What other rims work on the DRZ 400

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by TempleMOUNT, Sep 27, 2020.

1. TempleMOUNT

TempleMOUNT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Thumpers,

JUst got into a DRZ 400 with SM wheels (17 front and back). Do you know what type of wheels ( example Honda CRF 450) work? Are motocross rims mostly universal / compatible or do I need to stick with suzuki? Also IS the 21" the bext option up front for off road or are there other sizes that work the same that are more readily available?

Im in Atlantic Canada if anyone knows where that is and knows a lead on some wheels. Thank you
  2. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is the bike a DRZ400E with SM rims or is it a DRZ400SM with the inverted (USD) forks?

Off-road I'm all in favor of a 21" rim up front. Just better getting over ruts.

Not a DRZ guru here, but I know that RM250 front wheels also fit a DRZ400. RM hubs lack the tabs to connect to the speedometer drive. Also, 1996 and earlier RM hubs are 20mm narrower across the bearings so axle spacers would be necessary. Brake rotors are interchangeable.

21"/17" is a common combination for 650cc and larger ADV bikes. 21"/18" is more common for dirt bikes. More dirt oriented 18" rear tires available.

If you can find a good person to lace and true your wheels,, you can pick up any good 21" and 18" 36 hole rims and sets of spokes and use the same hubs (but then you can't swap back to the SM wheels). My wheel guy says that if you want new rims at a low price, the Warp9 rims are good and you could get spoke kits from them as well.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  3. TempleMOUNT

TempleMOUNT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really appreciate the feedback! It sounds like I'm better off buying a full wheel used rather than a rim. That way I can have wheels for dirt and wheels for road..I'm not sure though...