What not to miss while in Austin / San Antonio?

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by fifthcircle, Feb 3, 2010.

1. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    Taking the wife, and getting out of this damn winter hell at the end of Feb.

Austin 2/20 - 2/21
    San Antonio 2/22 - 2/24

Any advice on what to see, or at least what is a must see.

On the list so far:
    Mellow Johnny's
    6th St. (I was told to just walk around and check out the live music)

River Walk (no specifics)
    Alamo

-5th
  2. KLR771

KLR771 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2/20 go to carnaval !!!!!!!!!!
  3. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    Is it worth it? I saw that tickets were $35. I can drink a lot of whatever beer is on special for $35 at the bars. :deal
  4. Ninthlord

Ninthlord Cadmium Enriched

Oddometer:
    ...in NW Austin. But only if you like naked coeds. OK,OK...Chuy's on Riverside, the Broken Spoke, and of course 6th. And if you want to feel what a real helmet is, stop by the governor's mansion and touch Rick's hair.

Be sure to stop in West (exit 353) and go to Nemecek Bros. on the way home. Best sausage and easy to get to. Try the ring bologna, the west specials and the hot chubs. I typically get a pound of each.

BTW - I rode down there last week and there is a lot of construction on 35.

Stop in New Braunfels and try the Smokehouse. Go to the Comal. If you're feeling jiggy, head west and go to Guadalupe SP. Get out to Fredricksburg if you can, your wife will love it.
  5. Mr. Disaster

Mr. Disaster Professional Gypsy

Oddometer:
    Austin
    6th Street will make you feel like a pedophile unless you stay on the western side.

Chuy's is a must, ask for the Jalapeno dip with your chips.

The Capital building is nice. Mount Bonnell, Zilker Park.

Go to Carnaval instead of 6th.

San Antonio
    River Walk
    Alamo
    There is some mexican market area too but I can't remember the name.
  6. KLR771

KLR771 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes its worth it I bought 5 tickets . You can drink alot of beer for $35 but ,will there be 100's of topless women drinking with you? I dont think so.....
  7. Motowalt

Motowalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Contact the good guys at Destination Cycles at Kerrville (Suzuki/Yam dealer) or Texas Motorcycle Adventures in San Antonio and rent a bike for the day and ride the Hill Country. The weather should be just perfect then.

Be sure to stop at the Motorcycle Museum at Vanderpool (good Aussie meat pies for lunch) and say hi to the good folks at the Motorcycle Stop in Leakey. (that's gotta be better than trying to ride in Omaha at this time of year...:D I know, I used to live in Des Moines)

The wife will like Fredericksburg...lots of shops and a few good restaurants...if you like sugary substances, check out Rather Sweet restaurant...owned and operated by Dan Rather's neice...she's written several cookbooks and does great baked goods in addition to lunch...but get there early for lunch to beat the crowds...

When you visit the Alamo be sure to listen to an outdoor presentation (given every half hour or so) in the courtyard...the interpretor will tell a good story with details you may not know...then stroll next door to the Menger Hotel and Bar...where Roosevelt recruited his rough riders...they say the place is haunted...they have a very nice courtyard with comfortable chairs - take a nap in the warm sunshine protected from the wind- no one will mind...we are pretty laid back down here in San Antone...have some Mexican food/beer at Mi Tierra downtown next to the Mexican market where you can buy cheap trinkets to send home...be sure to go for a boat ride on the riverwalk...the boat operators will tell you lots of interesting facts about the city/buildings, etc along the way...go to the top of the
    Tower of The Americas and get a great view of the entire city...we also have a great zoo with wonderul landscaping, but it will be a little early for things to be in full bloom...also have a nice Botanical Center, good for a long stroll with the wife...enjoy your trip!
  8. Ninthlord

Ninthlord Cadmium Enriched

Oddometer:
    ...16 and the 330s out of Kerrville if you have the chance. They're called the Twisted Sisters for a reason. Just be careful. We Careflighted one guy last year. Leakey, Vanderpool, all good stops. Whats that apple pie place called?
  9. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    The apple place is in Medina. Tx. My advice, stay off 1-35 south and take US 281 south for a taste of the real Texas. I would head to Luckenbach and leave 6th street to the college kids. 3 Twisted Sisters is RR(Ranch Road) 335.336.337. around Leakey, TX. Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop just west of Leakey is a good stop. Utopia Cafe in Utopia, Tx has great daily specials and excellent pie. So does Koffee Kup Kafe in Hico. Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls has the same. Coopers BBQ in Llano is also worth the trip. Salt Lick BBQ outside Austin(Driftwood) is a must. Hilltop Cafe west of Frederiksburg(Tourist Town) is a great little place. I could go on and on.
  10. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    Spend a day outside and hike Enchanted Rock. I love that place.
  11. tomski74

tomski74 Silesian American Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out San Antonio Missions National Historic Park (early 1700s) and if possible try to make it to Mariachi mass on Sunday.

http://home.nps.gov/saan/

You can also take Bandera Road (Hwy 16) to Bandera - self proclaimed Cowboy Capital of the World :D. It's only 50 miles from SA.

Riverwalk is always fun and if you go to the Alamo make sure to stay for the Alamo story told by one of their very knowledgeable guides.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  12. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    When in Bandera you need to check out the OST Restaurant. Old Spanish Trail. A Texas Classsic. Great Roads from all directions from Bandera.
  13. HeartlessMachine

HeartlessMachine El Chingadero

Oddometer:
    I personally don't enjoy 6th street the way most people seem to. I'm not interested in getting hammered, and having drunk college kids bump into me and scream in my ear. But sometimes people think I'm boring. So whatever.

I agree with previous poster who suggested renting a bike and checking out the hill country. There are some really gorgeous roads out there.

Chuys is my favorite restaurant ever. My wife loves the creamy jalapeno dip, which they used to bring automatically, but now you have to request it. She absolutely thinks you should try it.

Since it's the live music capital of the world, you should consider taking in a concert at one of the many local venues. Stubbs, Continental club, etc.

Go to a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse. You can sit and order food and beers, etc in the middle of the movie. Good times.

There's some good shopping on South Congress (SoCo), in a stretch of only a couple of blocks. Uncommon Objects for wacky antique stuff, Big Top for every single kind of candy you can think of, and Monkey See Monkey Do for picking up silly trinkets for everyone back home.

After it all, there's your choice of a couple of 24-hour diners. Star Seeds has a dish called the A-Baum. It's an english muffin topped with scrambled eggs, sausage, and smothered in queso. Similarly, both locations of Magnolia serve "Eggs Zapatino" which is almost the same, but it's a smaller serving, with a side of home fries.

I can't recommend anything specific in San Antonio, because I don't get out there very often.
  14. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the suggestions fellas!

Sounds like 6th St is just like O St in Lincoln. Might check it out a little earlier in the evening before the college crowd gets to trashed. I'm only 32, so I'm not some old geezer :hide :lol3

Not sure my wife would enjoy hundreds of topless women....but I'll ask. I'll be sure to wear one of my ADV t-shirts as often as possible. You know, just in case one of you FF's wanna buy me a beer :deal

I would love to rent a bike (rather just ride mine down there), but the wife doesn't like to ride. So that's out for this trip.

Regarding Chuys, when is a good time to go to not have to wait? Sounds like there is always a line.....

Thanks again!:clap
    -Kurt
  15. Mr. Disaster

Mr. Disaster Professional Gypsy

Oddometer:
    Lunch is less of a wait.
  16. HondoTX

HondoTX Rode hard. Put up wet.

Oddometer:
  17. DaWhip

DaWhip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yah, Esthers Follies is cool. I would walk 6th street about 10 or so, just to say you did. It is interesting, but I don't wanna make a night of it too often. On 6th and Nueces there is a cool blues joint that is usually no cover called Nuno's. I like to stop in and have a few beers and listen to whoever they have playin. Red River is better music scene IMO. Just walk a few blocks up on Red River from 6th and you'll get the jist of it.

You can grab luch at the Salt Lick on the way to San Antonio, if you take the long way. It's a nice ride to and through Wimberley and past that to get to S.A.

During the day, walk South Congress. A lot of good food and awesome unique shops between Oltorf and Riverside.
  18. tehsKater86

tehsKater86 Godspeed

Oddometer:
    There is so much to see in both San Antonio & Austin, that you won't be able to do it all in a weekend. I second taking 281 down there, it can make for a great road trip, especially if you have a GPS and don't mind getting a little lost :evil.

For my birthday last summer we went to Fredericksburg (so much fun by the way! Awesome food everywhere we went, and tons of live music). 281 to 71 south of Horseshoe Falls, then we found a tiny little road over to 16. County Road 315. It was incredible! And you can find those roads all over. They don't call it the hill country for nothing. In fact, on the way home we didn't get on a single freeway between Fredericksburg and Burleson TX. Greatness!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Oasis at Lake Travis yet. It's a total tourist mecca, but the food is pretty good and the views are to die for. Plan on a leisurely dinner though :lol3 Also, if you miss Chuys (which you shouldn't), I loved Baby Acapulco, and there are several locations.

Once you get done playing in Austin, take 290 west through Dripping Springs. The Salt Lick is hidden back in there aways, similar great county roads. Then get back on 281 and head to San Antonio. There may be another more interesting drive to get there, but I've driven that before and it was nice. There is plenty to do along the Riverwalk, and a stop by the Alamo is a must. The Shiner Brewery would be a fun little trip too, it's a good ways east of San An though, you'd have to plan to make time for it.

I hope you enjoy your stay in the Hill Country & Central Texas! It's one of my favorite places in the world, and I plan to live there eventually... one of these days!
  19. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    Putting that on the list. Looks like my kinda place....I see it's "cash only" at that location. :lol3
  20. HeartlessMachine

HeartlessMachine El Chingadero

Oddometer:
    Yes, cash only. But there's an ATM by the door if you forget.

Salt Lick is where I recently dropped of the "tag" in the TX tag-o-rama thread. You can see a plate of charred animal flesh in the thread, as well. It might get your appetite stirred up.

As for Chuy's... They have a happy hour (which is when I usually try to go) with a free nacho bar. You can serve yourself free queso, taco meat, etc. and make your own basket of nachos. But that's when it's most crowded. Sometimes my heartlesswife convinces me to go in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday. That's when the place is vacant.

Damn. I'm going to Chuy's this weekend. I can't talk about it and not go. Damn.

If I see you wearing your ADV shirt while you're here, I'll definitely buy you a beer. You'll recognize me because I'll be the ugliest eyesore you could ever imagine.