What new 1/2 ton would you buy?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CanadianX, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Argus16

Argus16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    First Nation's logging company truck actually. It wasn't his first time on that road I could tell.
    And yes, there was plenty of pitch and roll going on. I attributed that to the pounding the suspension must take on those roads day-after-day.
    Impressive, nonetheless.
  2. farmerger

farmerger Snowed in Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Outback was a 2005 so much could have changed by now, so take this with that in mind. At 150k km it tore the intake boot to the turbo. Has been over tightened by the factory, dealer/service guy flat out admitted it, but because it was out of warranty Subaru left me to pay the $4,500 bill when a pebble got sucked in through the hole and destroyed an intake valve. After doing the clutch while the engine was out, total repair was $5,400. All seemed well until a few months later when I discovered that if you started the car and drove it until it warmed up without letting it drop to idle all was fine, if you let it go to idle while it was still cold, it would shut off. Not like die, but like you turned the key off. Fuel system cleaning, injector replacement, spark plug replacement (which is extremely difficult with the boxer engine shoe horned in there), and all new throttle body with intake manifold, and nothing was fixed. Final straw was that the only thing left to try was the computer, but they wanted another $1500 for it and when I said, lets try the one from the used Outback on your lot just like mine, they said no. By that time I was over $7500 into repairs/attempts including the valve job and had enough. Again, perhaps a better dealer might have resulted in a different experience but as it played out, I have nothing positive to say about Subaru.

I should also add that it is NOT the best all-wheel drive system. The German's have much better ones, but of course are also mucho more $$$. My Outback suffered from what was called ghost walking, if you drove it with the wheels on one side on dry asphalt and the other side on hard pack snow/ice, the back end would twitch left and right hunting for equal traction.
  3. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! We're looking at a new '18, but hoping it's going to be a forever vehicle. We're currently selling a German AWD (2014 Audi S4) and that system works wonderfully for flinging the car down a windy road, but the lack of ground clearance makes it fairly unsuitable for winter roads so it tends to be a "townie" in the winter time. The Subie looks like the most capable of the SUV crowd when it comes to light duty off roading.