What new 1/2 ton would you buy?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CanadianX, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    FYI.... it's a Ram. Not a Dodge Ram. Just as Jeep YJ is not Dodge Jeep YJ.

Just sayin...
  2. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm an old school Chrysler Sales and Leasing Rep. When I was selling...It was Dodge Ram. It will always be a Dodge Ram.

:gerg
    sieg, jml141 and Mr. Canoehead like this.
  3. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW -

The Ford F150 EcoBoost is the official truck of Team Canoodia!

We're running 2!
  4. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    my first 3 vehicles were all TOYOTA LANDCRUISERS. BJ40, FJ60, BJ70.
    bought a FORD F150 had it for 8 years .had a few issues with the 'CAM FAZERS" it was a 5.4 triton motor. last year i lost reverse on it. drove it for 6 months like that until the snow came and i could no longer get out of my driveway . bought a TOYOTA TUNDRA in January , used one owner with 55000kms it is a 2013 . could not be happier. when i am done with it i hope TOYOTA still makes trucks because i would buy another one .

north rider
  5. tattewell

tattewell Mad Poser

Oddometer:
    Boys at the end of the day, it's your money, spend it how you will. But don't go on the internet and claim to have an "open mind" and then say such statements as "the whole Asian truck thing didn't work for me", that's the opposite of an open mind, that's literally the opposite of what you claim.
  6. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    It didn't work for me. It ruled-out a class of truck, not a brand.
  7. Cowgirl

Cowgirl I'll ride anything. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I showed horses for a long time and hauled them all over the country. I've had a lot of trucks, most of them Fords. They've always been reliable. Back in the 90s I had one of the straight 6s, that truck would tow anything. It wasn't the fastest but we always got where ever we were going. Had over 250,000 kms before I did anything other than basic maintenance. Next one was a '99, it was great too. Then I bought a new 2010 and never did like it. The seats were uncomfortable which made it hard to warm up to. I only kept it for a couple of years before trading it in on a car for my mom. I bought myself a little beater Dodge Dakota which has turned out to be a much better truck that I expected.
  8. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    I've had Ford, Dodge, and GM's. A couple of older Toyota 4runners.

Gone back to Toyota. The overall cost of ownership over time wasn't even close on the American stuff.

Ten year truck? You're military, gonna get a lot of miles, then. I'd recommend the Toyotas.
  9. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Not a lot of miles, being military I've not be around much to drive it and in the summer it sits as the bikes become the main mode of transport. Current 11yr old Xterra has 150,000km, less than 15k/yr including the annual 3k road trips. Nothing really wrong with my Xterra, just needs exhaust work and some new end links for the rear sway bar and one little inner fender rust spot cleaned up. Still runs strong every day, though the fuel economy is off likely because the exhaust and original O2 sensors need replacing.
  10. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Local ford dealer has some '16s left, a couple they've added leveling kits and 35s to which looks cool but isn't going to help with fuel econ or anything else except playing off road and I have a ktm that is way more fun than a truck off road. Might have to drop in on them and see how badly they want to move one. One thing for sure is the fence is splitting my ass right now.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  11. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    So... What kinda oil you boys be runnin in des pickem up trucks?
    :hide
    roast44 and Mr. Canoehead like this.
  12. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seriously. I'm a Ford Convert. Ask my wife.

I've owned Dodge, (sold them as well) GM, and now a Ford. Honestly, a pickup is a pickup. Dad has a 2015 Ram with 5.7, 6.5' bed and the smaller rear doors. It's a great truck, multi displacement and I considered waiting to buy his truck when he trades in a couple of years.

We'd also owned a GMC Sierra for the past 5 years. Good truck, comfortable enough but it had a 4.8L V8 and a 5.5' bed..And that combo wasn't working for us anymore.

I'm enjoying the Ford. Its comfortable, performance is there and it will tow just about anything I'm going to.buy in the near future. A couple of airbags should increase my towing capacity if I need it.

I'm getting equal fuel mileage to Dad's 5.7, but have 30 less hp, but 10 more ft-lb of torque in a V6. I won't even compare it to my GMC.

The Ford 5L is pretty much equivalent to the EcoBoost. I doubt you'd be disappointed in either.
  13. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Funny the differences, I put a lot of miles on my vehicles when I was in.

But then, I still do now that in out. :lol3

Bought my Taco in December, it has 17k on it already. The wife's Rav4, 28k since new in August.

I'd still look at that longevity costing, though. The nickel and dime stuff on the domestics really added up. The Dodge showed rust at the six year point (a 2000 model, hope the btw ones are better). The 4wd front end was very expensive to repair when it needed ball joints. Stuff like that.
  14. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Deployments and long work up training and out of area training were the norm for awhile. Wife and I married in 04 I left in Jan 05 and we didn't really live together until summer of 07. We had a good run of about six months then I was gone for 8mths. Came home for 10mths then left for 12, came home for 4 mths then gone again. Next job saw me home more often and only away for weeks at a time vs. mths. Last couple of years have been lower tempo as I cover off on the stations of the cross so to speak so I make it home for supper most nights.

Longevity is a big deal for us as well as we hold onto vehicles for at least 10 yrs. Since 1991 my then love interest, later to become the Mrs, has owned three cars (no breaks in car ownership) the third one still being the current one and is now 2yrs old.
  15. mfaulkner

mfaulkner n00b

Oddometer:
    In the fall of 2015 bought a 2012 F-150 Ecoboost Super Cab with 170,000km - in the next 30,000 kms it went through 2 engines, a differential, 4wd hubs, coolant leaks, etc. Luckily I bought an after-market warranty. I sold it this winter. Receipts for the repairs in that period were greater than $10,000...

It was a nice comfortable ride when it was running! Just not great reliability when it got up in the higher mileage area.
  16. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Reliability ratings chart - as per consumer reports.
    The columns to the right are the years counting down from 2016 to 2007.
    Dark Green = excellent
    Light Green = very good
    Yellow = good
    Orange = fair
    Red = poor

If reliability is your priority - the answer seems obvious.

upload_2017-3-31_17-13-23.png
  17. SSBB

SSBB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I heard that the Nissan burns oil but I don't know how much. As for the Chevy I had one for 6 months, and it was in the shop for 3 of those. They had to replace the engine crank sensor 3 times as it would just quite working and leave me stranded at the side of the road. When I got rid of that I bought a 4Runner with the V8 and that was 11 years ago and over 350,000 km. Knock on wood, the only thing I have had to fix was the alternator, and that was about 3 weeks ago. It gets decent milage for a V8 and (at the time) could tow more then either the Chevy, Ford or Dodge and we used it a lot for towing our 30 foot trailer and it did that with ease.
    It may not be the best looking, but then neither am I so personally I would go with the Toyota, but it's your money. Let us know the final decision...
  18. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    The answers you're going to get here are going to be very subjective. Everybody knows "someone" that's had a bad experience or they've had a bad experience themselves.

Then there's the inherent brand loyalty.

Basically, opinions are like assholes.

You need to decide the following factors:

1. Is it going to do what I want?
    2. Is the warranty acceptable?
    3. Is the dealer support there?
    4. Are there potential environmental problems? (Ie VW TDI)
    5. Do I like the vehicle?
    6. Can I afford it?
    7. Do I really give a fuck what these guys think?

Good luck!
    VO1MX likes this.
  19. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Took a ford f150 xlt 5.0 with 302A trim level out yesterday. It was fine, liked the V8 over the 3.5 EB, the 6 sp trans was not as smooth as the new 10sp Ford has with the 3.5 EB but as a truck approaches $60k as the 3.5 EB does, I can't find enough value to get me to part with that much money.

Leaning towards the Fords and specifically a V8. I haven't found anything that has wow'd me yet. The one I liked the most from a looks cool feel good POV was a black 2017 Titan half ton Pro 4x trim level.

@C-Stain 1,2,3,4 are pretty even across the board for most brands. 5 is a bit of a challenge, I like what I like and I've yet to have my socks blown off so the search continues. 6. yeah but it remains a value proposition, for example dealer points out a fully loaded super awesome FU321 Whizbangemobile and tells me its a $90k truck and I laugh, I can't see $90k of value, not in the parts, manufacturing process etc. I can see it in dealer overhead. I drove that new F150 last night and turned around and jumped into my 06 Xterra and they felt about the same to me, put it in drive it goes, hit the brakes it stops. New truck was quieter and performed better but I don't know that it was $50k better.

As for point 7, yeah a little but not because I care if anyone thinks my truck is cool. Its a little more calculated than that. Real world thoughts and experiences related to real world use provides valuable comparatives. If what you use your truck for is not what I think I'll use mine for then I can weight your opinion differently. Also guys experiences overlaid on to online reviews and testing and manufacture marketing material gives some pretty accurate themes to what each offers.

Its early days as far as the search goes but I'd rather pull the trigger now or wait until the winter when the deals come up again.
  20. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2014 Dodge Ram 3 years ago. 3.6 or is it a 3.7, anyway it is smaller that the 3.8 in my 99 Buick. It is a much better engine, the 8 speed tranny is awesome. It has a passing capability that makes you think it is a race track motor. I have the regular cab, long bed and always have approx. 500 lbs of tools in the box. It still gets over 20 mpg with combined city/hwy driving. I now have almost 99,000 miles on it and it still drives like new. The brakes lasted over 95k before replacement. The only trip to the dealer was a recall on the airbag, other than that it is oil changes only. I would buy another immediately if this one were stolen.
    Tony in Tn
    owner outdoorliving.ws
    Velocipede and jimroid like this.