What not to miss while in Austin / San Antonio?

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by fifthcircle, Feb 3, 2010.

1. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:

Not possible. ADVrider's are the handsomest bunch since the Dirty Dozen :deal

Austin 2/20-21
    Planning on Chuy's for afternoon lunch as soon as we get checked in to the hotel. Followed by a trip to Mellow Johnny's....anyone ever seen Lance there?
    Wife wants to go to Bess Bistro (probably that night)...anyone ever seen Sandra or Jessie there? Then off to see what this whole music b.s. is about.... Wife isn't interested in the comedy thing, so we probably won't be going to Esther's.

Shopping, relaxing and maybe the Oasis on Sunday evening, so it's hopefully not too busy.

San Antonio 2/22-24
    Drive down via The Salt Lick, check in and and head down for drinks along the river walk.
    Alamo on Tuesday.

That's as far as I gotten planned so far. Gonna plug it all in the Garmin so's we don't get lost! :wink:
  2. Mr. Disaster

Mr. Disaster Professional Gypsy

Oddometer:
    :poser I hear they have a couple karaoke singers there that do a mean Monty Python too.
  3. tehsKater86

tehsKater86 Godspeed

Oddometer:
    Heck yeah!! :rofl

And the most awesomest burrito I have ever had in my life! In fact, I wish I could have one right now.... mmmmm.
  4. Motowalt

Motowalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you eat at the Chuy's on North Lamar, you could "accidentally" park in the lot next door, which just happens to be Lone Star BMW...

"Oh, sorry Hon, I must have parked in the wrong lot. Well, since we're here, we might as well stroll inside and look at all the cool bikes and accessories before we eat lunch" :lol3

Definitely avoid I-35 and take 281 south to San Antonio...waaaay less traffic and beautiful Hill Country scenery...
  5. HeartlessMachine

HeartlessMachine El Chingadero

Oddometer:
    The wife and I just went to Baby Acapulco's for an early dinner and they were CLOSED! I guess they gave everyone the night off so they could watch the Super Bowl (TM) with their families. So we went to the Chuy's on North Lamar instead. Yum yum!

(I work literally just around the corner from Mellow Johnny's, and I've never seen Lance hanging around, although I'm sure if he's ever there, he's busy and so am I.)
  6. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    I follow Lance on twitter (yeah, I know.... :lol3 ). Last week I saw a tweet that he was there for some photo shoot type thing. I'm hoping I see a tweet like that while we are in Austin.... can you say LONG SHOT!

I hear there is a kick ass rockabilly bar. Anyone been to the Continental Club?

EDIT: I just looked at their website and realized that Heartless mentioned that already. It's on my list for sure! I'm a huge Rev. Horton Heat fan.....
  7. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Perfect! :evil
  8. DaWhip

DaWhip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope I'm not crushing your dreams, but if you happen to run into Lance, stay away. Certified A-hole. I have run into him and I know a lot of others that have and I've heard no good things about him in person.

There is a celebrity presence at the Salt Lick pretty often though. I saw Sandra Bullock and peed next to Matthew McConaughey.
  9. Supahflid

Supahflid Wheelieless Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm taking my wife to SA that weekend too! My son and I rode over there last March and had a wonderful trip. We absolutely loved TEXAS!

Last year we did the Salt Lick, that big rock not too far from Austin, Fredericksburg, the Pacific War Museum... I'm sure the wife and I will do some of the same. Ya'll keep the suggestions coming!
  10. Supahflid

Oddometer:
    Ok, I wanna do the museum.

How close to the Riverwalk is Mi Tierra?
  11. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've heard a few similar stories, I'm not too worried about it. Doubt he'll be anywhere near there that weekend. His old ass better be out training hard to keep up with the younger cyclists. :lol2

Woulda been way cooler if you saw McConaughy and peed next to Bullock! :wink:

Hey Supah - Since we won't be to SA till Monday, make sure you don't drink all the beer on the river walk. I want some too!
  12. mike

mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    6th street is way overrated. If you go there after dark be aware of your surroundings. Seriously.
  13. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    Can I be in SoCo after dark? :freaky
  14. mike

mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe. :lol3
  15. Mr. Disaster

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with SoCo after dark. Just don't slip in the patchouli oil
  16. Supahflid

Oddometer:
    :D I'll try to leave some dregs!
  17. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:

I'll wear my berkinstock's to blend in.... :huh
  18. Aanarchy

Aanarchy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Visit the Nelson A. Rockefeller Center for Latin American Art at the San Antonio Art Museum. He donated a collection built over a lifetime along with several million dollars to build a wing to house it.

I think Riverwalk is an over-rated tourist attraction.

Chuy's - are ya kidding? It's a chain, and yeah pretty good food and fun, but there is a lot of more authentic and better tex-mex in Austin and SA than that. In Austin, try Manuel's on Congress downtown (more pricy but great), or Curra's on Oltorf south of the river west of I35.

Oh, and absolutely do not miss the Cathedral of Junk! Follow this link - http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/7816
  19. Mr. Disaster

Oddometer:
    Forgot about Curra's, better than Chuy's but they don't have the Jalapeno Ranch stuff! :tb
  20. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer: