What new 1/2 ton would you buy?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CanadianX, Mar 30, 2017.

1. tattewell

tattewell Mad Poser

Oddometer:
    Gotta keep your junk shiny.
  2. the kaz

the kaz has become "FERAL"

Oddometer:
    completely agree ..... this second try at aluminium was a big mistake
    Steve G. likes this.
  3. the kaz

Oddometer:
    I am pretty sure the bad run of delco/remy pumps that created this "urban legend" has been used up decades ago and the reality is the tank vent issues of the 90's & early 00's is mostly gone now too :p
    toddiscdn likes this.
  4. the kaz

Oddometer:
    I am not really a brand guy except I am very tired of working of dodges or rams or whatever they call them today
    I shopped for a year then ended up with a 2001 gas powered F250 Super Duty because as a mechanic I wish to drive my truck and not fix it or pay lots of money for parts :D
  5. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

These comments from a technician speak volumes to me.
  7. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Nope, I'm in no rush. I know what I want (pretty much settled on a F150 XLT Sport, 5.0) and now I am just letting that sit for a bit. Had a couple chats with the dealers and should have some numbers coming my way next week but my needs are low and my wants haven't peaked yet besides the truck will sit for the summer as summer is bike time. Wife wants me to have a new truck I'm kinda ..meh s'OK if I do s'Ok if I don't. Current SUV runs fine. I'm more spun up about buying a new bike as I think I need some more orange in the garage and that it should be a 2T. :lol3

B-inlaw just picked up a Ktm 150xc for my nephew. Full sized bike but will be more manageable for a newer rider. They'll probably both share it and the current 230F they have. I'm thinking a 250 or 300xc or more likely the 300 xcw would be great to go hare scrambling with this summer vs. the 500exc. Was out for a bit of a ride today, no trails open though. Forgot how hard the 500 comes on if you get to frisky with the throttle.
  8. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    I'm reminded of the reason I buy new vehicles so infrequently - I hate the dealer experience. I find the truck I want, it isn't at the dealer I was initially talking to, we'll call them dealer A. I call the new dealer, call them B, and ask about the truck I'm interested in. Some back and forth to confirm what options it has (though looking at the sticker I know what it has) confirm I'd like a bed liner and eventually get a price. Some more back and forth as I reverse engineer the price to break down the current Ford Canada discounts, the Costco discount and taxes. Compare this to the MSRP and huh, we're a little off so I ask and am told part of it is the cost of the bed line and part of it is the admin fee. By my estimation the admin fee is $800...huh? So I ask what is included in $800 in admin fees. Apparently this gives me two free replacements for lost keys and some sort of rim warranty. Well $250 for title and license seems industry norm, the rest is of no value to me, not like it is a coded and crystal carved Aston key.

Alright back to dealer A. Dealer A told me that if I could find something I wanted on another dealers lot they could probably get it and would give me the best price. Tell the dealer about the truck at dealer B's. He looks it up and we negotiate a price. Bit better than dealer B's offer so I tell dealer A to see if they can get the truck. (We're close to deal I think). Dealer A gets back to me saying yes they can get the truck but it has $3k in accessories. Someone is lying. Dealer B, when I spoke with them never mentioned accessories and on a loaded truck I don't know what you could add in accessories. It comes with everything.

And that is in part why I don't buy new vehicles more often.
    ACR likes this.
  9. the kaz

Oddometer:
    two weeks ago we had some 2017 Ford Transit Cab Chassis trucked out west but when the driver loaded them in Montreal he left the keys on the deck. So original keys are lost ..... no big deal right we still have one spare for each chassis ..... HAHAHHAHA final bill useing ford keys and dealer programing when two good keys for each chassis are not available was $500CA each :p
  10. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

Ah yes, that little point I made earlier about electronic over complication. I rest my case.
  11. nofate

nofate what blackflies?

Oddometer:
    Buy your truck based on your needs. Trucks first purpose should be to haul stuff. Those people who buy crew cab, short bed trucks would probably be better served with a SUV and utility trailer combo. I bought my 2012 GMC Sierra WT 4X4 ,regular cab, 8' box truck new. I found one with the 5.3 litre V8 and 3.09 rear end drive train that would give the best fuel economy and not be light on power. I haul lots of stuff and would buy a truck with a ten foot box if they made one. You can keep those sissy short box trucks. So far the only mechanical issue is the block heater doesn't work. A good basic truck with no luxury features, no carpeting makes it easy to clean the mud off the floor.

What ever brand of truck you buy get it rust proofed every year, especially if you plan to keep it. For $125 a year it's worth it to protect the body from rust. They will all rust and nothing degrades the value of a truck worse than body rust.
  12. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Used trucks make no sense in the current market, used Toyotas even less so.

I shopped used in 2014 when my wife's SUV got written off. Used 4 year old F150 4x4 V8 crew cabs were going for approx. $24k. Instead, I bought the same spec truck in a new 2014 (with better gas mileage and warranty) for $10,500 more.

2 years later, I was killing time while in for service, the same dealer offered me $30k in trade.

Trucks hold their value too much for buying late-model used.

I am happy with mine, and would buy again:

[​IMG]
  13. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Jon, Hope that pic isn't recent...
  14. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Its one way to approach the money pit of car purchasing, and not one I disagree with from a pragmatic point of view. (I might get there eventually). However not many people simply buy based on need. If they did there would be a lot fewer vehicles on the road and most would look like smart cars. Me, I'm buying a little on needs and a lot on wants and as its my money and I'll buy what both appeals to me and what services my limited current/future anticipated need for a pickup. For me a truck will haul the trailer I have easier and will haul the one I might buy in the future. I can toss shit in the back and not dirty up the inside and there's more space that is usable for me. The truck I'm looking at does come with lots of unnecessary luxury features but I can afford them and its what spins my spurs as far as a want for comfort. I don't anticipate needing a 6.5' bed so am happy with the "sissy short box truck" whatever that means. I've lived in some pretty damn minimalistic situations and have enjoyed the lessons that come with suffering and pain so I'm happy to afford myself some of the comforts and luxuries available in this life.
    Adanac rider likes this.
  15. nofate

nofate what blackflies?

Oddometer:
    If you need to haul a trailer and several passengers then it sounds like you are buying the truck that meets your needs.

I was following a truck that had just picked up about a dozen 2x4x8' studs at the Home Depot in Sudbury. He had a short box truck with plastic liner and couldn't close the tail gate and the lumber wasn't strapped down in any way. You can probably guess what happened. As he pulled away from the next stop light all the lumber slid out of the back of his truck and he didn't even notice, just kept on driving. I can pick up plywood and 8' drywall and close the tail gate. I often haul 16' lumber with the tailgate down, but it gets ratchet strapped to keep it in place. A tonneau cover keeps my stuff dry and secure.
  16. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I couldn't live without an 8' bed. Hell, I'd love a 10'. Having the crew cab has worked out incredibly too. Especially with the kiddo on the way. The truck is going to become the kiddo mobile. If I stumbled across a cap I'd buy it too.
  17. JutSeguin

JutSeguin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know you've already made up your mind, but I read the whole thread and feel I deserve to respond. Haha.

Current truck is a 2014 Tundra with 72k kms. I have owned it since June 2016.
    Last truck was a 2009 Tacoma that I bought new and traded in for the Tundra. I wanted a Tundra because I didn't like putting my sled in the back or towing my boat with the Taco. It could do it just fine, but it was a lot of work for me on the 6 speed.
    Before that was just a late 80's Nissan and early 80's Datsun that aren't really relevant.
    Other Toyota trucks owned in my family were: A bunch of older pickups(1985, 1991, 1993, 1981), two 2006 Tacomas, 2006 Tundra (still owned), 2013 Sequioa (still owned), 2012 Tundra (still owned). My 2009 Taco was the only one that was ever bought new.

I buy Toyota's for one reason, reliability where it counts. My trucks have always had a few issues here and there. Anyone that owns a truck for several years will experience some sort of failure. If you claim you haven't then you either don't remember it, didn't notice it or used it a lot less than average. My Tundra will only play sound out of the right speakers. I have to figure that one out, I haven't really tried yet. My Tacoma lost the clutch on the A/C so that didn't work for about a year and when I traded it in, it had a bent strut on the front (not sure how that happened, but the lift and bigger tires could not have helped, I am sure it had nothing to do with my driving it like a trophy truck either).

My point is that in the 40+ years of collective Toyota truck ownership in my family there has been only one failure I can think of that actually prevented one of our trucks from being a truck. That failure was a blown headgasket on an '81. My dad did struggle with an automatic transmission that wouldn't use 3rd in the 85 and a fuel pump issue on the 93, but both problems were on almost 20 year old vehicles and neither prevented daily use of the truck.

Okay, you can now continue with your Ford purchase, I actually have nothing specifically against Ford.
  18. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    :lol3 All comers and opinions are welcome here in the house of the non-judgement.
  19. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    The need is not great but it makes it a bit easier for the occasions when I have four passengers, camping gear and bikes in the trailer. The Xterra has done this but its closing in on the capability limits of the SUV. Ultimately I've seen everything from cows to other cars hauled in or on a Toyota Corolla wagon so "needs" are a pretty loose term :lol3
  20. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    For anything long in a short bead truck a hitch extender is golden. I have said we get 16' lumber in a Honda Ridgeline with it and have traveled quite a distance with it too. https://www.google.ca/search?q=prin...AUIBygB&biw=1024&bih=653#imgrc=ssJFS2oefhrijM: Now princess auto does not carry the one we have but there is another model there, but it is not as good. https://www.princessauto.com/en/det...ed-hitch-mount-truck-bed-extender/A-p8540882e .But anyone with a bit of know how, welding friend could make one easy. For the fool who does not strap his lumber in the back of his truck should be charged, ratchet straps are cheap.