What our bikes really need....?

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by gearsoup, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Bonalan65

Bonalan65 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about some reasonably priced mounting blocks for crash bars or forks or just brackets that actually work
    For mounting highway pegs or lights and such
  2. gearsoup

gearsoup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm willing to consider anything, as long as it fits under a couple loose guidelines..
    1) Relative ease of manufacture. Gears, tubing bending, welding, these are not a good fit for my shop at this point.
    2) Marketability. I'm a realist. I don't expect to retire off this, or even put a kid through college. Aerospace is my bread and butter. However, if I can maintain a trickle of income off these ideas, I'm happy (and if you have a spouse, you might be able to read between the lines)
  3. gearsoup

gearsoup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The first thing I need to do is dump my KLX250 so I can free up room in my garage for an F800GS.. All these ideas are great, but without the bike in front of me to actually visualize them...
  4. Mala Suerte

Mala Suerte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Although the F800 is a great bike, there are a lot of existing farkles and manufacturers. Look at the smaller dual sports, for example WRs and KLXs. A lot of guys are going to the smaller bikes and the market, at least for the KLX, has really developed.
  5. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not certain how wedded you are to the idea of the Loncin twins. If not much, may I suggest something for the Yamaha WR250X? The X model was the supermoto variant, the R, the dual purpose. (The F, a completely different machine.). As a supermoto, the X has a larger diameter front brake rotor than the much more popular R. There are rotor guards available but only for the R, which has the smaller rotor. A number of owners, myself included, have a 21/18" wheel-set in addition to the 17/17" sumo set. Just about all of us stick with one rotor diameter for both sets, usually the larger X size. And many of us would like to protect that rotor while offroading with our 21" wheels.

My suggestion/request is for a front rotor guard for the WR250X. This would entail machining of Al stock and maybe tapping bolt holes, depending on design. No welding or bending involved.

These have been produced before but discontinued after the X model was withdrawn from the North American market. (As I understand it). Threrfore, not enough percieved demand for the larger manufacturers. Maybe enough demand for a small shop?
  6. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Gearsoup, did you say what state you are in?
  7. gearsoup

gearsoup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, missed that post. I'm in Southern Maine
  8. dhally

dhally Hammerhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a local guy, Richland Rick, who makes vstrom parts. He started part time with some basic items like footpegs relocation and fork brace. He is now full time and has branched out somewhat.

I think one key to his success was starting with a very popular bike that has a dedicated forum.

http://www.adventuretech.biz
    gearsoup likes this.
  9. gearsoup

gearsoup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, totally hear that. The F800 does have it's own forum (f800riders.org) but the traffic there is quite low. Which I do find interesting considering the amount of F7 and 8's out there
  10. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    The Parallel Universe here on advrider is much more popular.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    gearsoup likes this.