What new 1/2 ton would you buy?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CanadianX, Mar 30, 2017.

1. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Don't see the point of an 8ft box unless you are a Tradesman and using it every day. For the rest of us a 6ft is much more practical for everyday use. Driving a long pickup is just a PIA to the driver and everyone else in the parking lot. Stay away from Chrysler products. IMHO.
  2. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    You get used to it.

I navigated the streets of New Orleans in this setup:

[​IMG]

Just take wide turns, park in a manner you can pull straight out, and when the truck camper is off, fold in the mirrors when parking.
  3. tattewell

tattewell Mad Poser

Oddometer:
    I agree, I have the same thing in a GMC, it's not that bad.
  4. portablevcb

portablevcb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trucks are nice when you need them.

1999 Ford Ranger. Great little truck...except for the computer that controlled all the interior stuff. First the interior lights would not go off (pulled all the light bulbs). Then the drivers window stopped working. Then the passenger window. Everything else was really good on it. Traded it at 95k mi for the 2006 Tundra.

2006 Tundra. Most comfortable car or truck I've ever driven. Yes mileage not that great. 2WD. Had ball joints replaced under warranty. Towed our 7000lb fifth wheel all over the US. Just was not good in our driveway during winter (10%grade) so needed a 4WD. Toyota did not make a 4WD with enough bed capacity for the trailer so...

2009 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. Still have this one at 110k miles. We went to a larger trailer (11,000lb) and it tows it nicely. Has over 30k miles towing. Mileage is 17 in town, around 20 on the highway at 70mph (17mpg at 80mph) and around 11mpg towing the fifth wheel. It had the ball joints replaced under recall. Nothing else done on it except regular maintenance.

Yes, I have had older trucks, but, they were all beat up by the time I got them. All did the job asked of them.

Truck layout. All of ours have been crew cabs with regular (6.5ft) beds. I have a slider hitch for the fifth wheel in case I need it (never have). Why that combination? 1) cause the dog likes a big back seat :) 2) we do like to take some people with us every now and then 3) can't stand the length of an 8ft bed with crew cab (yes, I have managed to carry 12ft lumber and tie down 8ft stuff with the tailgate down :) ).

Which one should you get? Try them all, pick the one you want. They are all about equal for maintenance and breakdowns. For every Dodge story there is a similar Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Nissan story. Big thing. Do not get a truck that is marginal for your needs. If you need to tow 10,000lb for a lot of miles then get a truck rated for quite a bit over that. Your transmission will thank you :)
    Maggot12 likes this.
  5. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mercifully no. Just grabbed one of the truck.
  6. nofate

nofate what blackflies?

Oddometer:
    I had a long box with extended cab GMC before. I had to pass up many parking spaces and the rear tire would often run over the curb at intersections. I realized that I rarely carried passengers and could probably do without the extended cab. The regular cab was shorter, cheaper and lighter and now I can park in smaller places. It serves me well. The long box was the priority though. I haul enough firewood, building materials, motorcycle, snowmobile, furniture etc. that maximum load possibilities trumps whatever convenience a short box offers.
  7. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let me Guess , your wife ran off with a Dodge salesman :ear
    Steve G. likes this.
  8. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had 2 F150s with the 3.5EB, a '13 XLT FX4 and a '16 Lariat with the 302A package. My previous truck was a crew cab Chevy with a 6 litre engine. What I like the most about the EB power train is how well it tows. When we head out to have fun, the truck is typically packing a couple dirt bikes in the bed, and towing a 7000 pound trailer. With the old truck, the engine was always thrashing away up in the rev range to pull this load down the road. That made the towing experience stressful for me. The EB pulls without any drama at all, and with the turbos, it still pulls hard up over high elevation passes. Fuel mileage can be excellent if you can stay out of the boost, I have seem trips at 30 or so MPG, but that requires me to obey the speed limit, which is hard. When I traded my '13, my dealer gave me a great deal as they were making some money selling used trucks into the US. I also got a very hefty discount off of MSRP and 0% financing. As a clincher, the dealer agreed to a detail/wash every 2 weeks as long as I own the truck!

So far on both F150s I've had, there have been no issues with reliability, and the only warranty claim I had was for the passenger side mirror failing to defrost. I heard nightmare stories about panel fit on the aluminum trucks, so I went over the '16 with a fine tooth comb and it was as close to perfect as I have seen. I like the huge, flat load floor in the rear of the crew cab, with the seats up you can stash a TON of stuff back there in locked up security which is important for me.

The only bad part of owning the Fords has been the pokes I get from my Dad who is a GM loyalist. Even he has to admit he really likes the ride when he's in my truck though.
    Fun_Wagon.jpg
  9. 2old2care

2old2care Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why are Fords trucks the best selling vehicle in the World????

They have proven themselves over & over again, so why question what is fact?
  10. the kaz

the kaz has become "FERAL"

Oddometer:
    because ford adds their entire sales numbers of anything built on a "frame" to keep ahead of Chevy or GMC ????

I am not a ford hater LOL just being realistic and sarcastic in the same sentence :p
    Maggot12 and Steve G. like this.
  11. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Zero brand loyalty here, was a little bias to Nissan as that is what I own and its been a great SUV. Grew up on chevs but I'm indifferent, though have yet to drive a new full size chev/gm but I think the ford will be tough to beat.

I have a deal worked out for a 2017 F150 XLT Sport in Magnetic with 302A pkg and a 5.0 It has navigation and tailgate step and spray in liner, just missing the trailer brake controller. Have the dealer down to $56,300 on the road. Mulling it over.

I could live with less truck, as I said this is 15% need and 85% want as far as this particular truck and its options and I could live with my Xterra for a few years two. It'll be a hard vehicle to give up as it just works so well.
  12. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The tailgate step is genius if you ever haul anything in the bed, especially dirt bikes.
  13. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like Dodge trucks with Cummins motors . Exhaust on the left and Fuel on the right . One head . Simpler . I like Ford trucks , I don't like their Diesel motors . When Jeep comes out with a pickup I'll change . More multi use and better as a daily driver. I think :scratch
    Mr. Canoehead likes this.
  14. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Need to drive a truck as I tend to drive them ...well like a truck, just cruise no real rush, which is unlike driving MrsCdnX's car. Off to see the in laws this weekend and took MrsCdnX's little GTI. 150km/h feels like a normal cruising speed and its effortless to the car. Turns out speeds approaching this are considered "speeding", in some parts of this country, specifically those parts that have a police car and radar.

The very nice policeman indicated that my 139km/h speed wasn't quite worthy of a warning and he had to ticket me so he wrote me up for 10-15 in excess and not the more serious 139km/h. On the Trans-boring-Canada Hwy I do tend to move along at a good clip and even though 130 in a 110 is about the norm for most cars on the TCH these days, it is still speeding. Turns out a new truck would save me money, or so I tried to explain to MrsCdnX who was having a laugh at my $235 expense.

Maybe I'll start a JM thread about how I was done wrong and no victim no crime and all that shit :lol3
  15. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    My experience in New Brunswick is 80 in a 110 is about normal.
  16. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Everyone seems to move along at 125km or more which is a reasonable argument to up the limited to 120 or 130, some rule about the 80th percentile yada yada... I can't get all excited about it; for the amount of "speeding" I've done in a life time the cost has been 100th of a penny for the km driven. But I did stop riding sport bikes because its easy to get very unreasonable very quickly. Off road the only limit is common sense, trees and rocks.
  17. tattewell

tattewell Mad Poser

Oddometer:
    You can be in a diesel for that money. Perhaps not a need, and it would be more stripped down though. A buddy has the ram 2500 cummins in a more base model package, and it is a nice truck. Only Dodge I would own as they don't make the motor... just a thought, and you then have a truck with capability to grow.
  18. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Naw, not interested in the diesel. To much truck for my needs. I see that Ram is offering the diesel at no cost which puts it close for a base model so if someone was interested it would be a solid option for a heavy hauler.
  19. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    You may want to check dealers in Ont.

I bought a Ram Sport last august and looked at the F150 Sport as well before we moved. 12k plus less in Ont vs NS. An F150 Sport was 42k.

20. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Yeah definitely a more competitive market but looking on line (haven't contacted a dealer) the prices and discounts are the same. Saving 2% on tax helps though. Was on the dealer lots this Friday in Halifax and they had a 5.5' box next to a 6.5' box....had me thinking. Can't put two bikes in a 5.5' and close the tailgate which would be a problem if towing a trailer of any sort. Clearly I need to sit on this for a little bit longer.