What new 1/2 ton would you buy?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CanadianX, Mar 30, 2017.

1. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    My wife's bike might fit in there but neither of my other bikes would. Nor would the four people, two bikes and enough camping gear to keep the wives happy while running the support vehicle during the summer rally season. Article was funny for an entertainment opinion piece but mostly fluff less one key message - don't buy shit you can't afford. As for not buying things you don't need, you'd have to cut a lot deeper for pretty much everyone living in the Western world to get to the basic needs, even by Western world standards.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  2. tattewell

tattewell Mad Poser

Oddometer:
    Brands be damned, buy what you can get a good deal on. They all have their merrits and they all have their flaws.

My comment was more about the price of repairing aluminum and what an insurance claim could do to the re-sale value of your vehicle. If you're going to keep it forever though, that doesn't really matter.
  3. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Asked about that and it hasn't been a big deal. Replacing a panel is replacing a panel as far as accidents go. Minor dings and dents have a bit more of a challenge but its not the first all alum bodied vehicle out there.

All this said and test drives mostly complete I'm still pretty content to get into my old SUV and drive it, a perfectly legit option to buying something new.
  4. farmerger

farmerger Snowed in Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Might as well throw my story into the mix. I was a loyal Ford guy, two Rangers followed by an F250 Powerstroke. Then went to cars, Mazda 6, Honda Accord, Subaru Outback (never, ever, will I buy another Subaru, what a POS but that's a different story) and then a BMW 530Xi. The BMW (quality German engineering and manufacturing) by 140k kms resembled the Exxon Valdez, literally was leaking everything, oil, coolant, power steering, transmission, and a/c refrigerant. Looked at the Nissan's but, and I think this is just as important, my local Nissan dealer/service department suck; wife had a Pathfinder, loved the truck but... I've got two growing boys, 12 and 14, and the Tacoma was just too small, and the Tundra is just plain fugly IMHO. The F150 was OK, the GM cheap plastic (again this is all IMHO) but I ended up taking a RAM 1500 Ecodiesel on a test drive just because I was stuck in town waiting for an accident to be cleared on the highway. Bought the RAM that day. Best pickup I've ever owned, been super reliable, and with mostly highway driving I get 8 to 9L/100km. Got the big crew cab which has enough room to have a small rave in the backseat for the boys. Now at 150k km on it, and hasn't needed anything but regular maintenance.
    [​IMG]
  5. tattewell

tattewell Mad Poser

Oddometer:
    I know what you're saying. Had the wife not written off the Tacoma I wouldn't have bought a new truck.

Loving the Diesel, though it does suck around town.
  6. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    I thought long and hard about going a different route after having had suv's for the last few years:

The Ford transit. Mid-length, mid-height. Lots of room for the bikes, they're inside and out of sight. And with just the big bike in it, all I have to do is throw down an air mattress beside it, and I'm tin camping.

If they made it in a crew version, I'd have done it. Just wanted a panel van with a third seat of some kind. Only in the sprinter can you get that.

Maybe this might work for you?
    Maggot12 likes this.
  7. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    WHAT !!?? The duramax isn't a good 5km commuter vehicle....:lol3
  8. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    So tempted but it won't work for the multi bike multi people set up. Think these are amazing but might not be a good DD, unless you're retired and just exploring.
    http://sportsmobile.com/sportsmobile-4x4/
  9. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

As mentioned, my '85 F150 4x4 with the big cast iron inline 6, was a real tough old girl. I put over 650,000 kms on it, a farmer is still running around hauling hay with it, I sold it 7 years ago. yours still has alot of life in it.
  10. ChuckUFarlie

ChuckUFarlie Send lawyers, guns, and money. The SHTF.

Oddometer:
    I was recently looking at the Transits.... The newer ones must have more space, because the Ford Transit Connect might be tall enough for a bike like a DRZ, but not long enough... the rear doors would have to stay open.

I ended up buying an older GMC Canyon... 2.9l, standard transmission, and I can get 9l/100km on the highway. I don't tow though... I just toss the DRZ in the back and head to the trails.

Mercedes has a 4x4 Sprinter available now: http://www.mercedes-benz-vans.ca/en/sprinter-4x4/cargo-van

A guy I know from another forum brings his track bike all over the place in a RAM Promaster and apparently gets excellent mileage while everything is locked and secured in the back.

[​IMG]
    CanadianX and Maggot12 like this.
  11. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Get the passenger version. Four guys, all your gear in the van nice and dry. And secure. The van has a good tow capacity, haul an enclosed tandem axle trailer no problem.
  12. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

I like those a lot, but they are pricey.
  13. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    for what its worth, we had and loved a 2007 Tacoma trd.... but I got smoked head on about three weeks ago and the taco is, sadly, no more. I narrowlt missed a 1/4 panel on panel collision by making for the ditch, but the other guy took the rear axle clean off....but I digress.... we were going to go with another taco but, oddly enough, they have actually appreciated in value... we paid 17k for a 5 year old taco about 3 and a half years ago but to get a 5 year old taco today would cost at a minimum, 22k+...wild! Needless to say, insurance pay out was decent becasue of this, but went with something cheaper yet just as capable. Ended up finding a 2004 Nissan Titan with less than 180k on the clock. Clean too....towing package and fully loaded. We are liking it...great all round viz, can pull the moon out of orbit should the feeling strike you and comfy as a anything for the long hauls. only real down side is its got a very thirsty V8.... cant have it all. ;) Solid truck though. My uncle had one, as did my current boss....both raved about them....I will likely be doing the same.
  14. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Not going to work for me at this point in time and though I like the idea I'm not ready to fully commit to a van/bike hauler. Already have the enclosed trailer to keep the bikes secure. I can toss the bike on the hitch carrier if it is just me so the SUV still works. I just want something newer and more comfortable for longer trips and with more tow capability should we buy a camper of some sort. I think I've zeroed in on what I'd buy now I just need to let it sit and percolate in my mind for a bit. Incentive to do the spring cleaning on the Xterra, after which I may just decide its still the one for me.

@Jbone11 11 - Checked out the 2017 Titan, very nice and remains near the top of the list. I'm a bit partial to Nissans given I own one now. The Titan I was looking at had lots to love and drove nice the Ford just drove a bit better. Might come down to who has the better deal though as I could be pretty content in either and a new 300 XC would fit nicely in either, the bike has my interest way more than a truck lol.
  15. Millwright98

Millwright98 Share the love, leave the dirt in the garden.

Oddometer:
    Bought an '10 F150 XLT/XTR 4x4 ext cab 6.5'box 5.4L 6auto max tow, new, as a left over in early '11... well worth it for the discounts to get rid of them ( last year of the 5.4 .. incentives were huge).. 170k on the clock now...going to need rocker panels and a few touch ups before next winter.... but no issues other than regular maintenance. Gearing is .355 and Average city/hwy mix is 14L/100km ... driving home to Ontario on US Interstates...easy 11L/100km all the way...130L tank - Halifax to Niagara on 2 tanks has been done multiple times... with 1400# truck camper loaded in the box - Halifax to Old Orchard Beach..16L/100km ....my cousins Eco-Boost doesn't do any better (but it will get you going like a sling shot amd is a savage going up hills with a load on !).......... I have had them all in the 1/2ton category generally middle of the road options wise and have found so far that reliability and cost to operate have always been Ford at the end of the day... your experiences may vary... just my $0.02 ( and hoping Ford follows thru with the small diesel in the '18 F150 ! I'll be ready by 2020 for a new one.) Good luck and enjoy the shopping!
  16. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Six years and a rusty body? Did I read that right? My 2000 dodge was the same.
  17. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Depending on location, conditions, and how much one is driving in it, this is not surprising no matter the vehicle.

I inserted a new hitch receiver/ball last fall and left if on the truck all winter. All the welds and the ball itself is now orange. I can wipe most of it off, but if left on the truck a few years, It'll be a rusted mess.

This can be another topic of discussion, as I do believe ( IMHO) that Honda's and Toyota's hold up better than most.

18. tattewell

tattewell Mad Poser

Oddometer:
    I krown my junk yearly. Say what you will, but my Tacoma was just shy of 10 years old when it got written off and it still looked brand new underneath.
  19. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    I thought this conversation was taking a whole new turn ...
  20. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    On the surface there seems to be some good deals on the leftover 2016 F150s, generally discounted about $10k but then add back fees and calculate interest, if you're not buying outright, and things start to balance out a bit. The 2017s are offered at 0% with a bit of a manufacturer's rebate. A little negotiating and you end up pretty much in the same ball park on overall cost. Looked compelling until I ran the numbers, then it was just meh.