What new 1/2 ton would you buy?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CanadianX, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Had 3 minivans since 01. Miss some of the practicality of just lifting the hatch and throwing hockey gear in there.

Rated at 3500, towing a 6x10, 1300lb trailer last summer, it really hated it and I got 25l per 100kms. Figured if I was burning worse than truck mileage, I may as well own a truck.

2. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    I am a bit confused, easyly done. The Nissan xtarra is an SUV...the Nissan Frontier is the pickup so... bed liner inthe SUV
    I towed a 5X10 to Mexico with two bike and three guys gear and never got over 18. New van tows a bit better same inclosed trailer but with three bikes and gear, it got 15 into northern Quebec ( or so the computer says)
    Try the Honda it might surprise you, it did for me. It does look better then the old one but the cost could be a killer.
  3. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    After going 15 yrs yrs in a minivan, i'm happy to move on.

4. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Xterra would be lucky to get 300 Km per tank of gas and that is about $55 to fill up. I would say 18 MPG tops but it is better on the highway. Mine is barely broken in 14,xxx Km on it. And I do not baby it, lots of jack rabbit starts.
  5. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

My '08 Ranger 4l v6 4x4, 5 speed auto, I generally average 500-kms on 50 litres. It does better on summer gas. i run high tire pressures, vast majority is highway running, cruise control at no more than 110kms.hr.
    Last fall, at 230,000kms, pulled my 6'x12' enclosed trailer with 3 full sized adventure bikes and all the gear to Las Vegas and back, over 3 big passes, sleet, all the way to 95F in the valley. No problems, well,,,the seat comfort does get less than full marks after 25 hours.
  6. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    best tank on my Xterra cruising flat Hwy was 545km (It was bone stock then) used to get 375 to low light came on (with mods) and could go another 50km or more. With winter gas and bad exhaust I'm 300km to the low light mixed driving.
  7. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never go below 1/4 tank in an EFI vehicle. Good way to burn out your electric fuel pump. On the highway I'm never under 120, never on cruise as this vehicle is a winter vehicle. I also never burn E10 gas in it so regular gas but non-E10 gas. This Quebec Ultramar gas seems to give bad gas mileage but no E10. My unit isn't the Pro4x so it has 16 inch rubber not the bigger tires. Honestly I'm not trying to get good gas mileage. I have this vehicle because there aren't that many real 4x4s out there anymore. This has the motor the right way, has a real transfer case, has a real frame. I wanted a Ford F150 than a Toyota Tacoma but my wife is a genius and she wouldn't get in them. I wish I was as smart as my wife! I'll be mad at the show she put on while vehicle shopping for years to come.
  8. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

Ah yes, i see a gasoline thread in the works. I've had serious issues with corn ethanol 'enhanced' fuel since day one. I've got old bikes, with which the fuel systems do not do well with E5 or E10 or worse. Thank goodness for coast to coast availability of Shell and their E-0% 91 octane. That said, with regard to fuel mileage of E10 versus 91 or 94 Chevron, it's a crap shoot. The lower BTU of ethanol has definitely reduced fuel mileage from the old E-0% 87 of yesteryear. However, higher octane fuels with their 'knock' reducing combustion chamber flame speed suppressant, is also a deterrent to ultimate mileage from a set amount of fuel. I purchase 90% of my gasoline in the USA to avoid the highest fuel costs in North America, because of oppressive 'carbon offset' and transit taxes where I live. Realizing that the gasoline supply chain on the NA west coast and in Metro Vancouver is a north-south delivery chain, where the vast majority of gasoline is supplied by 2 refineries in Washington state [Tacoma and Cherry Point], i know that there's no difference between WA E10 and BC E10. My Ranger is capable of E10 use, so no worries. There is a train of thought that running a fuel tank very low will introduce lingering residual ethanol-water bonded into your system, it truly depends on the design and depth level of the pump pickup location in your tank.
  9. toddiscdn

toddiscdn Take off, EH!

Oddometer:
    My 12 Frontier is about the same, 16-20 mpg no matter what you are doing, any make of 4.0 v6 have never been the best on fuel, Ive had a couple Fords that were the same. My buddies full size Nissan is better on fuel.

When I bought this one I was looking at the Taco and just couldnt pay the price, a 2010 Taco with 110,000 klicks was the same price as this 12 Frontier with 25,000, easy choice imo.

Im a Ford guy in a Nissan, always liked the smaller/mid sized trucks as long as they have decent towing ability which the frontier does, currently waiting on the new Ranger for my next one.
  10. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jeep is scheduled to introduce a pickup for2018 model year . I have a wrangler with the 3.6 litre engine . I towed a trailer ( 2000 lbs.) from Alberta to Comox last week and was surprised at the torque and power it had .It wasn't constantly searching the right gear , torqued along pretty good , easily keeping up with traffic . 19.8 mpg(c) to Nanaimo. Mine is a 2-door , I would think the pickup will be closer to the wheelbase of the unlimited (4-door) . The 2-door tow capacity is 2000 lb. and the 4-door is 3500 lb. Motor options are reported to be 2.? litre turbo , 3.0 litre eco diesel and the 3.6 from the Wrangler . I love my Wrangler as a do all (almost) daily driver.
  11. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    For a machine like the Wrangler, power isn't the issue for towing, it's the short wheelbase that'll kill ya. (Pun intended).

It's the tail wagging the dog scenerio that could easily take control of the Jeep.

12. Adanac rider

Oddometer:
    That's why the unlimited ( 4 door ) has a higher towing rating . I had no problems towing with the short wheelbase , but I was not overloaded and was driving to conditions , ice and snow over the passes.
  13. huron52

huron52 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Always put at least 60% of the weight on the tongue. If not have fun during the ride. Reminds me of a guy that loaded his trailer full of seed hooked it up to his ranger to take it to the field. Drove out the driveway onto the road shifted into second gear and the trailer lifted the back wheels of the truck off the ground, when he stopped, truck and trailer were jack knifed at the bottom of the ditch.
  14. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    60% tongue weight... on a 2000 lb tent trailer. :scratch

Tongue weight is often 10-15% of total trailer weight.

Edit, ok I had to think about that for a minute. Yes, put most of the weight fwd of the axle of the trailer.

15. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IADRTRIDER likes this.
  16. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    There was an article a few years ago in cycle Canada about how thieves used Chrysler minivans to steal sport bikes in Toronto. Seems a caravan with the seats stowed is the ideal bike thief getaway vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
  18. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, by the time I put my 250, my young fella's 65, our gear bags and cooler to go to the track...where do he and his mother sit?
  19. Adanac rider

Oddometer:
    If you can't ride your bike into said hauler it doesn't qualify . On the other hand , I'm not sure I could get it out of there so better theft deterrent .
  20. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    I've got an '84 F150 with the straight six. 4x4 and 8' bed. I thought it had just turned 200k miles, but recently found out it actually has over 300k miles on it. Carbureted and gets 20+mpg highway (will cruise 80mph just fine) and never gets below 14-15 mpg unless I'm hauling something. I've regularly hauled 2500-3000lbs in the bed and it does it just fine. Gets about 12 mpg doing that.

'84 model with a carb gets better mpg than the new stuff and only cost me $600??? Why the hell buy new? Thing only weighs 3800lbs lol. Two feet of snow won't stop it. Lighter than most sedans nowadays. I've owned new trucks. Bought a Chevy 3/4 ton new off the lot right out of high school. Sold a Duramax off when I bought the little Ford. Have maintained my own and my family's Dodge, Ford and Chevy fullsize trucks.... I'm sticking with my old Ford.

oh...and the valve cover gasket and clutch are both original :thumb