What new 1/2 ton would you buy?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CanadianX, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    This... but all brands would tick off most boxes these days to be competitive.

I really wanted a Taco. But 3 minutes sitting in it, front and back, ruled it out. Didn't even require a test drive. Every time I see one parked next to me, I think about I like the look, but it'll never be a truck I'd own. At least not the current version.

I think they are all close enough and everyone will have a story. For me it came down to how "I" felt driving it. Armrests, controls, seating position, comfort etc.

That'll be different for each of us.

Drive them all and pick the one you like the most.

2. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

Yeah well, we order parts for "Ram's" from the "Dodge" dealer. Clearly, you have too much time to even bring this up.
  3. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I've never correlated military and lots of miles. Certainly not for me. About 12-13k kms average for me, and may creep towards 15-17 if a longer driving vacation is planned.

And a good chunk of that is kids hockey related.

Most of my 27 yrs has put me 14kms or less commute. 9kms currently. If having a 2nd vehicle to commute and fun errands, they'll run about 7k each a year.

A bike will eat into each vehicle a little from Apr to Oct.

4. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Do you order Jeep parts from the Dodge dealer too?

You're post count is similar to mine, so looks like we both have too much free time... :D

5. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

Sigh.

As a matter of fact, yes. Of course we all know that Chrysler saved Jeep from the trash heap of history when AMC hit the wall. They saw the brand loyalty of course, marketing and all that other consumer draw fluff, the same fluff of brand loyalty that makes people think that "Ram" is as separate entity. I'm completely fine if you want to continue thinking "Ram" is a separate entity, as long as you don't try to point out to me that it's a separate entity, when it's actually just a Dodge Ram.
  6. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I don't know any of the history.

Never been in a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram dealer until last august. I own a 2016 Ram 1500, there isn't a Dodge nameplate/sticker on there anywhere.

Lookin for accessories at Action Trucks, Amazon, Canadian Tire, etc. It's under it's own title. Ram has it's own site. Similar to Lincoln I suppose.

I just call it what all these companies call it, not something it's not.

You can call it whatever you want.

7. xscoobysnack

xscoobysnack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Conversations about trucks always crack me up. You can buy a new car of almost any flavour and everyone will say "Hey man, congrats on the nice car" but a truck results in all kinds of comments about your mental state for buying X brand instead of Y. I find this purchase more based on emotion, kind of like motorcycles, than hard facts as all the manufacturers make pretty good vehicles at the end of the day. Every one of them is prone to producing a lemon every now and again as well and all of us could probably pull a story about how their brother-in-laws sister's cousin's uncle had a Forchevyramota that broke a whatsis while performing a lunar landing. As stated by a couple others, one of them will speak to you and that will be the end of it regardless of how stupid your friends and family think you are.
    IADRTRIDER and Maggot12 like this.
  8. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
    I have never understood the move away from the Dodge nameplate to Ram .
  9. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    I love how we argue about oil, tires, trucks, beer brands - even the names of brands we're arguing about in this thread - that's funny shit.
    Lots of other items we could add to this list - running premium fuel in low compression engines, Habs, Leafs, Sens, Jets, Flames, Oilers, Canucks.

This is where I take a step back and look at the big picture.
    I picture a bunch of Canadians being Canadians - it's fucking awesome - we're not plotting to overthrow the gov't, or someone else's gov't, or wipe out an entire ethnic group because of religious bullshit, or whatever is the media doom and gloom flavour of the month.
    None of the items on this list make an ounce of difference to anyone but ourselves.

Sorry, had a lucid moment there...everyone...as you were.
  10. ACR

ACR 59,902

Oddometer:
    The post Steve G wrote coincides with my experience after driving fords and chevs, so there isn't much I can add that hasn't already been stated.

The last two trucks have been Rams (2012//2016) and I have yet (knock on wood) to replace a single part. Living in the prairies makes for an easy life on a truck, except for all the railway crossings. I've heard of the front end components being a weak point, so I take it easy on corners at intersections and slow down to a crawl for the roughest rail crossings.

Merging onto the highway is a simple joy. The 8 speed transmission has been flawless, surprisingly smooth, quick, and smart. Engine braking takes care of slowing the truck down so well I imagine the brakes lasting for a very long time. If you want better engine braking for those pesky tailgaters, enter tow/haul mode.

The truck is also incredibly capable offroad for a land yacht. I don't do mud, but she'll surprise you in snow if you ever encounter it. Air down a summer tire and she will climb a wall. Dedicated winter tires with studs require airing down for only the deepest and most sugary snow.

She also makes for a decent bale hauler. 1,000 lb will level out the rear to 0°.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Velocipede and Maggot12 like this.
  11. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Marketing. Brand loyalty consumerism.
  12. upnorthhillrod

upnorthhillrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    with traction control off and a little boost built up launches can be very violent. I almost ended up in the ditch from over correcting after the ass broke loose at about a 60 degree angle upon smashing the gas and letting the break go
  13. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

I recently observed a fatal accident 200' in front of me. A Tundra 1/2 ton crossed the median eastbound on Hwy 1 in Surrey, BC. It appears the driver had a medical incident of some kind which made him lose control, throttle pinned, through the grass median he caught 6' of air and collided directly into a new RAV 4. I could not stop in time and ended up driving through the plastic bits of the main collision and the secondary collision of the RAV 4 getting hit by the Mitsubishi SUV behind it and in front of me. My level 3 first aid could to nothing for the RAV 4 driver, a mid 20's guy [I thought it was a middle aged lady, as I held the persons head, so bad the collision]. Anyways, it drove home to me the extra safety factor enjoyed by an old fashioned frame style truck with a mid to large engine up front. The RAV 4 was literally ripped apart. I continue to be a 'truck guy' for this reason first off.
    IADRTRIDER and Maggot12 like this.
  14. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    This is something I've come to realize at my 15k kms of first truck ownership.

How much safer I feel being in the truck, vs the long time ownership of minivans and civics.

15. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My business partner got a new 2016 F150 last year with the 5.0 V8 it's a nicely loaded up XLT Sport package with a lot of bells and whistles. I drove it for a few days last week and was surprised at how quiet the interior is at freeway speeds and how nice the ride is coming from my 2007 GM 3/4T Diesel.

What got me thinking is how computerized and complicated these new vehicles are getting, heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, back up camera, trailer back up assist, auto headlights, auto climate control, remote start, lane departure, adaptive cruise control and more windows and program options on the dash screen than my home computer, what kind of repair costs are likely to creep up after 5, 10, 15, 20 years of ownership ? What happens when one module stops talking to the others on the data loop and the dealership techs can't figure it out because a software programmer is required not a mechanic. The basic nuts and bolts of new vehicles have evolved so they are very reliable in a mechanical sense it's all the electronics that scare me.
  16. jml141

jml141 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have had all 3 American brands on our farm. We had 2 2012 F-150's with the ecoboost. The motor is great, but the rear end went out in both multiple times. They were regular 4x4's, not the FX4. The FX4 comes with a different manual locking differential that is said to be more durable. Other than that, the interiors held up well, as did the rest of the truck. I think my dad's had the electronic power steering go out, and I had an electrical problem in the transmission, both covered under warranty and never occurred again. Currently, I have a 2015 GMC. I really like the interior and the external styling, but it feels pretty weak. I think this is due to the changing of the rear end ratio from 3.73 to 3.42 for fuel mileage. They started doing this around 2005, and there was a noticeable difference in power. Ford and Ram have both done this as well, but their transmissions are more advanced and make up for the higher gearing (Tundra's have 4.10 rear-ends and that's why they pull so well. they get terrible fuel mileage though) . I've had several friends with late model Chevy and GMC's that have engines replaced. They start knocking around 60,000 miles. My dad is currently driving a 2015 Ram, and has had some electrical problems. Nothing serious, but his gas gauge isn't working and his dash screen says he has a taillight out. On both trucks we have had the gas tank vents stop up bad enough that it took forever to fill them up, but there are fixes to that. Keep in mind that these trucks stay filthy and are always on gravel roads and dirt turn rows.
    If I were going to buy a truck today, I would buy an FX4 F150 with an ecoboost. I don't have anything against the Toyotas other than the interiors are 10 years behind everyone else. I think you get more bang for your buck with a Ram though. They have a powerful engine, an 8-speed transmission and a nice interior. From my experience and from other's that I know personally, they all have their problems.
  17. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    You should watch the IIHS full size truck crash testing. A bit eye opening about how much, or little protection a truck offers. Some brands do well some are marginal, marginal being you'll be lucky to survive a collision with another car at 90km/h. Lots of factors involved that make every accident different though, like if the truck in the story you related was airborne and missed all the crumple zones and hard parts of the RAV. I'd guess no matter what the truck it in this scenario would fair any better than the RAV.
  18. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Ok so went back out this morning and tested the Nissan Xterra Pro 4x. Nice truck but a bit boucey on rougher hwy section, nothing terrible but notable. Everything else was really nice as I recalled from the previous test drive. Great motor and new 7sp trans was smooth, no hunting or dramatic pauses getting the power down. Some of the user controls were less than optimal. Column shifter, was rough, like it was catching. Button-ology for navigating the mini screen between the gauges wasn't immediately intuitive and the centre screen was a bit small and the angle wasn't ideal. The fit and finish and small details were great. Really nice interior. Rear seats and under seat stowage were easy to manipulate and sound deadening behind the seat was clean, with nice cut outs for child seat anchors and the like. Not sure how great the mileage would be but I reset it and drove down the hwy for 20km passed a car or two and then did another 5 km in town and the truck was indicating 15.4l/100km

When to the Ford dealer after and jumped in a F150 5.0 XLT in Sport Trim. I liked the centre console and that the interior was black vs. lighter grey. I think the one I tested last night that was just ok put me off because of the lighter interior. Tested a 2.7 EB as well. The little motor is a solid contender. A little (very little) hesitation when you initially pull away compared to the 5.0 but I don't think you'd notice if you hadn't driven them back to back. Goes like stink other than that. You'll only notice a minor difference in acceleration when you punch it at 120km/h the 5.0 seems to accelerate a little better, but it could be just the nice noise of the V8.

The ford holds the road better than the nissan with less tendency to wander. The nissan wasn't bad, the ford was just better. Visibility over the fords front was better. Ram, Chev and Nissan all have a high profile hood, ford seems to have some rake to the sheet metal which makes it easier to have a sense of where you're front end is. (Off roaded my Xterra a lot so being able to see the corners of the truck was naturally important).

I think I'm down to the ford with the extra kicker being wifey works at the dealer and there's a little bit of a benefit. Don't know how much as the true numbers are always played close to the chest.

No rush to do anything but closer to knowing. Last time I decided to buy a new vehicle I picked it out and then bought it...a year later for no reason other than I can wait.
  19. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    Not that I own a truck anymore (one day when the 5 kids are gone) I am stuck with a man-o-van. I was never a van person till I met my wife and she had one. Not going to try and sell you mon the van but they are more then capable of towing 3500lbs and more. 4x8 sheets of drywall in the back and close the tail gate. Anyway back to the truck debate.
    My brother has a Honda ridgline 2008 and I have driven it and hard. We build road signs and take a lot of lumber with us in it. Not a big box but we have a bed extender from princess and out 16' lumber back there. The new ones are smaller on the inside to make more room in the box. His is closing in on 300k and going strong as ever. The gas mileage is great and only better on the new ones too. Now this a small truck vs the full size ones but not sure it would be too small but is you like your Xtarra might be close size. Just to throw another option in there.
    Now I am not sure what the mileage difference is between the eco boost vs V8 but don't forget you have to use premium fuel in the eco boost so going to cost you more at the pumps.
    But that's my 2 cents if we still had any.
    I would still get a Toyota Tacoma personality, like the look and reliability
  20. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    No kids so no to the man-o-van but I agree the minivan is a hugely practical thing, just don't think I could get two dirt bikes in the back of it.
    Tundra, I might go try them one more time but the price and the datedness of it is off putting. Neighbour had a RL, seemed very practical but at some point we're thinking of picking up a toyhauler or something along those lines and as we keep our vehicles for a decade what I get now has to flex to do everything we want. Alternatively I could keep driving the Xterra, works fine just needs a new exhaust and the big ass front steel bumper needs to be re-bedlined.