light duty and 10k intervals are fine. Hell my old Xterra that saw off road duty and what might be considered severe duty at times had oil changes every 10k, except if the aforementioned sever duty happened as I would change the oil sooner. Its an 06 that runs great .... should have kept it but traded it on this truck and see someone else locally is enjoying it now.

@klondike1 Titan was very high on my list, really liked the Pro4x but the dealer wasn't as hungry and the truck, or more likely the stock tires, didn't ride as well as the ford. The Pro4x had more of the extras I wanted and I would have bought it if it was closer to the F150 in price. I was very partial to Nissans after my experience with the Xterra.
  16. klondike1

klondike1 Nobody in particular

Oddometer:
    This is my 4th Nissan Pickup. Love them
  17. Argus16

Argus16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I couldn't keep up to a newer F150 long box on the road to Tofino/Long Beach this week.
    Shitty road: lots off-camber corners, big dips in the pavement, big RV's going the other way.
    On my VStrom... she's no Ducati and I'm no Rossi but that truck's speed and cornering was impressive.
    C-Stain likes this.
  18. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    That road, although nice and twisty is not meant for spead on a motorcycle.

I too was on a Strom and waved a mustang pass me. Couldn't keep him in eyesight no matter how much I tried.

19. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer

Oddometer:

Of topic, but care to share more info about your Outback experience? We're looking at a move to a CUV or something similar and the Outback is pretty far up on our list at the moment.
  20. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Musta been a rental :)

My '13 had 20" wheels with 50 series tires, it would corner pretty good for a fat pig. My '16 has 18" wheels and tires and rides nicer/quieter, but when you overcook a corner, it feels like it wants to drag the door handles.